Based on the pregnancy, what do you think baby's temperament will be? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just thinking about this: my pregnancy with DD had some surprises, like bleeding first tri, a degenerating fibroid cyst that landed me in the emerg, but she was overall pretty calm in there, she moved but wasn't a wild mover, she pushed the midwife's hand away when the MW was feeling her head in my pelvis , she stayed chilled out through a long hard labour...all these things gave us definite clues about who she is now: she was a calm baby and toddler, didn't cry much, pretty chilled out but determined and tenacious. She definitely has her own ideas of things, but can stay calm under pressure (funny to say about a 4-year-old but weirdly true).

Now this pregnancy has been comparatively easy (no bleeding or fibroid issues) and this guy, well he's a MOVER and a shaker, he flips around a LOT, LOVES to interact by kicking and feeling around when you talk to him, LOVES to kick DH in the face when he hears his voice. He has dance parties every night starting about 10pm. He always jumps on my bladder when I have to pee, he hides from the MWs hands and the doppler, we think he's going to be high energy and a character! Anyone else getting clues? I thought it could be fun to look back at this later and see if we're right about temperament based on how they act now.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think he's going to be a Daddy's Boy and is going to always want a piece of whatever is going on. I think once he starts rolling over he's going to be the happiest kid ever. Its all he ever seems to do in there. He doesn't flip too often but he can never decide which side he's going to lay on.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM

I know that I have felt much more aggressive and agitated this pregnancy than ever before. And also...ahem...more keen for DH. So I'm thinking there's a lot of testosterone in there. Whether it's a boy or a girl, I'm thinking it will be a brute. It seems huge too, so a big, bulky, masculine boy or girl hehe.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#4 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My guy seems pretty active to me, though most of the time he stops moving when DH or anyone but me (and sometimes even me) touches. So maybe he's going to be a little shy. That would make sense considering his parents

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#5 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 02:27 PM

Qbear: you so well summarized the exact words I would've used for DD who is now 2.5 and Julian who I am 33 weeks with at the moment! Typically, boys tend to be more physical creatures but I had no idea it started in the womb. When he gets going, he's moving and shaking. I used to think it was silly when mamas commented that their baby stepped on their cervix then I felt for myself more than a few times. NOT pleasant at all.
#6 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 04:34 PM

I think my son's going to be pretty mellow (just like his dad!) based on his uterine behavior. He moves plenty, but it's usually pretty languid. Also, he is active during the day, and seems to sleep when I sleep! I sooooooooooooo hope he keeps that up!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#7 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspberry.swirl View Post
Qbear: you so well summarized the exact words I would've used for DD who is now 2.5 and Julian who I am 33 weeks with at the moment! Typically, boys tend to be more physical creatures but I had no idea it started in the womb. When he gets going, he's moving and shaking. I used to think it was silly when mamas commented that their baby stepped on their cervix then I felt for myself more than a few times. NOT pleasant at all.
So true! I don't think DD ever made me gasp with her movements, but the force of this one's movements really do shock me sometimes. There have been times when I have wondered if he was ok in there with all the acrobatics...I just hope he likes to sleep as much as the rest of us!! Now that he seems to have switched to head-down, I get head butts in the cervix, also not a treat!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#8 of 14 Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My son was pretty mellow in the womb. I used to do kick counts with him just because I was worried! And he was so stuck near the end that he didn't roll over for at least the last month (feet were always on the same side). He was an easy happy infant (though somewhat clingy), and a fairly mellow toddler as well. He's unusually compliant for his age (20 months).
This one is more active, so maybe I'm in for more of a handful?
#9 of 14 Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM

For me it seems to have been the opposite.
My son with special needs was my easiest pregnancy (birth wasn't easy, but only one of my births were)

This little girl is MOVER. Seriously, she keeps me up and sometimes I feel like she is trying to bruise me! I could see her move from the outside the earliest of all my pregnancies and I have plenty of extra belly fat that should have made it harder.

I hope that it means she will be mellow. But it could mean I am in for some trouble. Very happy to meet her either way.
#10 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Great thread!! I was just thinking about this the other day, and I was hoping that my pregnancy was my labor and that the other parts (labor itself, and breastfeeding) would come easier for me and my LO. Since this pregnancy has been much more challenging, perhaps the baby will be strong, in charge, sensitive, and caring. I can not wait to meet this LO and get to know her.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#11 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 06:09 PM

im in a similar boat. i was sick a ton with my first (DD- 4yrs). Whole last trimester had a kidney stent/infection was put on medication (never knew I had any other options). Anyways, DD didnt move hardly at all. She was and still is the calmest kid I know. She can get frustrated, dont get me wrong. But she always slept 12 hours through the night as a baby and by 8 months was super uninterested in sleeping with me haha.

This little man, oh my, he physically hurts me all day long. DD was breech and so was DS (until I did the webster thing with a chiro and it worked!), but now that hes vertex the kicks to the cervix and kicks to my ribs and lungs and he just moves all day and all night. I feel guilty, but I hate this pregnancy because of it. Im hurting non-stop. And Im terrified he will continue this constantly awake and active behavior after he's born. How will he fit into the daily schedule of napping and relaxing my daughter and I have set up? hmm...

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#12 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM

ddcc

I was thinking about this throughout this pregnancy because this little one seems so much quieter then her big sisters. Then I learned that I have an anterior placenta. Now i wonder if she will be even crazier then her big sisters. After all she is not that quiet now I know that she has a padded wall between her and the outside world.

Mandy, Mama to three wildfire girls and another little one on the way. Due 1/30/13

#13 of 14 Old 11-01-2010, 11:00 PM
myk

jan DDCC

i'm hoping she'll be more into routines than my first. the pregnancy has been quite difficult, but she's always been great.. it's me that has the problems! one thing i've noticed is that she has distinct periods of "let's dance!" and periods of sleeping/quiet. DD1 was Miss No Routines right from the get go.. i was lucky enough to be home with her for the early years but it wasn't easy.. and she still, at age 6, doesn't sleep through the night.

maybe katie will sleep through sooner

January 2011
#14 of 14 Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

I'm a first-timer, so I have nothing to go by, but I think this LO will be pretty laid back. Pregnancy has been pretty easy, with the exception of some awful round ligament pain around 20/21 weeks. She's pretty mellow in the womb lately. Whenever I get nervous that I haven't felt her in awhile, she'll helpfully kick me in the ribs to reassure me that she's ok. She'll be a good eater, but picky; I'm hungry constantly, but crave specific things. She has a sense of humor - she likes to mess with her Daddy. I'll tell him when I feel her moving, but as soon as his hands are on my belly, it's like she stops, as if no one should know she's there. (Lol, sorry kid, we know where you're hiding!)

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page