Spotlight on ~Gucci&Granola~! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-02-2010, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The basics....
give us your name, where you live, your age, how many kids you already have, when you're due (whatever you’re comfortable with!)

What is your favorite food?

Do you own any pets? What are they and what are their names?

What's your favorite baby thing so far (that you've purchased or had given to you)?

Do you like to read? What kinds of books?

What's your favorite thing about being pregnant?

Least favorite?

And now, everyone feel free to jump in with your own questions!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#2 of 7 Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM

My name is Lia and my husband and I are expecting our first baby (a girl) December 21st/22nd. We live in our hometown, Ann Arbor (which is a fairly liberal college town in Michigan).

Eating is pretty much my favorite activity, I couldn't pick a favorite food if my life depended on it. So far this pregnancy I have been enjoying fancy cheese, artisan breads, vegetables, fruits, pastries, salads, roasted chicken, Thai curries, Indian food, tacos, hearty soups, and homemade casseroles. Pretty much what I eat normally just in larger quantities.

We got a puppy named Frances a few months before I conceived. She was rescued from a puppy mill and has been a lot of work but we love her dearly. She is a smallish dog (terrier mix) and enjoys snuggling and chasing leaves.

So far our baby items consist mostly of clothes. My baby shower is actually this coming Saturday and some things I am excited about from the registry include a wrap carrier and organic hooded towels (one with a chicken and one with a hippo) for the baby to wear after bath time.

I love to read and am pretty all over the place in terms of genre. I read a lot of fiction. Favorite books/authors: Jane Austen, Joanne Harris, Alice Hoffman, Peter Mayle, Barbara Kingsolver, Zora Neale Hurston... I also love craft, design, natural health, art, and lifestyle books.

My favorite thing about being pregnant is feeling the baby move and feeling so connected to her. James and I planned very carefully so that I would not have to work a regular job while pregnant and I have been very grateful to rest, take care of myself, and marvel at the life taking shape inside me.

Some of my least favorite things about pregnancy include limited mobility, fatigue, blotchy skin, mood swings, and trying to get dressed everyday in something not resembling hobo gear.

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 PM

How great that you are relaxing and enjoying pregnancy, when I was pregnant with DD I worked a part time contract and it was lovely!!

Tell us about your birth plans and any possible names you may have for your little girl!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#4 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM

I've been interested in your username for a while! Can you tell us how you came up with that?

Do you like living in Ann Arbor? It seems like it is beatiful up there, from what our friends say, but I've never been.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#5 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbear'smama View Post
How great that you are relaxing and enjoying pregnancy, when I was pregnant with DD I worked a part time contract and it was lovely!!

Tell us about your birth plans and any possible names you may have for your little girl!
Our plan is to have our daughter at home with two midwives and close family in attendance. I know a lot of people like for their labor to be a private experience but I tend to feel much less anxious and fearful when I feel supported.

Our home is a small two story and we will be setting up the birth equipment upstairs. I plan on having my mother (who is acting as my doula), my husband, and my midwife with me and having other family (my sister, MIL, and possibly father) downstairs waiting to meet the new baby. We did not rent a tub for a water birth but I do plan on laboring at least partially in my bathtub.

I am very particular about my surroundings and will be creating the space that I need with fresh flowers, soft music, candles and aromatherapy. I'm sure at a certain point none of it will matter (transition anyone?) ha! But for laboring in general I need things to be beautiful and tranquil.

If and hospital transfer is necessary there is a very nice one 5 minutes from our house complete with private labor rooms, birthing tubs, midwives, and a very conscientious staff. My midwife team has transfered with women to this particular hospital before and had nothing but great things to say. I am hoping for a home birth but it's nice to know that if I need it, emergency care is close.

I really love the name Olivia, but it's very very common right now so we're axing it. Eleanor (love the nickname Ella) is on the table as is Charlotte. I think we both feel like we need to meet her face to face before making a final decision.

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.

#6 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatchick View Post
I've been interested in your username for a while! Can you tell us how you came up with that?

Do you like living in Ann Arbor? It seems like it is beatiful up there, from what our friends say, but I've never been.
I chose my username because It's simple and catchy and in a very cheeky way represents me. In some ways I am pretty crunchy (hence the Granola). My husband and I are planning to cloth diaper, co-sleep, breast feed, we are not vaccinating, if the baby had been a boy we would not have circumcised, and we prioritize natural products in our home. The Gucci part of the name eludes to my love of fashion, good hair days, and grooming. In actuality I don't eat granola often or own anything designed by Gucci, but the sentiment is there and I liked how the two sounded together.

