Be sure to hydrate!!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week I was admitted to L and D for intense contractions that did not go away with the usual loading up on water and lying down. They got way worse at the hospital and I nearly fainted when my OB checked me and told me I was at 1 cm dilated at 28 weeks. I guess that's a variation of normal for someone who has had a baby already. I was given a liter of fluid IV and monitored for 4 hours and had loads of urine and blood tests run. Really terrifying! Drink your water ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM

oh my gosh! how scary for you! i am so sorry you had to go through this, but glad you recovered and arent in the hospital anymore! Great advice. I try to drink water all day, but lately I have been slacking because my tap water is so terrible, I have to waddle downstairs to the filtered water for a drink... and if it sits too long, I cant drink it for some reason. Like it grosses me out. haha. Im crazy picky right now. But I will just have to tough it up (or bring up 2 glasses at a time)

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
Old 10-07-2010, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Oooh that is scary! I drink out of quart Mason (canning) jars because if I used regular glasses, I would have to refill them way too many times. But I can tell it hasn't been enough, even though I am quite literally drinking over 1 gallon of water per day. I've been crazy dizzy at night. Your story is a good motivator though!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Wow, that's scary--I'm glad everything is okay now.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 10-07-2010, 01:11 PM

I am glad everything is fine now. And definitely thank you for the reminder!! I have been slacking.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 AM

I second that - Almost the exact same thing happened to me last week! I had cramping that wouldn't go away and I ended up in L&D for a few hours being monitored. I wasn't dilated at all, but they did detect some mild contractions. They pumped me with saline and sent me home. I'm convinced it was dehydration, and I've upped my water intake to more than 140 oz/day (around 4 liters or a little over a gallon), which seems to be helping. Yikes!

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Crashing in from the Jan DDC: I hung up a piece of paper in my kitchen where I mark the number of big glasses of water I down. Very motivating. I am doing it because I have just been diagnosed with a UTI - another reason to keep drinking!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm glad you are feeling better. Could you tell us more about being 1cm dilated.... what does that mean for you. Could you possibly dilate more or could the dilation lessen. thanks for the information.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post
I'm glad you are feeling better. Could you tell us more about being 1cm dilated.... what does that mean for you. Could you possibly dilate more or could the dilation lessen. thanks for the information.
My OB said that for women who have had a baby previously they can walk around the entire pregnancy at 1cm. She described it as 1cm, o%effaced and baby was at -3 station. The cervix is still long and not softened at all, so I'm just hoping it doesn't so much more for the next 8 or so weeks. They don't start treating for preterm labor until 2cm, so I'm a cm away at all times. eeeek!

User Tag List