Newborn diaper stash? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone have their diaper station set up and ready to go yet? I have pictures of mine here:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=539102741
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...7&id=539102741
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=539102741
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=539102741

I'm wondering if maybe I have too much, even for twins.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We don't have any 'newborn' diapers... besides our disposables. I'm hoping for a bigger baby who fits into infant prefolds when we run out of those (about a box and a half).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm I think I have about the same amount! lol I have a bunch of 15-30 pound fitted ready to go too though. I just have mine stashed in a dresser drawer. I can't decide where to put the diaper changing area.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#4 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM

I think I have too much and I'm only have one! We sold everything we had after ds#3 potty trained, thinking we weren't having anymore, so it's been a little fun getting packages in the mail again, but now I have to stop. I did go for simplicity this time; I have to give myself credit for something! Here's what I have:

1 dozen newborn prefolds (GMD orange edge) - I think these will fit for maybe the first couple weeks if this baby is anywhere near the size of his/her brothers, but it'll be nice to have something that fits well.

2 dozen infant prefolds (GMD yellow edge) - these should fit the first couple months (we'll see; ds#2 was in the green edged infant prefolds for about 3 1/2 months; I think ds#3 made it to about 10 weeks!)

3 dozen flats (GMD medium sized ones) - these should last through potty training (my kids were barely 25 pounds, at most, when they all potty trained); plus I can use the newborn prefolds as doublers if need be

4 Imse Vimse muslin flats - these are so nice and soft and quilty; they are big though so I don't see them working well until about a month old.

6 newborn Sandies - so cute! Also very stretchy so should last a while; I bought them used.

3 newborn Under the Nile fitteds - I am so excited that these are being made again (GMD sells them); they are so soft and squishy!

1 newborn Clovers fitted - I bought this at her last stocking before she sold the rights to the diapers/covers; I look forward to whomever bought the rights to start making more.

4 small Sandies - I bought these "used" though they were never even prepped; they are organic and so soft.

6 small Sandies - also bought used; in a bit more used condition, but still will last as long as needed with this one.

4 nb proraps - they fit with the newborn prefolds well so should work the first couple weeks.

2 newborn Thirsties covers - so cute!

3 newborn Imse Vimse covers - these last quite a long time; I think ds#3 went from the newborn size to the medium, skipping the smalls.

1 newborn Imse Vimse wool cover - bullet proof! These are my favorite wool wraps.

2 small MotherEase Air Flows - I love these!

1 small Clovers wool cover - again, hoping someone starts making these again.

I also have all my tie-dyed premium sized prefolds from ds#2 and ds#3; they were too pretty to sell! I have one random BumGenius 3.0 pocket diaper that didn't get sold, though we are hoping to stick with all natural fibers up again the bum. I want to get a couple all natural fiber inside AIO's or AI2's for the diaper bag when the baby gets a little bigger (BottomBumpers and/or OsoCozy I think - I liked sized ones better than one-size). Overall, though, the goal is just flats, prefolds, and some fitteds (mostly for night time or going out). I like to tell myself I've saved money by just going simple.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#5 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM

I don't have any sort of "station" set up, though I bet I would if I were having two, lol!

I did make a few fitteds a while back, and I have a few more cut out. These are some of the finished ones: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=765234021

I'm still waiting for my sister to send back all of my prefolds and a few covers, and I really need to order more covers.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#6 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Post
I don't have any sort of "station" set up, though I bet I would if I were having two, lol!

I did make a few fitteds a while back, and I have a few more cut out. These are some of the finished ones: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=765234021

I'm still waiting for my sister to send back all of my prefolds and a few covers, and I really need to order more covers.
Those are so cute!

#7 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ooh, I love the Animal one!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

So, now I'm worried I don't have enough.

Just kidding. I think we're good. The only thing I'm sad about is that I didn't buy anything new this time around. I didn't need to-- we were gifted a whole bunch of MotherEase and Bum Genius! But maybe once the babies are here and I know how big they are I'll order them each a diaper for their "something to wear" for Christmas.

#9 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
So, now I'm worried I don't have enough.

Just kidding. I think we're good. The only thing I'm sad about is that I didn't buy anything new this time around. I didn't need to-- we were gifted a whole bunch of MotherEase and Bum Genius! But maybe once the babies are here and I know how big they are I'll order them each a diaper for their "something to wear" for Christmas.
It's awesome you were gifted a bunch of diapers!

I'm hoping to get something cute for Christmas too - dh loves wool and has already mentioned longies, so I'm thinking something along those lines might be in order.

#10 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM

This is my first and I'm planning to CD right from the beginning. I've been getting my stash together (all ordered from diaperswappers new or gently used). I can't wait to get everything washed and sorted/set-up, but I'm waiting on my last few dipes that I ordered last week.