I love living in Ann Arbor. After high school my husband (then boyfriend) and I moved to Chicago to attend college. We both enjoyed the big city and I couldn't wait to get out of Ann Arbor. A couple of years later right after we got married we realized that our quality of life would be ten times better if we moved back to Ann Arbor.

Moving back home has allowed us to live in a lovely townhouse with hardwood floors and our own basement with washer and dryer (having your own washer and dryer is pretty rare in a big city). I feel safe here (even in our very expensive "nice" neighborhood in Chicago there always seemed to be a serial rapist or string of burglaries) and we have been able to build a real life on a modest income.

Being the oldest pair of 25 year olds on the planet , we are happy with the variety of family friendly activities including: a year round farmers market, pumpkin patch, cider mill, summer art fair with thousands of booths, lakes to swim in, tons of music, dance, and theater through the University of Michigan, great food, decent shopping, free lectures and recitals through the university, and an awesome public library (complete with free events for kids and adults).

It's also easy to shop locally here which is important to us. There is a garden/general type store where I buy spring bulbs, canning supplies, sun hats, and mulch. Great local bakery that sells bread worth swooning over. A food co-op that is well stocked and well maintained (that has an adjoining cafe featuring free trade coffee and tea, and a hot bar/salad bar with delicious natural foods). The public school system is very highly rated, the crime is low, and the unemployment rate is always lower than the rest of the state. For James and me it was about finding a place to raise a family that allowed us access to the things that are most important to us. Turned out that place was right back where we started.

Ann Arbor is probably not for you if you are: very conservative, can't deal with snow or winter, need a very active nightlife (there are clubs and bars that stay open late but it's not the same as a big city), don't own a car (public transport is fine during the week but it's not great on weekends and would make running errands difficult).

#7 of 7 Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gucci&Granola View Post
I chose my username because It's simple and catchy and in a very cheeky way represents me. In some ways I am pretty crunchy (hence the Granola). My husband and I are planning to cloth diaper, co-sleep, breast feed, we are not vaccinating, if the baby had been a boy we would not have circumcised, and we prioritize natural products in our home. The Gucci part of the name eludes to my love of fashion, good hair days, and grooming. In actuality I don't eat granola often or own anything designed by Gucci, but the sentiment is there and I liked how the two sounded together.

I love living in Ann Arbor. After high school my husband (then boyfriend) and I moved to Chicago to attend college. We both enjoyed the big city and I couldn't wait to get out of Ann Arbor. A couple of years later right after we got married we realized that our quality of life would be ten times better if we moved back to Ann Arbor.

Moving back home has allowed us to live in a lovely townhouse with hardwood floors and our own basement with washer and dryer (having your own washer and dryer is pretty rare in a big city). I feel safe here (even in our very expensive "nice" neighborhood in Chicago there always seemed to be a serial rapist or string of burglaries) and we have been able to build a real life on a modest income.

Being the oldest pair of 25 year olds on the planet , we are happy with the variety of family friendly activities including: a year round farmers market, pumpkin patch, cider mill, summer art fair with thousands of booths, lakes to swim in, tons of music, dance, and theater through the University of Michigan, great food, decent shopping, free lectures and recitals through the university, and an awesome public library (complete with free events for kids and adults).

It's also easy to shop locally here which is important to us. There is a garden/general type store where I buy spring bulbs, canning supplies, sun hats, and mulch. Great local bakery that sells bread worth swooning over. A food co-op that is well stocked and well maintained (that has an adjoining cafe featuring free trade coffee and tea, and a hot bar/salad bar with delicious natural foods). The public school system is very highly rated, the crime is low, and the unemployment rate is always lower than the rest of the state. For James and me it was about finding a place to raise a family that allowed us access to the things that are most important to us. Turned out that place was right back where we started.

Ann Arbor is probably not for you if you are: very conservative, can't deal with snow or winter, need a very active nightlife (there are clubs and bars that stay open late but it's not the same as a big city), don't own a car (public transport is fine during the week but it's not great on weekends and would make running errands difficult).
Neat! I like the juxtaposition in your username.

I can't wait till we can move to a place like Ann Arbor. We are in FL because of my husband's job with the Coast Guard, and I would love to leave and live in CT or NH or VT or northeastern PA. Being as we are the oldest 23 and 24 year old on the planet the things you said are what we love, too! This place has almost zero of all that, and it is frustrating to me, but at least it is temporary.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page