missed appointment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, since I am new to this, I wanted to know: how big of a deal is it to miss an appointment here or there (specifically in the 3rd trimester)?

My husband's car died so we are down to one car. I had to cancel my appointment last week with my midwife (her office is 25 minutes away) because I had no means of getting there.

So I called and just made my next appointment (2 weeks later) instead of rescheduling for a few days later. Will I get yelled at? (you know what I mean)

I mean, on the one hand, I want to be safe, but these appointments are such a waste of my time it seems. I mean, I have 30 minute drives each way, then the appointment is a solid 30 minutes because of the wait time, etc. All to just pee in a cup and get reminded of my weight gain.

I can't even imagine how grumpy I will be when I have to start making the trip out weekly. Am I just a big grumpy pants? I guess I have this false sense of security because the baby is so active in my belly.

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#2 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 PM

I assume you're with an OB? I doubt you'll get 'yelled at'. Just explain the situation and don't make a big deal out of it! No sweat!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#3 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 06:41 PM

It all depends on your midwife, I guess. I had to cancel a couple appointments with my midwife too. She lives 45 minutes away when there is no traffic and when the visits get closer together it can be tough. I'm sure she'll understand, and if she had wanted you to reschedule for later this week she probably would have called.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 6 Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 PM

Over the course of 5 pregnancies, I've had to shuffle around plenty of appointments (and been called to have them shuffle appointments) to the point that some could be considered "missed". As long as everything is going well, it's really not that big of a deal. If you do/did intend to have certain time-sensitive tests or things along that line, you might want to check on that.

I wouldn't *intentionally* miss an appointment, but I wouldn't fret if things were to come up, and neither would my mws. That's just life!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#5 of 6 Old 10-01-2010, 02:55 AM

It's no biggie to me either. I wasn't so concerned with my first and this is my second. I have an appt next Weds. and should be on a 2 week schedule by now but I won't mention that to them.

My next one is scheduled for 4 weeks later, 11/3. I made it in advance 4 months ago. I am flying out to NYC though and will re-schedule it the week before so I will have a 3 week gap between 10/6 and this next one.

On my DDC from my 1st pregnancy a mama commented that it seems backwards since less things can go wrong as the pregnancy progresses. I would love to see some data on the value of the of this 1/month, 2/month and then weekly schedule that everyone subscribes to.

Keep yourself hydrated and carry on. Do you have a heart monitor or stethoscope? That can give you piece of mind too.
#6 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the support mamas! I think I'm just so emotional right now and I feel a lot better reading your comments

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page