Here's what I've got (or is on the way):

GMC prefolds 2 dozen each of orange, yellow, and red
about 20 fitteds of assorted sizes/brands

5 NB covers (4 Bummis, 1 prowraps)
3 S covers (Thirsties)
7 M/L Covers (Thirsties duo sz 2)

8 S pockets (Fuzzibunz/Happy Heinies)
8 M AIO/pockets (mostly Fuzzibunz, a few Sposoeasy)

I wasn't sure if I needed to order anything in a large size at this point. I'm expecting my little boy will be on the small side and I don't know how early he will potty learn. I figure I can get larges later on if I need them. I still need a diaper pail/liner or hanging bag, wetbags for the diaper bag, more cloth wipes, and snappis/pins. I can't wait to get my diaper bag stocked as well! I am hoping the S pockets that I have will also fit during the NB stage, but I'm tempted to order some in XS/NB size just in case, even though I have a bunch of NB prefolds. I really don't want to use any sposies at all and I'm wondering if I'll be able to jump right in with the prefolds or if it would be helpful to use more fitteds/pockets at first.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#11 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Personally, I love either prefolds/flats or fitteds with a cover for the newborn/infant stage before they start eating solids. The combination of a diaper and a cover seem to help keep everything contained. Most pockets (well, the ones I have used in the past with the others) did not have gussets, so there was only one line of defense - the elastic at the legs - and if there was any gaping or anything, they would often leak when baby had a bm. Just my experience; take it for what it's worth.

#12 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM

I've only made about 10 size NB, but my last baby was 9lb 12 oz at birth and this one already feels enormous. So I might not even get to use any of the newborn diapers!
I have a few small, a bunch of medium and plenty prefolds and one size diapers. So I think we'll be good. If not, I'm having fun sewing them and am sure I could whip up a bunch more if need be.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#13 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I'll be interested to see what these babies weigh-- or for that matter, what the US is estimating them to be at tomorrow. My last was 9 pounds, the rest have been in the 6-7 pound range. I imagine twins will be somewhat smaller, but who knows. Nothing else in this pregnancy has been like I expcted.

#14 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM
rad

I just had DH bring up my tub of NB diapers. I'll have to go through it and see what I have. But I think I'm in pretty good shape. I'd still like to get a few more wool longies knitted before the baby gets here.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#15 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 05:32 PM

DDCC -

What a HUGE stash!!! I know you're having twins but, WOW! Yay for you!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#16 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 PM

I am thinking of using a diaper service for the first month so I don't have to do laundry for the first little bit. So, since DS was 9 pounds at birth, I figure my 3 dozen of yellow edge will be enough

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#17 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Wow. Some stashes totally amaze me!

I learned from last time around that my husband won't use prefolds with covers. Or fitteds with covers. Or anything with covers. He likes BumGenius and gdiapers. So I sold off a bunch of fluff on diaperswappers and bought some new-to-us fluff. I now have 25 BG OS plus their inserts (and two random Happy Heiny OS) and 6 sm, 10 med, and over 12 lg gdiapers with their liners that I use WAHM inserts in...I can't afford the flushable refill dealios. I have a bunch of prefolds that I'm going to convert into inserts, and the others I'm just going to dye and use as burp rags. Oh, and 60 flannel wipes. And that's it. And right now they're in bins...I don't think I'll have the time to actually set things up until I go on maternity leave.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3
#18 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

I was really blessed-- as I said, two different friends were very generous in gifting me with their dipes. Most of mine have been used through 2 or 3 (in some cases 4!) kids. So yeah, I feel incredibly blessed. I did have to buy more wipes. Most of mine were pretty much disintegrating.

#19 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Hah, that duck one on the far right looks like the exact fabric used for one of the cloth wipes I have!

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#20 of 23 Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The upside to having so many is that they have less of a chance of wearing out.

We have 3 doz infant prefolds and 2 doz premium in addition to 2 BumGenius. Not quite as many as some people but his diapers take up a lot more space than his clothes!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#21 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 AM

Wipes... I need more wipes. I'm trying to decide whether to put the time into making more from old T-shirts (have tons of old shirts!) or should I just bite the bullet and buy a bunch? What types are good?

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#22 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
Wipes... I need more wipes. I'm trying to decide whether to put the time into making more from old T-shirts (have tons of old shirts!) or should I just bite the bullet and buy a bunch? What types are good?
I decided to just buy some, but I need more. I have 24 cotton velour wipes from GMD. I think I'll supplement those with baby washcloths from Babies R Us or similar place. I thought about making them and then reality set in and I realized I would never get that done with three boys running around the house 24/7!

#23 of 23 Old 10-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Hey Lori~
You should wait to get more after your blessingway...just sayin'!!! Can't wait to see you!!!

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page