Spotlight on ~ *wholebreath*! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The basics....
give us your name, where you live, your age, how many kids you already have, when you're due (whatever you’re comfortable with!)

What is your favorite food?

Do you own any pets? What are they and what are their names?

What's your favorite baby thing so far (that you've purchased or had given to you)?

Do you like to read? What kinds of books?

What's your favorite thing about being pregnant?

Least favorite?

And now, everyone feel free to jump in with your own questions!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#2 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=ein328;15887326]The basics....
give us your name, where you live, your age, how many kids you already have, when you're due (whatever you’re comfortable with!)

My name is Anne, I'm 29, live about 20 miles south of San Francisco, have one son, called Oliver, who will be 3 in 3 weeks, and this baby, another boy, is somewhen between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Official due date is Dec. 9.

What is your favorite food?

Thai food, especially a noodle dish called kao soi, which not a lot of restaurants make,

Do you own any pets? What are they and what are their names?

We didn't have any until this afternoon, but my DH brought home two goldfish for DS, so now we have two fish called Violet and Luke.

What's your favorite baby thing so far (that you've purchased or had given to you)?

I found a HABA dream meadow playmat on Craigslist here that I'm looking forward to using. I'm in the process of making a mei tai that I think will be very helpful. One of the bummers about a second kid of the same gender is the lack of shopping/gifts! I think the consolation prize of pregnancy is having a little leeway to buy fun things and I just can't justify much of it this time, we have about everything we need

Do you like to read? What kinds of books?

Love to read! I like great novels by women writers, some of my favorites are Certain Women, by Madeleine L'Engle and The Sparrow and Children of God, by Maria Doria Russel. I'm currently reading a lot of education books in prep for making a decision about public school or homeschooling. I love poetry: William Stafford, Kathleen Norris, Mary Oliver, Billy Collins. Also am rereading Ina May Gaskin's books in prep for birth.
I didn't read much the first year of DS life, so getting prepared for a dry spell again when the sleep deprivation kicks in.

What's your favorite thing about being pregnant?

Daydreaming about what baby will look like/be like

Least favorite?

This pregnancy it's my irritableness with Oliver and some incredible hip pain I've been dealing with. I had to stop work sooner than I really wanted to because of the pain and I'm sad about that.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#3 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 AM

I LOVE The Sparrow and Children of God!

How did you meet your husband?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#4 of 8 Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM

We met on a dinner cruise around the San Francisco Bay. It was a banquet for a kite festival we were both attending. I was feeling tired and anti-social, but he just kept talking to me. I tried escaping to the deck, but it was freezing and he came looking for me.
We were living in different states at the time, but saw each other at a few more kite events that summer (He's on a kite team and my family builds custom kites) and he wouldn't leave me alone. We flew back and forth for awhile, then I kind of laid my foot down and said "Either marry me, or I'm out"
It was our 8 year anniversary on the 8th

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#5 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like The Sparrow and Children of God too!

Do you fly kites as a hobby as well, or just as a family business? I don't know anything about kites, but it sounds interesting.
#6 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 05:58 PM

The kite thing is sort of a hobby gone crazy for my parents. When my brother and I were in middle school, we lived in Oregon and went to the beach a lot. We bought some kites, we kept buying more, then my mother, a seamstress, started making some for us, then other people wanted her to make some, then my father learned to sew (crazy, as he's an ex-logger) and started making really big (200 square feet) kites for other people. Now, my father still works for Intel, and together they have a home business making custom kites and banners for people. Sometimes they make custom fabric things that don't fly. I remember one year we weren't allowed to come through the front door because my mother was in the process of building an 18 foot butterfly for a church to hang over their altar on Easter Sunday. The living room was the only room in the house big enough for it.

My husband is still on the kite team. He travels with the team and all their travel expenses are generally paid for by whoever wants them at the event. They do air shows, kite festivals, and occasionally some other event, like the opening of something. He's headed to North Carolina in about a month for a festival. I'll be too pregnant to fly that far, so DS and I are staying home this time. Sometimes we go with him, mostly to stuff closer to home. DS is just getting old enough to fly a kite and he loves it, so I think we'll end up flying more for fun next year.

Kiting is a fun thing to do as a family. You're outside, you meet a lot of people from all over, you can get really creative if you build your own. It's crazy to see my kid doing something with us that I did as a kid with my parents.

#7 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM

In your signature you mention that your DH is English. Does his family still live in England? If so, do you travel there as a family often and what parts of their culture (monuments, customs, food, traditions) do you look forward to sharing with your two sons?

So sorry to hear about the hip pain. I don't know if it's within your means but I know several women who have had success with prenatal yoga and physical therapy.

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#8 of 8 Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 PM

His immediate family, Mum, sister and family, and brother and family, live here in the States, in southern California. He has aunts, uncles, and cousins, as well as friends still in England. We went for the first time on our honeymoon and have been every two years since then. We took Oliver when he was 23 months and it actually went really well. We'll probably skip next year and go the year after. I refuse to take a child between 9-24 months on that flight. They need to either be non-mobile or have the ability to do something while seated (puzzles, pouring ice between cups, something!). Barry's part of England is great for kids. It's called the New Forest and it's a free grazing area. Horses, cows, donkeys, and the occasional pig wander through villages. Very exciting for small people. We also have spent some time in Cornwall and I really like it there.

Oddly, I am not a huge Anglophile and actually find a lot of English culture a bit hard to take, but I am looking forward to my kid's duel citizenship giving them easy access to travel and work within the EU. We would be thrilled if either of them wanted to go to school in England.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page