new born clothes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our first baby, and I honestly don't have a clue how many outfit/undershirt I need for the baby? I got the CD down, and have 3.5 dozens of yellow prefolds and some BGs. But clothing?? I don't have the slightest clue? Even how many pair of socks and hats do we need? I got the part that when it's dirty, we gotta change. but an estimate?? Maybe 3 onesies a day and 3 undershirt?? I am trying to limit the $$ we spent on clothing since LO will be home all of the time except for Docs appt.

And can I wash the clothes together with CD? That for sure will be wash every other day.

I truly don't know. Any info is truly appreciated.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 PM

We went through newborn clothes quickly, and a few of my kids never fit into them. I wouldn't buy too many...maybe one pack of onesies, a couple pairs of socks and hats. Make sure you have plenty of prefolds or burp cloths so the baby will soil his clothing less frequently and you'll have to change him less (or her).

I washed clothes together with CDs. Not always, but sometimes I wasn't in the mood to do an extra load of laundry, especially if it was a small load. I wouldn't do it if the CDs were REALLLLLLLY dirty but if they were just wet they went in with the regular laundry. Just make sure you don't use fabric softener or bleach or anything.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#3 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM

I do NOT wash clothes with diapers. Diapers have to be washed on hot, dried on hot (unless you're line drying), and I don't want clothes put through that torture. Plus, the detergent I use for clothes is not good for cd's. Not to mention, I use larger quantities of detergent for clothes than I do for cd's.

I'm shooting to have 3 outfits/day on hand, multiplied by the amount of days between loads, plus one, just to be on the safe side! That's probably about a dozen outfits for this baby.

I go a bit lighter on socks, since the only way they usually get dirty is if there's an ill-timed kick into an open diaper.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#4 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ddcc...

We had a rule... we only changed for poop or pee or if he smelled. (sometimes not pee ). It made life a heck of a lot easier, esp since ds would sob through each change.

We got through with 3 nb side snaps, 5 nb onsies, 5 0-3 onsies, 1 package socks, 2-3 sleepers and 2-3 hats that ds refused to wear. Also, we had 3-4 swaddle blankets. I wish we had a few more side snaps. We (meaning DH) did laundry every day, or every other day; but it was easy since we just kept everything in his basket.

We also staggered clothing-- so he was wearing all the nb stuff and 0-3 month stuff at the same time. then the 0-3, and 3-6 ect. We bought the clothing in packs or sets (5 onsies on a hanger etc), so that they all coordinated with the 2-3 pants or hats that we had. I felt we did a really great job minimizing both cost and headache this way. We were able to keep our system really simple for about 6-8 months until he started recieveing a lot of gifts of 'grown up' clothing-- tees and jeans etc.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM

I have washed prefolds with clothing before but it always results in detergent build up (the stinkies) since you generally use more detergent for clothing than you do for diapers. I don't do it anymore. It's not worth the stink.

I'm sure I have way more clothes than I need but they're all thrift store or free. I would shoot for 3-4 outfits per day, just in case you have poo blowouts or major spitups which can happen a few times a day. Some short sleeve and some long sleeve or rompers. 4-6 pr socks or booties, several hats, some kind of jacket/winter romper.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Three or four outfits a DAY?

I just put my kid in a bib.

I had: five sleepers (the kind with elastic at the bottom), five kimono / footie pant sets, a couple warm shirts, ten pairs socks, five little hats, and then three or so nice seasonal outfits for each age. I did have little booties.

And I washed the cotton stuff with the diapers, Oxy-Clean, hot water and all.

They've lasted through two kids well enough.

