Nesty, nesty, nesting... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
The scrapbook Christmas presents are caught up with through today. I also froze 8 oatmeal squares for breakfasts, pear and walnuts ones. I just put 3 quarts of seasoned navy beans into the freezer for me to have as lunches after Squirt is born. Window installation is coming along.
Could you elaborate on the frozen oatmeal squares you put in the freezer? They sound yummy!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 42 Old 10-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Done:
- Rearranged the nursery to fit all of DD's stuff, plus an additional crib (even though we bed-share, I like to have one around for naps, clothing changes, just a place to put baby down!)
- Sorted through all of DD's stuff, put up all the outgrown clothes, moved her clothes to a bigger dresser
- Sorted through all newborn clothes, put all gender-neutral stuff in baby's dresser- have girly clothes at the ready, if it's a boy we may need stuff later on
- DD is now sleeping (mostly) in her crib and (gasp!) in her room
- Made baby tutu for newborn photos in case LO is a girl
- Sorted through baby food, have a bag to donate
- Have all the newborn dipes/covers ready

To do:
- Purchase herbs for postpartum bath
- Purchase AFTER-EASE for after-pains- BIG PRIORITY!
- Soak cloth pads in witch hazel and freeze
- Buy a few birth-y things
- Pack hospital bag
- Install infant seat base
- Need another mirror for the car
- Finish up matching tutu for DD (just in case!)
- Get maternity photos done
- Pre-address birth announcements/Christmas cards
- Reorganize/clean out freezers, freeze more meals
- Set-up diaper changing station in our bedroom for nighttime changes (don't want to have to go into the nursery and wake DD #1)
- Pick up some more 'sposies for the early days
- FIND A GENDER-NEUTRAL, but cute "going-home" gown- ugh this is a hard one
- Finish sewing baby gifts for people due around my time
- Finish up Christmas shopping
- Find a "father's helper" for DH for when I go back to work

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#33 of 42 Old 10-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The scrapbook Christmas presents are caught up with through today. I also froze 8 oatmeal squares for breakfasts, pear and walnuts ones. I just put 3 quarts of seasoned navy beans into the freezer for me to have as lunches after Squirt is born. Window installation is coming along.
Emily,

Do you mind sharing your oatmeal square recipe? Is this baked oatmeal or bars or what? I'm always looking for good freezer recipes!

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#34 of 42 Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM

Here is the oatmeal square recipe, it is baked oatmeal. I cut it into 8 squares, but you could do 12. I bag them individually in sandwich baggies, then put all those in a big freezer gallon baggy for storing in the freezer. Then, you can just grab one square before bedtime (if you remember it) and leave it on the counter and it will room temp by the morning.

1/2 c. applesauce (or melted butter, coconut oil, or canola oil)
1 T oil
1/3 - 1/2 c. honey or sugar
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1 c. milk
2 t. b. powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
3 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. dried or fresh fruit or berries (can be put in frozen)
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Whisk together applesauce through cinnamon. Stir in oats, fruit, and nuts. Pour/pat into a greased 8x11 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, until slightly browned (should look toasted, kind of). Cool. Cut into 8 or 12 squares.

Ein: I totally treated myself to Gymboree (I have bought EVERYTHING else used, except for carseats and diapers) and bought 2 outfits for coming home: one very boy, and one very girl. It was kind of fun, because everything else has been staunchly gender neutral. I'll just bring both little outfits with me and use whichever one is appropriate!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#35 of 42 Old 10-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Here is the oatmeal square recipe, it is baked oatmeal. I cut it into 8 squares, but you could do 12. I bag them individually in sandwich baggies, then put all those in a big freezer gallon baggy for storing in the freezer. Then, you can just grab one square before bedtime (if you remember it) and leave it on the counter and it will room temp by the morning.

1 T oil
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1 c. milk
2 t. b. powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
3 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Whisk together applesauce through cinnamon. Stir in oats, fruit, and nuts. Pour/pat into a greased 8x11 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes, until slightly browned (should look toasted, kind of). Cool. Cut into 8 or 12 squares.

Ein: I totally treated myself to Gymboree (I have bought EVERYTHING else used, except for carseats and diapers) and bought 2 outfits for coming home: one very boy, and one very girl. It was kind of fun, because everything else has been staunchly gender neutral. I'll just bring both little outfits with me and use whichever one is appropriate!
Thanks so much for sharing! That sounds delicious, and will help me check the "fill the freezer" box.

