Wise Words from the BTDT - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With DD, my 1st pregnancy, I was on DDC for Apr 2008 and would've liked to have seen a thread like this. I just watched episode 2 of Season 3 of Mad Men where Bets has her 3rd kid. The horror! The hospital procedures and such of the 60s. Although much has changed, they can still take a very controlling/commanding approach.

For some of us, homebirth is not an option, to those going to a hospital, here are some words for what you can do ONCE you're there. There's been great discussion about how to plan for the best birth in a hospital. Still, it all starts with how you walk in the door.

1. If you've got it in you, don't check in via the EMERGENCY entrance, you'll be treated like an emergency. Walk yourself to the maternity section if possible. I was 6 cm when I entered with DD and SHOULD have walked myself up there. Labor at home as long as possible, they'll be so pleased that you're already so far along.

2. Have your paperwork prepared in advance, even if a hospital is your back up option. It will minimize the logistics/procedures that need to be handled.

3. When you're getting prepped, hospitals, particularly teaching ones, love to have interns/residents come in. You CAN refuse this and keep to your core team, don't be shy. Present that upfront-write it into the birth plan, so you don't have to turn anyone away, if you think that will make things awkward.

4. Once the baby is out, if you can't get a wheelchair within a timely manner (30 mins of getting all cleaned up) walk yourself to your recovery/private room. As slowly as I had to walk over to my own room, it sure earned me the 'bad ass' badge by the midwives and nurses.

5. After 12 hours of being in your own room, feel free to request to leave/be discharged. They have enough data to support you can handle yourself if your vitals AND the baby's vitals are reading normal/great.

Always go with your instinct!
#2 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 AM

Thanks

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
#3 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 AM

i agree-stay at home as long as possible!
i woke up at 5am with real contractions and was so excited! i knew from my last appt i was at least 3 cm dilated. i wanted to get this show on the road-let's have this baby!!
when i got there, even though i had a midwife tending to me, i was positive for the strep? or whatever bacteria, so i had to go on an iv and there i laid, strapped to the bed, ALL DAY!
well, i didn't give birth until 9:15pm. it was a long day. not fun.

i also allowed the midwife to break my water, which i would not do again. once the water is broken, the contractions came so fast and so hard, with no break in between. after an hour or so i felt delirious. and i was only 5 cm. its my opinion that the water breaks when the body is ready to go that final mile into pushing the baby out. (this is withstanding other extraneous circumstances, of course)

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#4 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM

After the baby is born, don't be in a rush to invite visitors. I always get this post-birth adrenaline rush and want everyone I know to come and look at how cute my baby is, but it is tiring to have visitors, even if you're just laying in bed while people come and talk to you. Everyone's going to be excited but don't let them infringe on your rest, you need it badly!!!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#5 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hooray! Keeping adding to the tips!

Nice to see a 'ditto' on the stay home and labor as long as possible vibe.

I agree about the visitors. We had 2 (outside of my DH and mother), my Godmother and a very close friend. That was about all I could handle. On this go, my DS and I will need more bonding time. He has a cleft lip and palate so I'd like to absorb/integrate that as much as possible before welcoming visitors.
#6 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM

DON'T OVERPACK! Or, at least, TRY not to.

Juggling all the stuff you're convinced you'll need is a major pain. Two small bags are easier to manage than one giant bag. Do not pack pre-pregnancy clothes to go home in. Even if you CAN fit back into them, the rest of us will hate you for it.

If, for some unplanned or planned reason, you wind up having a c-section, do not pack pants with a waist band that would rest on your incision. I haven't had one, but I've heard from a lot of people who find out the hard way!

Do pack some sort of nursing pillow. It could take a nurse ages to get you extra pillows... if she even remembers to.

Practice using your carseat in advance. Many hospitals will not allow you to leave with Baby unless you show they're properly secured. Not all new dads are good under that kind of pressure.

If you're nursing, decline the formula "welcome" bag. They're designed to sabotage, and they do a good job of it. For some reason, every nurse I've had has acted offended when I refuse it, but I really don't care.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page