Spotlight on ~ *mckittre*! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The basics....
give us your name, where you live, your age, how many kids you already have, when you're due (whatever you’re comfortable with!)

What is your favorite food?

Do you own any pets? What are they and what are their names?

What's your favorite baby thing so far (that you've purchased or had given to you)?

Do you like to read? What kinds of books?

What's your favorite thing about being pregnant?

Least favorite?

And now, everyone feel free to jump in with your own questions!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm Erin McKittrick. I live in a 450 square foot yurt in Seldovia, Alaska - which is a 450 person town on the Kenai Peninsula in the southcentral part of the state. There's no road that comes here, so access to town is by small plane or boat. I live with my husband Hig, 19 month old son Katmai, and black fluffy cat Nikos. We share a 3 acre piece of land with my mother in law and her dog, and we have lots of wild berry bushes, a fairly large garden, and views of 3 volcanoes across Cook Inlet. We heat with wood and have electricity, but no running water, so we're working on building a wash house.

We both work at home when we're at home, doing some science/writing consulting work and running a small environmental nonprofit. When we're not at home, we're off adventuring, mostly doing long wilderness treks in Alaska. I wrote a book about the year-long 4000 mile journey we made just before my son was born, and am working on a second book that includes adventures with my toddler and hopefully with the new one when he/she shows up.

I'm due on Dec 17, but have been telling everyone "the middle of December." My son was 4 days late.

My favorite food right now is probably anything with wild salmon, wild blueberries, or garden carrots. Luckily I have all of these in abundance.

My favorite baby thing is probably the 2 woven wraps I have (and use all the time to carry my toddler). Also they're one of the only things I ever actually bought.

My favorite thing about being pregnant is just the amazement at how my body can actually grow a whole new person. My least favorite is having to spend the last few weeks away from home, waiting for the baby to show up in the next town over (where there are midwives, a hospital, etc...) - downside of living remote, I guess.

I like to read in the evenings before bed, usually a pretty even mix between fiction and environment and/or adventure-themed nonfiction.
#3 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Hi Erin! What kind of birth are you planning? And how did you choose your son's name? It's very unique!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM

My son is named after an Alaskan volcano (it's also a national park) in the southwestern part of the state. It's an amazing place my husband and I went through on our first long journey together, and again on our most recent one.
We'll probably also use an Alaska place name for this next baby.

I'm planning a hospital birth with the nurse-midwife practice in the next town over. I don't have a lot of options, really, since there's no one in my town who delivers babies. But the three midwives are great, and the hospital is super small. I delivered my son there, and basically had all the attention I wanted from both the midwife and the nurse, but no one pushed any interventions on me I didn't want.
#5 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM

WOW! have you always lived there, if not, how did you end up there, in a yurt?
and you have internet?

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#6 of 6 Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 AM

The internet is everywhere. Seriously, traveling through the remote parts of the state you can find satellite internet in mining camps and homesteads, etc... Easier to find than a grocery store (we do have a grocery store here).
And since all my work is on the computer, it's kind of necessary.

My husband grew up in this town - his parents moved here when he was 8 months old, and both still live here (now divorced). So that's a big part of why we ended up here specifically. As far as ending up in a small Alaskan town, it's something that evolved out of our expeditions. I grew up in Seattle, and would never have predicted this! We both really wanted to live in Alaska, both because of the amazing wilderness and the adventurous spirit of most of the folks here. And after spending a year living in a tent, occasionally being hosted by families in all sorts of different little towns, our life priorities definitely changed. Having a simple flexible life that doesn't take much money, with the independence to get a lot of food and resources from the land is very important to us. Kind of a long answer! We've only been "settled" here for a few years though - since that long trip finished up in summer 2008.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page