I guess I could just bring two! I do have some VERY girly things- smocked dresses, including the dress DD wore home. Most of them are heirlooms and BEAUTIFUL! The problem is finding a "boy" outfit- I want something beautiful, not just "boy-ish," if that makes sense. I love to keep newborns in gowns (I have gender-neutral sleepers from when I had DD), so I'm hoping to find something dressier in red/dark blue/green- nothing pastel blue. I HATE pastel blue for some reason. Anyway, I'm also looking for a bonnet. I just found this website, which has some really nice things:
http://www.grammies-attic.com/index.html

#36 of 42 Old 10-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
Thanks so much for sharing! That sounds delicious, and will help me check the "fill the freezer" box.

I guess I could just bring two! I do have some VERY girly things- smocked dresses, including the dress DD wore home. Most of them are heirlooms and BEAUTIFUL! The problem is finding a "boy" outfit- I want something beautiful, not just "boy-ish," if that makes sense. I love to keep newborns in gowns (I have gender-neutral sleepers from when I had DD), so I'm hoping to find something dressier in red/dark blue/green- nothing pastel blue. I HATE pastel blue for some reason. Anyway, I'm also looking for a bonnet. I just found this website, which has some really nice things:
http://www.grammies-attic.com/index.html
Hope you enjoy the oatmeal squares! One thought for a little boy coming home outfit is white. I saw at JC Penney the other day that there are some really sweet newborn sized outfits that are white, albeit the boy ones have some blue embroidery on them. Also, if you google "lullabies and mudpies milton FL" it is this HUGE consignment sale that happens a few times a year in Milton. My friends were usually able to pick up awesome clothes, a lot of brand name, for fabulous prices. Just an idea.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#37 of 42 Old 10-25-2010, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Starting my Childbirth classes today (I am SO late on this!)
Printed out Birth Plan 3x (doctor already has a copy)
Finished and printed out my last minute packing list

Now I just need to keep from killing my cat... he tried to jump on my lap, started slipping, and decided to use his claws to keep himself up, ON MY STOMACH!!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#38 of 42 Old 10-25-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
Starting my Childbirth classes today (I am SO late on this!)
Printed out Birth Plan 3x (doctor already has a copy)
Finished and printed out my last minute packing list

Now I just need to keep from killing my cat... he tried to jump on my lap, started slipping, and decided to use his claws to keep himself up, ON MY STOMACH!!
I am a total list fiend, too! Our cat Eddy has been trying to sit on my lap more, but it is kind of disappearing now, so it takes him a long time to get situated. The worst is when he shifts his weight around and puts all 12 pounds of himself into one paw right on my belly.

#39 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

1 T oil
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
1 c. milk
2 t. b. powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
3 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. chopped nuts

Thank you for this! I made a double batch yesterday since we are having company all this week, and it is yummy! The kids love it!

I am not so nesty yet....... I did make DD4's winter comforter, and I am thinking of wee one's blanket, but have not started yet. I don't have too much to do for the new baby (buy car seat, wash clothes, assess and wash diaper stash, and locate a few boy clothes for just in case the us was wrong).
All of that can be done in a day or two, so not feeling pressed..... yet
I do have a lot of gift crafting I want to get done, but just have not wanted to start yet. Maybe after Halloween and after our guests go back home.
Just maintaining the house and homeschooling my four takes up a lot of time and energy, and I am slowing down! I am so excited that the countdown is in the single digits now! Hoping babe shows up a bit early.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#40 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Dd loves baked oatmeal. It's the only way I can get her to eat oatmeal since she won't eat it with a spoon. I don't care for it too much (I'm not a fan of sweet at all in the morning), but I definitely need to make up a few batches for easy breakfasts for her after the baby comes.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#41 of 42 Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post
Dd loves baked oatmeal. It's the only way I can get her to eat oatmeal since she won't eat it with a spoon. I don't care for it too much (I'm not a fan of sweet at all in the morning), but I definitely need to make up a few batches for easy breakfasts for her after the baby comes.
I agree on the sweetness, I cut out most of the honey and just add a bit more applesauce instead. I am going to try and add some ground flax next time too.

reading.gif

mom to dd-99, dd-01, dd-born still@40w 7/04, ds-05, dd-08, dd-10, dd-13

love and light

#42 of 42 Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 AM

I froze last night's left over pasta fagiole sauce, so that is enough for one meal for me and DH. And I made 2 loaves of whole wheat sandwich bread for me and put those in the freezer, along with a loaf of banana bread, but I plan on eating that sooner than Squirt's arrival.

Also deep cleaned the main part of the house this weekend, because our window installation project involved some tile cutting and there was dust EVERYWHERE. Those curtains needed washed anyway.

I was going to make a pouch/hotsling, but decided to order one instead. Some friend gave me the discount code for a brand called Seven Slings (I think?) and it gave you a free pouch if you paid shipping.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page