Christmas!! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How are you spending Christmas?
Celebrating with family, away from home. 1 14.29%
Celebrating with family, at home. 22 100.00%
Private Celebration. 11 100.00%
Acknowledging but too busy or don't want to celebrate. 2 28.57%
We don't celebrate Christmas 1 14.29%
We're not sure yet 4 57.14%
Other 1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What's everyone's plans (assuming you aren't in labor at the time)?

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We will be staying home to celebrate. We will be traveling to the IL's for x-mas dinner, but they only live a few miles down the road.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#3 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 07:17 PM

We quit traveling for ANY holiday after our first or second year of living 1-2 hours from family. It became too much of a pain to drag the kids around, trying to meet the rest of the family's expectations. And it was also annoying to have to make arrangements for the dogs.

We're here. People are typically welcome to drop in *around* the 25th, but I don't think I"ll be extending that invitation this year.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#4 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM

We'll be celebrating - either at my mom's (a couple miles away) or our house. If this baby likes following directions ( ) then he or she should be about 3 weeks old at Christmas. I'm actually more concerned about missing ds#2's birthday (end of November).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#5 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 PM

I put at home with family, but that will only happen if Squirt arrives near due date. Our family is in PA and VA, and we live in FL. Since I can't fly anywhere from before Thanksgiving onwards, we're stuck at home. My parents are planning on coming down as soon as Squirt comes, or even a bit before, so if they are there, then it will be with family. Otherwise, just us.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#6 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Its still up in the air on who else will be here. My parents may decide to stay longer or come back and his parents... I'd rather them not come at all.
We still haven't decided if we're going to do any decorations. We might just to get pictures of James with them but there's no way we have room for any more than a miniature table tree. I want to buy a little candy cane outfit but DH doesn't want a candy cane baby.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#7 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We'll have family over on Christmas Eve for dinner and exchange presents. On Christmas day it'll just be us celebrating.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#8 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's coming! It's coming! It's coming!!!!
I love Christmas! Only 12.5 weeks left!
We're celebrating at home, and my family will be here, for the first time in several years (they live in Africa). DP's family lives 1.5 hours down the road, and I think they'll be coming for Boxing Day. I'd really rather they not come until my family leaves, but his sister is also going to be here, and I want HER to come, so it's sort of a package deal. I am removing myself from all responsibility though (I'm due 12/24).
Anyway, Christmas is coming! Exciting!

For greater things are yet to come...

#9 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 PM

I'm due on 12/3, which falls during Chanukah, so we'll be spending the holiday at home and having family over. My mom already promised to cook for us

My bff and her husband make an amazing Christmas Eve dinner. I've gone every year for twelve years. They live in the same town, so traveling with a newborn isn't an issue. Assuming we don't get a blizzard that day, we'll be joining them this year as well!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#10 of 20 Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 PM

this year we will be home just us My Mom and stepdad are leaving mid Oct for 6 months sailing on their boat in Mexico.. My bro lives 8 hours away and works this holiday. My Dad (1 hour away) we will most likely see Christmas Eve at our place if its built and his if not. Dhs family lives 14 hours away and are farmers, we don't see them often AT ALL! But we have my stepdaughter (12) this year with us too so Christmas with all 6 kids won't be quiet but will be nice to be home! I am just hoping we get our home done enough to move in, if we don't I have told the kids we will still put bug tree up there this year. Baby is due solstice but I usually go 2.5-3 weeks early so thats the plan

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#11 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Hoping this little guy is here a couple weeks early and we can drive to my parents' place for Christmas. If not, we'll have a little family celebration at home.
#12 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM

I said other because I'm due the 20th. If the baby has arrived and is atleast 4 days old (this is very doubtful) we will go out of town to see family and baby will get lots of sling time to reduce stimulation. If the baby is here and younger, we will stay home or at least baby and I will, I wouldn't be opposed to sending DH and 2 DC to visit without me (1.5 hours away). If the baby has not yet arrived (what I am planning on) we will go and visit but not spend the night so I don't risk a labor away from home!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#13 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM

I don't know my due date for sure; it's either 12/8, 12/13, or 12/17, and either way it doesn't matter because I've been right on time, 2 weeks late, 3 weeks early, 3 weeks late, and 7 weeks early. Either way, I'm using either the labor or the pregnancy as an excuse to have a nice quiet Christmas at home! MIL doesn't know this yet and I dread the day that we finally break it to her because I already know how she'll react, and she'll do everything in her power to convince us otherwise. Actually, I prefer a nice quiet Christmas, and stuffing myself into my MIL's house with 25 other people (mostly incredibly excited and loud children on sugar highs) and three dogs, one of whom likes to lurk around the table and steal food off your plate when you're not looking is not conducive to "quiet". I'm happy that I finally have a good reason to stay at home and celebrate with my husband and our children.

On a slightly different note, are there any other homebirths who are envisioning a quiet Christmas-time birth lit by the lights on the Christmas tree with soothing Christmas songs playing quietly in the background?

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#14 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM

I'll most likely have the baby in the week before Christmas (I'm due the 5th and tend to go late). My brother will probably come spend the night Christmas Eve as usual, and I don't know what we'll do about a meal....but he'll be there for opening presents etc and we'll just have fun at home, chillaxin'.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#15 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll be sitting in our new recline, nursing two new babies. Things are going to be way scaled down from our usual Christmas celebrations.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#16 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
On a slightly different note, are there any other homebirths who are envisioning a quiet Christmas-time birth lit by the lights on the Christmas tree with soothing Christmas songs playing quietly in the background?
For some reason this had not even crossed my mind, but I LOVE IT!! I am planning on birthing in a spare bedroom for privacy, but I love the mental picture of the tree and lights!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#17 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 PM

Yeah I've thought about that too, the tree and everything for my home birth. That will be sweet.
I'm also glad I'll have tons of labor projects. Making ginger bread houses, baking cookies etc. Loads of stuff to keep me busy.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#18 of 20 Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:

I have been envisioning cold weather and drafts, but that is about it

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#19 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Barring an early arrival of Baby, we'll go to the annual (huge) Christmas Eve party with DH's family, and do Christmas morning with my family. I came to the realization this weekend- I don't think I'm going to decorate fro Christmas this year. Getting the decorations up after Thanksgiving won't be a problem, but I fear I won't have motivation to take them down around New Year's (and my due date)- and the added clutter in the house will add to the stress for me. Thankfully, DH agrees that just pulling out our nativity scene will be sufficient decorating this year!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

#20 of 20 Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Yes! In fact, my birthday is in December and every year this is sort of what I envision as a perfect end to my birthday as well.

But we are buying a house and therefore moving sometime in the next two months, so I'm just crossing my fingers things will be this peaceful by December...

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page