I changed for every pee. Oh, and a tip... if baby spits up often but not mounds, just buy two or three ten packs of bibs. If baby's a spitter, you can always get more.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#7 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM

I agree - no washing clothes with diapers. Gross. We DO wash newborn clothes with grown up clothes though, and it's really, really easy to accumulate a load a day in the beginning. You are going to go through more than one outift in a day at first too!
We had almost no newborn stuff. I think the only newborn stuff we had/have is one nice coming home from the hospital sleeper and undershirt, and one extra for special occasions. The rest is all 0-3. But, I make big babies, and knew I would given the family history. You might be different.
I aim for 3-4 onesies and 2 sleepers/outfits per day, and keep about a 3 day supply on hand. We use wool socks, and get away with only 3-4 pairs because you can get more than one day's use out of one pair, which makes up for the fact that you have to air dry them. But, we live in Canada, and winter is not exactly balmy. I think you could get away with less in a warmer climate. ie: I doubt you'd need to put a onesie and wool socks under a full on sleeper on a new baby in, say, Florida.

Final note though - Do NOT buy anything now. Seriously. Unless it's super cheap at the thrift store, or has big meaning to you, don't buy any clothing. I swear the stuff just falls out of the sky. It's great!

For greater things are yet to come...

#8 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Three or four outfits a DAY?

I just put my kid in a bib.
Lol! Your kid must have been born with excellent aim. Mine goob and puke all over the place. Nevermind the diaper blow outs!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#9 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Skin is washable...cheaper and easier than laundry too.

I'm with Edna, we usually go through maybe two onesies/outfits a day, and I only change if there is physical poop on it. If the puke smells, I'll change that, but usually with BF it doesn't.

Since we do laundry every day, I don't need a large build up of clothes. Usually five to six onesies, four or five rompers, three or four pairs of socks and a hat. Because it's a winter baby, also look at a warm outer romper, and a thick blanket. Three or four receiving blankets wraps it up nicely.

If I only did laundry once a week, I might double this. But they do outgrow it really quickly, so I'd concentrate more on the 3 mo stuff.

Nine kids run.gif and four angel.gif, living and learning all the time

#10 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

if you ladies want a good laugh... here it goes

I thought NB size = 0-3 months. This is how good I am at being a mom!!! I felt "Not really smart" asking the original Q, and now... i am just dumb.

I guess I better go home and check what we have for now. I am still holding off on buying a lot of clothes. But since we don't know a lot of people and are not expecting any baby showers. I guess we are pretty much on our own on everything baby related.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#11 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazy101 View Post
if you ladies want a good laugh... here it goes

I thought NB size = 0-3 months. This is how good I am at being a mom!!! I felt "Not really smart" asking the original Q, and now... i am just dumb.

I guess I better go home and check what we have for now. I am still holding off on buying a lot of clothes. But since we don't know a lot of people and are not expecting any baby showers. I guess we are pretty much on our own on everything baby related.
I JUST the other day realized that there is a difference! And I was going to ask how much nb vs 0 - 3 stuff was needed, but you (essentially) asked for me, so thanks! That said, I don't have newborn sized stuff yet, except for the diapers. The little onesie I did see at the consignment shop said that nb = 5 - 9 pounds. This is my first baby, but I fully excpect it to be over 8 pounds, just based on family history stuff. So if I don't get anything for baby showers, I'll go buy a pack or two of the side snap nb onesies. They're like 5 in a pack for $10 at Target, I think.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#12 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM

dont feel bad mama - becoming a mother is unknown territory~! go easy on yourself we used lots of onesies, gowns, and the footed sleepers in the beginning... heck, we used a lot of blankets instead of clothes for the first 6 weeks or so!! Having newborns in the winter is SO nice since you're inside most of the time anyway Don't stress yourself out over the clothes...as long as you have plenty of blankets, you really don't even need very many you can always wait and see what you'll need and pick it up after the fact!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#13 of 29 Old 09-20-2010, 07:11 PM

DDC Crashing, I'm in the midst of this right now I never used newborn sizes with my DD and DS. I didn't have any, they were 8lb 10oz and 8lb 15z and barely lost weight. DS was 12lbs at his two week check up! They both were only in 0 to 3 mon. for two to three weeks! So, fast forward to baby #3. She was born at 7lbs 4oz. And I had nothing, NOTHING that fit her. The sleep and plays that my kids spend most their days in were HUGE and bunched up in her face.

