Iron infusions for pregnancy-related anemia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because of my malabsorption (due to my weight-loss surgery), I have labs drawn frequently. My last labs were HIDEOUS! My hemoglobin was 8.9 ::squeak:: I've been tired lately but I didn't think it was that bad...

I saw my hematologist today and he said it's just because I'm pregnant that I can't hang on to my iron, and recommended infusions. He's totally on board with homebirth -- he even said he enjoyed BOBB -- but he wants my hemoglobin above 10 to do it safely.

So I'm going to the infusion lab 3x/week for the next month. Shouldn't be too bad -- the hardest thing is finding someone to watch my kids while I'm there -- and the results should last for several months. He thinks I can get up to at least 11 or 12 with infusions.

I can't even imagine what 11 or 12 feels like!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 PM

Wow you must really be dragging! Because mine was 10.6, and I started taking Floradix 1 week ago, and, I hate to admit this because I think iron is kind of over emphasized, BUT, I feel soooooo much better. I'm still tired at night, and sleep like a log (a lot with frequent bathroom breaks) but I'm not running out of energy at 3 pm anymore. Hope it goes well!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#3 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Wow, that's scary! Mine was 24 and now I'm trying extra hard to get extra iron with every meal. Hoping to avoid Floradix, which makes me gag

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#4 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

24?!?! Do you mean hematocrit??? Hemoglobin range is 11.5-16.

I'm usually around 10-11, and I drag a little, nap daily, but getting under 9 has been ridiculous. My body just feels completely fatigued. We have a two-story house with the bedrooms upstairs, and every morning I try to make sure I have everything we need before we go downstairs because there's no way I'm making it back up!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 6 Old 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM

Wow. I was 10.9 at my visit last week and I could tell for a week or two that I had started to get really tired. I had forgotten to take my prenatal here and there and I can really tell that makes a huge difference.

I'm sure you're going to feel SO much better DoomaYula!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#6 of 6 Old 10-09-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

I had my first infusion today. It was pretty boring overall! I got an IV of benadryl and then a quick infusion of some iron, then the nurses waited to see if I was allergic to it (I'm not). Apparently iron allergy is not uncommon -- it's similar to a nickel allergy which is fairly common. The benadryl made me so tired so I slept for a while while I got the full infusion. Other than that I watched TV and listened to my hypnobabies scripts.

I'm hoping that I don't have to have benadryl every time, because I felt like a zombie for the rest of the day.

However, I'm really looking forward to some energy!

treehugger.gif Erika

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page