flying at 35 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my midwives are ok with me flying till 36 weeks (at this point: no complications, blood pressure is excellent, etc.).

I won't be able to come home to my parents' for Thanksgiving, and Christmas is completely unknown. If Squirt arrives close to EDD, then my parents will be down; if not, then just me and DH.

And that isn't even the issue, because holidays aren't that important to me in and of themselves. I just love my parents, and miss them. They live in Pennsylvania and I live in Florida.

I am trying to decide whether to fly up and spend 5 - 7 days with them when I am 35 weeks pregnant. This being my first baby, I really don't know if I'll even want to, or if I'll feel up to it, kwim? I'm with them now, so it's not like I don't seem them every few months. And they'll be there in Dec., and down for a few days in late Feb., and I plan on coming back up to PA in early April, etc. I can't do anytime before that 35 week mark because of schedule issues.

Thoughts and opinions, please!!!!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-26-2010, 09:06 PM

You're nuts! : No, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If you feel well enough, go for it. But, keep in mind that there is always the possibility that you'll go into labor in PA and have to deliver there. That's definitely reason for concern...

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#3 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 03:48 AM

With DD, my 1st pregnancy, I flew in-state (Los Angeles to Sacramento) for a conference at 34 weeks, it was sometime between 3/4-3/7 and I was due 4/19, DD was born on 4/5. All was well, I had some faint pink spotting because I was lugging bags around most of the time and doing lots of walking.

This time, I am flying cross-country from L.A. to NYC from 11/3-11/6 and my EDD is 12/15. I will have a back up hospital plan and back up doula. I will have just turned 34 weeks at that point. It's a very special trip that marks a milestone in our org so I don't want to miss it. I did buy trip insurance just in case, it was just an extra $25.
#4 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm wondering about doing it at 38 weeks! Just for a day or two, in state. There's an film festival in Anchorage I really want to go to (might have a film with me in it!) but it's early Dec, and I'm due the 17th. My first was 4 days late, and no one in the family has gone early, but the idea still makes me nervous.

I think you'll be fine at 35 - chances of having the baby that early are low.
#5 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 12:16 PM

i would totally do it!! I always go 2 weeks late though, so I don't even pay attention to due dates anymore!!!

Lee Ann ~ SAHM to Carolina(4)uc.jpg, Aurora (2)uc.jpg, and belly.gifwith #3 - due in December!
#6 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I would (and have!)! Go. Enjoy! Let your parents coddle you a bit. You'll be moving slowly and feeling like a whale, and wanting naps, but there's really no better place to do such things than "home" with your parents.

I'm thinking about flying several hours to visit my sister in mid-November, at 35-36 weeks. The only thing holding me back is the fact that DD will come with me. She still flies free, but that means I'll have to hold her on my lap for 2 flights in each direction. Lap space is already at a premium!

Anyway, I really wouldn't worry about it. If you were having heaps of prodromal labour, a stretchy and reactive cervix, lots of swelling, etc, etc, then I'd think twice, but otherwise? Go!

For greater things are yet to come...

#7 of 9 Old 09-27-2010, 12:59 PM

I just flew last weekend (Midwest --> East Coast) and was fine although honestly, it is pretty uncomfortable. I tried to get aisle seats, but was stuck in a middle seat twice, and kind of thought I might cry from the pain in my back.

My big project at work right now is doing the planning for a conference that will be 12/9. I would love to go, there's going to be a few amazing speakers, but it's really totally out of the question since my EDD is betwen 12/16 and 12/21 depending on who you ask or how you calculate. And the conference is also on the East Coast so it's not as though I could hop in a car if my water broke or something.

Anyway, though, if you're feeling fine at 35 wks I don't see any medical reason not to go see your parents. BUT yeah, you might really find it's just more of a hassle than you want to deal with, especially if you're going to see them fairly soon anyway. We typically would drive 4-5 hours to spend Thanksgiving with my FIL and his wife and kids, but this year I said no. Not because I couldn't physically manage the car ride, but just because I want to be relaxing in my own space as much as possible at that point.

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#8 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 AM

I think you should go, provided that you're ok with the possibility that you could end up delivering in PA. My mother passed away from cancer when my daughter was four months old, so I especially valued the time that I got to spend with her during my pregnancy...

I traveled extensively for work when I was pregnant with DD and that took a toll on me physically, but that was mostly because I was presenting at conferences and therefore on my feet a lot, not because of the actual air/train travel involved! It sounds like spending time with your parents would be much less taxing than that

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#9 of 9 Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM

ddcc

personally I wouldn't do it because I am the kind that gets sicks easily when I travel.

I would take into consideration a couple of things. One being that it is going to be really really uncomfortable to sit in airplane seats that long. I don't know if I could fit in an airplane seat at 35 weeks personally. Not to mention that you need to get up and move around to make sure you get circulation going. Don't even get me started on trying to fit into a small bathroom. i don't know how long the flight is but that would be a factor for me. Also trying to fit down the small aisles. So not easy. Also will the airline let you fly that late. Some have restrictions.

Also I would take into account how stressful the visit would be. I love and adore my family but they are a stressful bunch. If I thought I could just sit and be coddled that would be awesome but for me that wouldn't be very fun. Not to mention by 35 weeks one doesn't usually sleep much. So you might be missing your bed or just being able to get into the kitchen in the middle of the night. IDK. It all depends upon your family.

If you do go on the trip then make sure you have refundable tickets or ones that you can use at a later date just in case.

If you go, have a great time!

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page