So, we got two packs of two sleepers in newborn and three pant/onesie outfits, and a pack of onesies. That got us up to 7 outfits. I did laundry every other day as she goes through about 3 changes a day. It's about 68 inside and outside right now, so just a onesie is not an option, she needs to be dressed. She's now two weeks and the newborn stuff is getting snug, and some 0 to 3 is fitting. We have a fair amount more of 0 to 3 due to the big two kids and gifts for DD. I'm looking forward to not washing every other day, frankly. I much prefer having enough for maybe 3 or 4 days. We do DD's laundry with the household laundry but not diapers.

I wouldn't worry too much about clothes till you get an idea of how big your DC will be, or at least save reciepts. And people love to give clothes, especially if you have a girl, we've gotten probably 10 outfits or more as gifts for this DD, and she's our third!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, I can't believe people change their kids clothes 3x a day! I almost never used more than one outfit a day (though I preferred fleece or cotton footie suits to onesies - it's too cold for onesies in an AK winter). And I never used socks because he hated them and they'd fall off. I actually found that the newborn and little baby clothes stayed pretty clean - baby just lays on a blanket mostly. My diapers held things in pretty well, and he wasn't a major spitter (a little bit can go on a bib, or just be wiped off and then wait until the end of the day to change them - it won't kill anyone). It was in the crawl/play in the mud and eat solid food stage that he started to get really messy! I know I changed his clothes more times a day at 1 yr old than I ever did at 1 month old.
#15 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Wow, I can't believe people change their kids clothes 3x a day!
My dad said he used to bathe me 3x a day.
This is going to be my first but I think 3-5x a week seems more reasonable. He doesn't agree... I guess we'll wait and see how things work!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#16 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 02:55 PM

I didn't know about newborn vs 0-3 months either. A nice source for clothes is craigslist, I see stuff on there all the time where they are selling a ton of clothes for not very much money. Fyi.
#17 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
Lol! Your kid must have been born with excellent aim. Mine goob and puke all over the place. Nevermind the diaper blow outs!
Haha! Mine just weren't spitters. I qualified later that if baby IS a spitter, you can get more clothes, yk?

We didn't have many blowouts, either. I used Motherease one-size fitteds, ECed, and Motherease and Whisper Wraps covers. I had one fall and one spring baby.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#18 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Wow, I can't believe people change their kids clothes 3x a day! I almost never used more than one outfit a day (though I preferred fleece or cotton footie suits to onesies - it's too cold for onesies in an AK winter).
I changed my son once a day and used a lot of burp cloths. I only changed his clothes if his diapers leaked, but when he was a teeny little guy, that didn't happen much.

Then my little girl came along. I changed her three times a day, sometimes more, just because she looked so cute in all her little dresses and she didn't complain when I played dress-up with her. Before my daughter was born I teased my friend for doing the very same thing with her little girl. It was just too tempting...so many itty-bitty dresses! So many diaper covers with ruffles! I'm not a girly-girl at all but I couldn't stop myself.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#19 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Haha! Mine just weren't spitters. I qualified later that if baby IS a spitter, you can get more clothes, yk?

We didn't have many blowouts, either. I used Motherease one-size fitteds, ECed, and Motherease and Whisper Wraps covers. I had one fall and one spring baby.
Mine was not a spitter, though my sister had one. A prefold was good enough when burping him (and he had projectile - go from one end of the couch to another kind of spit up - it was unreal).

I think 1.5 a day is a good number to shoot for. Although, we were barely in the nb size. I got an outfit because it would be cute to leave the hospital and just used a few that my cousin sent over. Just have a package or 2 of nb size and don't open them until you figure out if you need them. Heck, I would only wash one week worth of clothes in 0-3 in case you get a big baby. We were in 0-3 for a month. By the time he was 3 months, we were in 6-9. He was 8 lbs, 15 oz at birth. I am so glad my sister gave me all her 0-6 months clothes because I had WAY more than enough. I even put in my registry to not buy anything in the 0-6 sizes because I had 2 kids worth

Yeah, my blowouts stopped once I put my son in cloth. If you are using sposies, you may actually need 3 a day if you have a poop monster like I have.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#20 of 29 Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM

I guess I am just really sensitive to having a smelly baby. I can't stand the smell of spit up. I know I changed my shirt a few times a day just because of that. Even the smallest bit of breast milk spit up or poo/pee smell. I should probably invest in some more t shirts...

