Acid Reflux - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I had the WORSE acid reflux EVER!!!! I woke up at 1:50 this morning and started throwing up because of it!!! Then it didn't stop until 3...and i ended up having to sit up in DH's rocking chair/recliner to try to sleep the rest of the morning before my alarm went off at 5:00 for me to get up and get my shower to head to work!!!! I am sooooooo tired right now and feel like CRAP! I still have that WONDERFUL burning in my throat that keeps coming up every 5 to 10 minutes and then goes right back down! Does anyone know what the best thing to eat when your acid reflux is so bad that is causes you to throw up for an hour and 10 minutes without stopping?

I also had diarreha yesterday afternoon...which really sucks. I am so tired of going from one extream to another when it come to going to the bathroom!!! And it seems that things have just started getting worse the last few days! These are the exact things that started happening about a week or two before I gave birth to DD#1 and so I've been a little worried about it. I'm only just about 34 weeks...so i would be GREATFUL if she would just stay where she is until i'm 37 to 39 weeks!!!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM

I'm having the same issues, plus nausea and never feeling hungry. I just keep telling him to hang in there for 3 more weeks, at least!
#3 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have it rarely but I've heard some people recommending papaya extract. I hope you find something that works!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#4 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'm willing to try anything at this time!!! I'm sitting straight up at work today and still having problems with it!!! GRRRRRRR...i just want it to go away!!! LOL...i just keep trying to remind myself only 3 to 6 weeks left and it should be much better!!!! I guess we'll see!!!

Brandy(28) mommy to Jayde (12/14/03) and Emma Mattilynn-Gail born 12/06/10 and Loving wife to DH (32)! TTC#3 since April 2011! Missing our little angel.gifs that we lost so early 7/11 & 11/11! Praying to get our rainbow1284.gif babyf.gifsoon!

#5 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 PM

You can take Pepcid. I use Papaya for mild-moderate heartburn and it does help, plus you can take pretty much whatever you need. I use Tums less frequently if the heartburn is more severe. You can't pop those whenever you want, though, because the calcium may be good for you (especially if you have restless legs) but it inhibits your body's natural ability to absorb iron, which is a problem if you're prone to anemia in pregnancy. If I try papaya and move on to Tums and it's still painful, or if I can tell right away that my heartburn is so incredibly severe that papaya and Tums won't help, I go right for Pepcid. I wouldn't take that on a daily basis or anything, but one tablet now and then can be a lifesaver, especially at night when I can't sleep because I keep gagging as if I'm about to throw up from the reflux.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#6 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 06:04 PM

I hate to take meds, but I can't deal with waking up to horrible heartburn every night and not sleeping. I started ranitidine and take tums now and then. The ranitidine really helps!
#7 of 10 Old 10-31-2010, 11:57 PM

I find slippery elm lozenges really really help.
I hope you find something to help you...it's terrible isn't it?!

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#8 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 01:15 AM

Gosh that sounds really bad. I'm having a lot of discomfort from it, but haven't puked or anything. I've been kept up a few nights. I'm doing papaya enzymes but I swear it makes my braxton hicks stronger and more frequent. I'm already having prodomal labor, and it's way early and annoying. I've had 2 nights of it now. So I'm a bit scared to take the papaya.
I've taken tums a few times too, but I've heard it can calcify the placenta...I haven't looked much further into that.

Regarding what to eat..I don't know. I'm sorry. I know to avoid fatty and spicy foods. I sometimes find a banana helps, but sometimes just anything you put down the gullet is going to burn. Eating little and often helps, instead of letting the stomach get empty and then overfilling it.

I really hope you get some relief soon. That sounds extremely difficult to handle.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#9 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

I'm taking Zantac and Tums (as per my mws) and still get breakthrough heartburn and reflux. It doesn't matter much what I eat or drink, though (obviously) more acidic things are more likely to do me in.

My mws won't recommend anything else but seeing a gastro, which I really don't want to have to do with less than 2 months to go, but will if I get to the point of actual vomiting. Right now, I'm "just" at the lumps-in-the-throat point.

My sister, otoh, puked until she was vomiting blood, and went to the hospital, where the gastro prescribed Nexium. That helped with the severity, but wasn't quite 100%.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#10 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM

I've been taking papaya religiously with every "meal" and before bedtime for a few weeks now. Last night I finally got tired around 1:45am and went to bed, and as soon as I put my head down on the pillow it was like a ghoul was living in my throat -- seriously, these awful ungodly bubbly burpy noises coming out of me (along with the feeling of he acid flowing up). It was so weird and gross, I thought for sure it would wake my spouse, but luckily he sleeps like a log...

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page