So, friends, I have a dilemma. It is a pretty silly dilemma in the big scheme of things, very much an upper middle class sort of dilemma. But since I trust you all, and so many of you already have kids and have probably been through the stroller research process, I'm going to go ahead and ask. I need a distraction from the pain of SPD anyway.
After much deliberation my SO and I decided to put the Joovy Kooper stroller on our registry. It's affordable (about $150 on Amazon), easily available, and gets really good reviews. We were quite satisfied with that choice.
Then I heard the Urbo (Mamas & Papas brand, from the UK) was going to be sold in the US for the first time, starting last month, through Babies'R'Us. It's a beautiful stroller, I'd seen it around when I lived in London. But it's $499 which is way (way!) beyond our price range. Nevertheless, just for the hell of it, I figured I'd throw it on the registry. Who knows, right? It can't hurt.
My FIL and step-MIL, who had originally said they'd get us a carseat, were quite disappointed to find they'd been beaten to carseat-buying by my grandma, and decided that in cooperation with my BIL they wanted to get us the Urbo instead. Amazing! Right?
Okay, well, it is sold out EVERYWHERE. I live in Kansas City, but seriously, I have called BRUs in Los Angeles, Manhattan, Chicago, just trying to find it (the generous family members were confused about what to do upon finding it was out of stock, so enlisted me to do the legwork). Apparently it is considered "high-end" (no sh!t) and is therefore only
sold online with the exception of the Union Square store in Manhattan (for those stylish New Yorkers!). I talked to the Union Square store today and they said they have 15 Urbos pending arrival at their warehouse, but they don't know when they'll make it to the store (could be a week, could be a month, since they're coming from the UK and have to clear customs). Problem is, even when the strollers arrive, the store won't ship out of state, and I don't know that I have a close enough friend in NYC to beg to buy it and ship it to me (nor whether I want to lower myself to that, all for a stroller).
The aforementioned generous family members desperately wanted it to be here for my shower (October 2nd) which is seeming VERY unlikely. So, what to do?
1) Wait, and hope that it comes back in stock online sometime before my due date? I think it is reasonably likely that it will, and I'm not myself terribly desperate to have it before I will need
2) Pick out a different Mamas & Papas stroller, for instance the Sola? Or the Luna Mix? Anyone have any experience with these? (Both available online at BRU)
3) Pick out a different "high-end" stroller altogether? In which case, any suggestions? We definitely can't break the $500 mark, as my FIL/sMIL are contributing $250, BIL offered $100, and my SO agreed to cover the rest.
4) Just go back to the trusty Joovy Kooper, because the amount of time spent on hunting down a $500 stroller is kind of ridiculous anyway?
Help me with my painfully bourgeois crisis, please!