I lost my mucus plug - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-25-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a little freaked out, but not too much..... I lost my mucus plug this morning. There was no blood in it and it was whole. I did lose my plug a couple times before my DD was born so I do know that they can regenerate. I just feel like at 32 weeks it's a little early! I did a lot of physical work this weekend and have been having a lot of BHs, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#2 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 AM

That would definitely surprise me too!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#3 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
wow! I lost mine with my first, but that was the only one I noticed it with the next 2??? I didn't see one?
kinda freaky anyway

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#4 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM

Whoa, that would freak me out! I guess it's no big deal, but it just makes it seem like things are getting so close!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#5 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 07:00 PM

I've been losing mine for a few weeks. I have nothing for a few days then I'll have a day where it seems like the whole thing comes out, but I guess it reforms. It hasn't brought on anything more serious, so I don't worry about it any more. I just see it as the beginning of the end, even if it takes a while, it's a sign of heading the right direction.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#6 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
rad

I lose little bits here and there after alot of activity. They constantly regenerate so it's really no big deal. I usually odn't lose all of mine until I'm well into labor and there is so much when it comes out that I know not to worry about little bit here and there now.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#7 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 07:47 PM

Ahh! You're making me excited and nervous. I want time to go a little quicker so DH can come home and I can have this baby (I'm 34w btw).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#8 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM

I lost some of mine this am too!
Dh freaked out. I was eh, it doesn't mean anything.
I had an ob appt today and he didn't think it was anything either.
But crazy to think that it will be happening for real soon!
#9 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I've been slowly losing mine over the past couple weeks. No blood, just goop.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

It's reassuring to not be the only one! I took it easy today and the contractions were much more mild. I thought it was weird that it came out whole, but there is nothing else to concern me.

With DD I lost 3 separate whole plugs, it really messed with me because I thought it was a closer signal of labor, but it was a whole 3 weeks after the 1st one that she arrived. I don't remember with DS, I think I lost it in pieces. It is exciting that things are progressing for us!!

#11 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 PM

So does anyone know what our cervixes are supposed to feel like? I tried checking mine and I think I found it (I used to check it while TTC). Its like a jello cube in there or something. I don't feel the opening so I'm guessing its closed up but it really does make jello look firm.

#12 of 20 Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 PM

Ok, not to highjack but I didn't see any mucus plug with DD, how can you tell, what does it look like? I get a lot of goop but I'm not sure what I'm looking at...description, anyone?

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#13 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 AM

I've been having loads of goop for a while now. I have no idea whether this is normal discharge or mucus plug coming out in bits and regenerating at about the pace that it is sloughing off. I'm off to my midwife today, so I'll ask her opinion.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#14 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
Ok, not to highjack but I didn't see any mucus plug with DD, how can you tell, what does it look like? I get a lot of goop but I'm not sure what I'm looking at...description, anyone?
It it usually slightly blood-tinged mucus, exactly what you'd see if you blow your nose and end up with a full tissue.

Bit of trivia: Generally speaking (obviously not ALWAYS based on this thread alone), if a first-time mother loses her mucus plug, the baby will be born in about a week. In subsequent births, if a mother loses her mucus plug, the baby will be born in a day or so.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#15 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
It it usually slightly blood-tinged mucus, exactly what you'd see if you blow your nose and end up with a full tissue.
OH no, if that's the description, well minus the blood-tinged part. I have been losing mine for the past couple of days. and I am only 31 weeks...

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#16 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 PM

If it's not really bloody I wouldn't worry. A couple little streaks of blood doesn't worry me either. I have the bloody show right when I'm about to start labor or am in labor. But I lose plug for weeks. It's like clear jelly, some stringy bits but mosly like baby jellyfish or something (sorry for the TMI!!!). It doesn't mean dialation or anything. It can just even be that baby is low and bouncing off the cervix and dislodging stuff, or being intimate with DH can dislodge it, or even a cervial exam. But if it's bloody or you're having cramping or other signs with it then take it seriously.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#17 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think I read once that the bloody part is the part that's closest to the cervix. What I've been losing is kind of off-white yellowish goop. Blech. The only kid I remember completely losing my mucus plug for was #2, and she was born 5 hours later.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#18 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

for me, I have increased d/c about this time anyway and the difference between thick d/c and mucus plug for me is jelly aspect. If it's thick and gooey it's d/c, if it's clear/green/yellow/blood tinged or streaked, it's plug. This time when it came out whole it looked like a greenish/whitish jello wine cork, yeah, it was gross and cool at the same time! I have lost a few bits since and some d/c that looked like it could be cork, but I don't think it was.

Typically a 1st time mom will have her baby within a week of losing the plug (that messed with my head when I went 3 more weeks!) and a subsequent mom will have much more variation in it's loss and many women never even notice losing it. They may lose it in labor or it may just fall into the toilet unnoticed.

I agree that if it was blood tinged (more of an indicator of cervical change-capillaries breaking in the cervix as it opens) I would be more worried.

#19 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM

I'm not losing my plug yet but I've started to get this pressure down there. It like JUST started after my bath and its so not comfortable. Standing about 10 minutes ago felt like someone punched me in the bladder.

#20 of 20 Old 10-27-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

WoA, I bet it was your baby! I get cervix and bladder punches all the time so that made me laugh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page