I'm 2 seconds away from killing my dog. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just a vent.

It's storming. She's scared. She's now up on the couch with me shaking and panting profusely (she's not even allowed up here but I can't physically get her off). At first I felt badly for her bc she's scared. Now I just want her to stop. The sound of her panting is really annoying and her being right up against me is making me bounce around with her every breath. She's lucky I like her on any other day, that's all I know.

LOL! You can't tell I'm tired, cranky and in the third tri, can you?

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#2 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 03:07 AM

Aww that sucks. Have you tried rescue remedy, sometimes that helps. Also if she has a crate that you can cover and maybe put on some white noise to cover up the sound of the rain. It can make her feel more secure. I have 3 dogs and at some point they all drive me crazy.
#3 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 04:19 AM

Oooh, you have my full sympathies. Our dog (a Golden Retriever) would go bezerk during storms. The concern was always what we would find when we got home if a storm started while we were out.

He passed away in April, and I have to say, I am somewhat relieved to not be needing to support a toddler, a dog and soon a baby all on my own.

We just had to hold him and sooth him with our voices and hands. I tried rescue, but I don't think it helped. He would just be hysterical.

for you and your dog

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#4 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Yes, that is maddening, isn't it? Two out of our four dogs are like that...God forbid they hear one clap of thunder. My great dane just turns into a shivering, shaking, drooling mess and tries to cram himself into the smallest spot he can find...usually the hall closet or the bathroom. Its pitiful. And one of the border collies usually has to be pried out from under the couch or the bed. Crating doesn't seem to help, and we gave up on Rescue Remedy a long time ago.

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
caffix.gif  treehugger.gif  fambedsingle2.gif   chicken3.gif
#5 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 AM

My dogs were up at 3:30 this morning, begging to go out. For no particular reason. I hear ya!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#6 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So not a dog but my CAT is driving me up the wall! He's chewed through 2 pairs of headphones, my Nook charger, the pump to my birth ball, and anything plastic he can find. The end of DH's charger is all chewed up (but still works) and he's gotten in the habit of waking us up in the morning by biting us!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#7 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM

My cat brought in fleas! Apparently I slacked on his flea treatments and just when I thought we were in the clean I am finding them everywhere. I am losing my mind!!!!! I found one on my son at the library today and 1 actually biting my daughter this afternoon! I am vacuuming and will be carpet shampooing this weekend when the kids are gone and DH is home to help. It's just so gross and I'm so freaking tired, the last thing I want to do is lug the vacuum around, including on all the beds, daily! I am trying my hardest to avoid toxic chemicals in the house, but if the major weekend clean, all clothes from everywhere washed, and carpet shampooing don't do the trick, I may have to resort to it. I typically really like our cat, he's sweet, god with the kids, etc, but I am so freaking ready to get rid of him right now!! Wow, I needed an animal vent!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#8 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 04:06 PM

There are herbal treatments you can give to your dog. You can also request valium or other such calming pills from your vet.

Make her a bed somewhere closed in and safe though she may only want to be near your. My grandma's dog would hide in the closet... but CHEW the wall.. the door.. by the end of the night is was sawdust to the extreme in there. My dog pants and crawls up onto the bed/couch. I love her and don't mind usually though. I try to talk her through it. I don't really want to give her drugs. I have a hang up about them. When I have a panic attack my dh acts awful and is angry and pissed and tells me to shut up. Least helpful. Then I have to spend all my time yelling at him and that just upsets me more than I have no support. It's infuriating and frustrating and sad. I just need for him to hold my paw.. er hand.
#9 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM

I give my dog rescue remedy. I got so sick of him though that he's been living at my in laws for the past few months. Couldn't handle the smell, the slobber, the pooping, jumping around begging for food, the constant howling, the bed wetting...he's a 14 year old beagle.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Oh man, speaking of dogs... Our great dane has had diarrhea this week. IN THE HOUSE. The smell nearly killed me. Thank god for dh who got up in the middle of the night to clean it. 3 TIMES.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#11 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
Oh man, speaking of dogs... Our great dane has had diarrhea this week. IN THE HOUSE. The smell nearly killed me. Thank god for dh who got up in the middle of the night to clean it. 3 TIMES.
Oh, yuck...that's just brutal, isn't it? Not that it isn't bad when it happens to a smaller dog, but when a dane goes, it pretty much deserves its own zip code. Ewww. Do you know what's causing it?

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
#12 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Poor dog, and poor you. Sounds frustrating.

