Placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what are you going to do with it? I know about encapsulating, planting it, eating it and i just read about placenta essence. I personally LOVE flower essence, and never thought of placenta essence until I just read about it.

Placenta essence definitely sounds like something I "might" do. But am i going to take it? It's been diluted already and preserve with alcohol... So, it's pretty safe to take internally?

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 08:59 PM

interesting...never seen anything quite like that, but the theory seems to make sense. I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done this...might be good to xpost in health and healing or birth and beyond to find out too.

I have thought about eating my placenta but I think dp might disown me if I do...he is very easily grossed out.

all that said, dd's is under a tree that she is named after in alaska...I always wonder how that tree is doing...it was alive and thriving when she was 3, the last time I checked. This time I will know better than to plant it on our property and I will just plant it out in the forest somewhere in a special place to us.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#3 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 PM

No idea. I'm not going to encapsulate it, I don't think. My friend planted hers with a little lime tree in a pot. That sounds doable to me.

I know that almost all other mammals eat their placentas, and I totally see the biological usefulness of humans doing that, too, but I just don't think I could.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#4 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm encapsulating this time. I've never heard of placenta essence and I've done a fair amount of placental research! Interesting, I'll have to go looking for more info.

ETA: This website has a recipe for a homeopathic placenta remedy, but it's focus is on the child's use of it through their lifetime rather than as an assistant to the mother.

I can't find anything else about this or any reviews, it is interesting......

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#5 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 PM

My MW fee includes encapsulation. That's the route I'll be taking.

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#6 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Not sure what I'm doing with it yet, I just know I want it. I already sewed a pretty cloth bag that holds two ziploc freezer bags so I can just hand it over to my DH or doula and s/he can plop it in the freezer. I forgot to take DD's and I was so bummed.

If it seems moderately palatable I might try a bite. A hippie friend of mine said her hubby fried hers up with onions and they ate a few bites until they both got grossed out.

I'm liking the essence idea, maybe it's just the 50% vodka. At this point a small dropper full would probably make everything seem swell, regardless of the placental juices.
#7 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 PM

With DD, I never really decided what to do with it, and since we move a lot, if we decide to plant it, it has to go in a potted plant/tree, soo.....it's still in the freezer

This time, I'm considering encapsulation (we didn't have anyone nearby last time). If I do it, I'll do it with a DIY kit.

Still not sure, though. I almost feel like the placenta is the baby's and not *mine* to encapsulate. I know that sounds weird....

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#8 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wanted to get it encapsulated but I can't afford it and don't want to do it myself.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#9 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 PM

My midwife assistant will encapsulate so I am planning on doing that.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#10 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 10:05 PM

can't seem to find a place to encapsulate in canada...(ontario specifically)

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#11 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM

I'm having mine encapsulated. The midwife assistant does it for $100.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#12 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 PM

I just put together an encapsulation kit, containing directions and capsules, for my MIL whom I've asked to take charge of that for me. I was looking at the essence and might decide to try that as well.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#13 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 AM

I'm currently looking into a lotus birth. I understand that the placenta can still be encapsulated once it falls off on its own, and I'd like to keep it around until I'm certain that I won't be needing it for postpartum depression or the like. Still researching....
#14 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 02:16 AM

Seriously considering consuming it. I am high risk for PPD and am pretty keen to do anything that can help me combat that. I don't think they do encapsulation here. I'll ask my midwife.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#15 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebearsmama View Post
I'm currently looking into a lotus birth. I understand that the placenta can still be encapsulated once it falls off on its own, and I'd like to keep it around until I'm certain that I won't be needing it for postpartum depression or the like. Still researching....
I just realized that the placenta doesn't have to be encapsulated immediately! So, I might freeze mine, and if it looks like it would be very beneficial for me to consume it, I might have it encapsulated. There are a few women around here who will do that for you, for about $125.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#16 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

i was reading some more and thinking and talking to DH about it. He is willing to do the placenta essence for me. And since it doesn't need a big chunk of it, i might encapsulate the rest of the placenta just in case I needed it or when baby blues gets the best of me. I am just not sure if I can take the pills. It might be on the gross side for me. But, the thought of having it planted somewhere in our yard is a good one too....

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#17 of 18 Old 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Well, I have been thinking about it some more, and my plan at this point is to freeze the placenta. If I feel like I need it, then I will cut little pieces off and swallow them, like you would a pill or capsule. No finanical commitment that way, and no need to deliver or pick it up from anywhere.

#18 of 18 Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 PM

You don't have to hire someone to encapsulate for you. My sister and I are going to do each others (she's due 5 weeks ahead of me). I was going to pay to have it done because I simply didn't want to think about having to do it myself and when she mentioned it, we decided to save some money! So, if you have a willing friend or partner you can do a little research and do it yourself. I'll link a few things I have found helpful. I also have a friend that froze her placenta and when she found herself in the depths of a pretty severe PPD at about 10 months pp, she pulled it out and encapsulated it then.

littlebearsmama, you can't do a lotus birth and encapsulate. The placenta needs to be fresh (ie hours after birth, refrigerator for a couple days, or frozen) because it is essentially meat. I have 3 friends that are registered with Placenta Benefits and I'm just sure that's what they have said. I could ask for sure for you if you'd like.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page