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#21 of 29 Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 AM
myk

i wouldn't get more than 3 newborn sized outfits. some kids are born bigger than that in the first place - my 37 weeker didn't fit any of the outfits i had planned on using the first month! i'd get 3 newborn outfits (diaper shirt, sleeper or cute outfit) and 5 0-3 month outfits, and then see what you end up with in terms of baby's size. then, if you need more of something, you can go out and get it without having wasted money on the wrong size.

January 2011
#22 of 29 Old 09-22-2010, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will also say that people LOVE to pass down and buy baby clothes for new parents. Seriously. I bought maybe 2 things from the thrift store before my son was born, and wish I hadn't, because I ended up with too much! No need at all to think about whether you have "enough" at this point. If you buy yourself "enough" you will almost certainly have way too much once your friends and family get hold of you. Especially if you have a baby shower, or if any of them have slightly older children. I had to send a lot of my son's extra/grown out of clothes to the thrift store because I couldn't find any baby parents in town that weren't already swamped with clothing.
#23 of 29 Old 09-22-2010, 11:22 AM

For the first-time mamas- or the first-time using CD....

Because CD are bulkier than 'sposies, I've found that I always have to buy larger sizes in clothing- that goes for both my all-in-ones and prefolds. Not a concern with nightgowns, but definitely with onesies in the NB/0-3 sizes.

Just something to think about!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#24 of 29 Old 09-22-2010, 11:57 AM

I really have no clue with our family history what size this LO will be. DH was born at 5 lbs 10 oz (at 38 weeks) and I was born at 8 lbs 6 oz (at 42 weeks). We did get quite a few newborn things though but it was mostly hand-me-downs from my SIL who had premature twins. If it turns out that we can't use them, oh well. Pack em up and maybe we can use it if we have more kids.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#25 of 29 Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
For the first-time mamas- or the first-time using CD....

Because CD are bulkier than 'sposies, I've found that I always have to buy larger sizes in clothing- that goes for both my all-in-ones and prefolds. Not a concern with nightgowns, but definitely with onesies in the NB/0-3 sizes.

Just something to think about!
My mom keeps trying to discourage me from the little packs of side snap shirts, but I think they may be more useful than onesies! Little white shirt + CD with a Thirsties wrap + baby legs = good to go for the FL winter, as long as baby is snuggled up with someone.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#26 of 29 Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 AM

Wholewheatchick, why would they discourage you from that? Kimono shirts are the BEST for babies! I love them! You don't have to pull over baby's head! They are so much more gentle. Your uniform sounds great and you can always put a sleeper on over that.

#27 of 29 Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Wholewheatchick, why would they discourage you from that? Kimono shirts are the BEST for babies! I love them! You don't have to pull over baby's head! They are so much more gentle. Your uniform sounds great and you can always put a sleeper on over that.
I think my mom was concerned about the shirts "riding up", that they don't lay well on the baby or something like that. Most of her advice on baby stuff has been great, but that one seemed a bit odd to me.

#28 of 29 Old 09-23-2010, 03:50 PM

They make them long because of that, actually, and you can just pull them down if they do. My second was super wiggly and crawling at five months and hers never rode up.

#29 of 29 Old 09-23-2010, 04:24 PM

carter's (and other's I"m sure) make onsies that have snaps all the way down the front. I'll admit that the kimono's/side snaps do shift around annoyingly, and it's all about what your baby dislikes the most (over her head, or pants/elastic around the waist). The onsies with snaps all the way down are the best of both worlds-- easy diaper changes, plus they don't *have* to go over the head.

Found them! they are called 'speedy exit creepers'. I hadn't been able to find them in packs, so we only have a few.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page