I am such a cat person, but when I'm pregnant I can't stand my cats. I get so frustrated with them. They are peeing on everything just now, despite having 3 litter trays that my DH keeps cleaned out regularly. It makes me so mad. They just seem so germy and are SO desperate for attention all the time. Thankfully with 4 kids in the house, they get tons of attention, because they're not getting much from me. I don't want to be near them. That sounds horrible, I know.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#13 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurinia View Post
Oh, yuck...that's just brutal, isn't it? Not that it isn't bad when it happens to a smaller dog, but when a dane goes, it pretty much deserves its own zip code. Ewww. Do you know what's causing it?
No, it happened one night, so we left him out for a few days, since he is SO bad about eating junk. He seemed fine, not sick. Let him back in to sleep about 5 days later, and its was even worse!! We are talking all over the walls here. Like lakes on the floor. OMG It was awful. He hasn't seemed sick though, so I don't know, and truthfully, with all the medical bills due to being pregnant, we can't do too much about it, other than feed him bland foods.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#14 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
No, it happened one night, so we left him out for a few days, since he is SO bad about eating junk. He seemed fine, not sick. Let him back in to sleep about 5 days later, and its was even worse!! We are talking all over the walls here. Like lakes on the floor. OMG It was awful. He hasn't seemed sick though, so I don't know, and truthfully, with all the medical bills due to being pregnant, we can't do too much about it, other than feed him bland foods.
Just out of curiousity, what kind of food do you feed him? Mine has sort of a sensitive stomach, and when he's no longer able to tolerate whatever food he's on at the time, this is usually what happens. The other thing you might want to consider is having him tested for worms and/or giardia...I know you don't have a lot of money, but its been going on for quite awhile it sounds like, and if he gets dehydrated and starts dropping weight it could turn pretty serious. Maybe call your vet and see if they'd just charge you to test a stool sample if you brought it in, rather than taking the dog and having to pay an office visit as well?

#15 of 17 Old 10-19-2010, 10:53 PM

I feel you with being fed up with the dog. My female decided to get herself pregnant 5 days before we had our male fixed. She had help from my daughter who let her out of the crate.

Anyways. Fast forward. Puppies are 5 weeks old. She really doesn't take care of them. She will eat their food and then not nurse them. She is being really destructive and pooping all over the house multiple times a day. She has a 5 gallon bucket FULL of dog food which is the same as the puppies in hope that would stop her eating their food... nope. She's just a mean mama. Now as of the past 2 days.. she's decided no more cleaning up after them.

So I'm stuck cleaning up after them and bathing them almost daily... (32 weeks with twins). Its getting old super fast.

Puppies leave in 2 weeks and mama gets fixed in 3 weeks. So her booty better get into shape after that. I don't need to clean up for twins and her poop several times a day. She'll be finding a new place to stay.

OOOH and yes... SUPER hyper all of a sudden lately too. More so than normal. The vet said the preggo hormones at around 30 weeks really start to mess with dogs, but it should get better once babies are here.

Mama to a zoo!
#16 of 17 Old 10-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurinia View Post
Just out of curiousity, what kind of food do you feed him? Mine has sort of a sensitive stomach, and when he's no longer able to tolerate whatever food he's on at the time, this is usually what happens. The other thing you might want to consider is having him tested for worms and/or giardia...I know you don't have a lot of money, but its been going on for quite awhile it sounds like, and if he gets dehydrated and starts dropping weight it could turn pretty serious. Maybe call your vet and see if they'd just charge you to test a stool sample if you brought it in, rather than taking the dog and having to pay an office visit as well?
Hmmm, I know its a large breed kind, but dh usually takes care of that.

He seems to be doing great, haven't noticed anymore diarrhea, but if it happens again we'll have to take him in I guess. Or dh can get a stool sample, OMG.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#17 of 17 Old 10-20-2010, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I gave our old beast valerian one night during a prolonged storm. It actually worked pretty well. Thankfully, he would just climb as close as he could to the bed without actually getting ON it and would shove his nose into my side. Very rarely, he would curl up at the bottom of the bed. He's since died, but we still have our younger female, and she.is.awful. During storms (or, heaven help us, fireworks) she gets IN the bed with us. Like, curls up on top of our heads/pillows and does the whole panting/shaking thing. The only thing I can manage is to kick dh and whisper frantically at him to "Get YOUR dog OUT of the bed!", which is hopefully accomplished before the dog either sits on or otherwise wakes up dd, who is a wretched sleeper to begin with.

You have my sympathy, OP, and everyone else dealing with poor, scared dogs!

For greater things are yet to come...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page