Is this a "pattern" or my imagination? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we are still very successfully nursing. Emerson is 4 on Sunday and I am 28 weeks pregnant on Wednesday. Milk has not dried up, in fact quite ample. But here is what I am curious about: I have yet to experience a single braxton hicks contraction. When I was PG with Emerson I had them all the time. This time not one - and I assumed with everyone that freaks about nursing while pregnant and the "risk" of premature labor - surely I'd have BHX out the wazoo this time. NONE. Is this normal? The reason I wonder is that:

1. Although I had some useless weak contractions with Emerson beginning around my due date, I never actually went into labor and he didn't engage (he had dropped IN FRONT of my pubic bone and couldn't). He was cut out 9 days later.

2. I lost my 2nd son Arrow at 10 weeks, found out at 12 1/2 weeks and never did miscarry naturally. Again even after 3 1/2 weeks I never bled or had any contractions. I ended up with a D&C - another baby removed by force.

3. Here I am pregnant with Drake, nursing Emerson like a champ into my 3rd trimester and not even a single BHX contraction. I am beginning to think my body does not make enough Oxytocin receptors or something??

What do you think? Am I being silly? Is this a pattern - or is this perfectly normal?

Melissa 38 DH 47, Emerson '06, Arrow '09 angel2.gif, and Drake Valan EDD 12/22/10.
#2 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 02:48 PM

I don't know about your previous pregnancy, or the miscarriage, but all I can tell you is that I also had tons of BHs with Elliot, to the point where my MW wanted to put me off work, and Im having none at this point (28 weeks) even thought Im still nursing Elliot.
E was born with no medical intervention.
#3 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 02:56 PM

I don't see a pattern. My first was 100% natural at 38w
My 2nd, I m/c at about 7/8 weeks but didn't know until 10 weeks, no physical signs. I attempted to take care of it at home with medication, ultimately needed a D & C.

This one, I felt lots of hardness in the beginning but so far so good. I've gone to a chiropractor who specializes in pregnancy 2x in 6 weeks it has bade a world of difference! No BH in the 1st pregnancy either except when I would exert myself by walking too briskly. I am 28 weeks now.
#4 of 4 Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 PM

ddcc I have never really felt or noticed (if I had them) bhx. With my first she was induced because of Hbp and my second I never had any contractions (not related to sex) that I noticed until suddenly I went into labor. It may be a pattern for you but I wouldn't plan on it. Lol especially once you have more then one. I think murphy's law says that the more complicated it can be (like going into labor naturally when you have an older child) the better.

Good luck

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page