Vitamin K and puffy feet... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there!
Sorry if this has been asked, I have been away for a little while. What are you all doing about vitamin K? I am trying to research it, but so much info on both sides and quite frankly I am just tired of researching everything! So I thought I'd ask my thoughtful Due Date buddies...

Also, while you are at it, has anyone had chiropractic care and had it fix puffy feet? I was just checking out spinningbabies.com as LO is breech, and the woman who got adjusted said her feet improved. It makes sense. Any other tips are appreciated, it is getting to summer here and already quite hot and my feet feel terrible! Never lying on my back helps, even on an angle, so I know it is a circulation thing.

Anyway hugs and smiles to all you mamas, you are such a great group!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm only doing the vitamin K if there's a reason (bruising, foreceps/vaccuum was needed, ect).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM

I will be declining some things, but I consider the vitamin K injection to be crucial because the consequences of neonatal hemorrhage are so potentially devastating and the risks of the vitamin K are so minimal.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM

I don't do vitamin K for a normal birth. I don't cirumsize, and if baby doesn't have a traumatic birth I don't use it. If there's bruising or a traumatic birth etc I'd want to get it.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're doing the same with the vit K - only giving it if the birth is traumatic to the baby (forceps, extensive bruising or moulding, etc). I'm also drinking alfalfa tea every day, to build up my own vit k stores, which should be passed along to the baby via breastfeeding after the birth. You could do alfalfa tablets instead, I suppose.
Some people are super pro-oral vit k. My opinion is that it all comes down to the same thing, except that oral k is introducing something other than breastmilk into your baby's digestive tract. I don't think the k itself is really that bad, but the carrier medium would be less than desirable. We'll go the injectable route if needed.

Re: swelling and chiro - I get adjusted almost every week now, and still have some swelling. Not masive swelling or anything, but it's definitely there. I guess the correlation would depend on where your kinks are in terms of how circulation to your feet would be affected. I'm a definite supporter of chiropractic care though, and think that even if it doesn't make a huge difference in your swelling, it would still be a worthwhile investment for your body overall!

It sounds so odd to hear you talking about summer, as all our leaves are blowing away and the wool hats and socks have definitely made an appearance in our house! I guess you're not going to be hibernating near the fire in a warm, cozy house with your newborn - you'll be sweating it out near a fan!

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Would alfalfa sprouts be good or not potent enough? I'm loving them just now. With almond butter. Might be a pregnancy thing, but my daughter likes it too.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
It is funny to think of it hot, as I wake up to our first substantial snowfall of the year...

I did vitamin K last time. But my son had 2 big bruises on his head from birth (looked like mickey mouse ears). Definitely seemed worth it in that case, and I don't think the risks of vitamin K are too high.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
I'm only doing the vitamin K if there's a reason (bruising, foreceps/vaccuum was needed, ect).
Yep, this is our stance as well. We did not have dd get it.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM

As far as swelling dandelion root has helped me tremendously, in addition to eating more protein than carbs.

HTH...

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 PM

For vit K, I eat kale several times a week.

For swelling, I see the chiro every other week and I've still gotten puffy feet a few times when I'm standing for a long time plus heat. Massage helps, if I can get DH to do it that is.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DDCC-

Sarah Wickham's articles on vit K were what got me thinking and pretty much convinced me not to do it with DS.

This time will be the same...no vit K. IF we have a traumatic birth (forceps, vacuum, long use of pitocin, or cesarean - all of which are unlikely as I'm going to a FSBC) then I will reevaluate the situation at that time.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 AM

I am away from my files right now but try googling "what controversy with Vitamin K?" It may be what smeep is referencing. It is sooo good that I made lots of copies and left them around the various RN and MD stations at work. I will not be doing Vitamin K. I just don't like the idea of ANYTHING being injected into my newborn. Big Pharma not for me. I, especially in a couple of weeks, will greatly work on increasing my vitamin K stores. The article does a good job of explaining. If you can't find send me a message and I will forward it to you. If you or anyone decide to do it have the RN do the injection while breastfeeding, I find babies cry A LOT less, if at all, when I do it this way. Not to be done under the radiant warmer, quite invasive, startling and traumatic.

Puffy feet. I agree with the inc. protein content, sometimes it can pull that fluid into the circulatory system to pee out. Dandelion Leaf is a safe diuretic and may help, Dandy root is more for liver. Drink as a tea, maybe mixed with raspberry leaf, alfalfa, nettles and oatstraw. That is the tea blend I make.Try to not wear tight socks and have periods of elevating feet over level of heart too. Good luck. Lots of good advice on this forum!!

Happy summer, it's due to rain all weekend here, leaves everywhere, scarves coming out and summer clothes been packed up for one month now!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 AM

I am upping my greens considerably, also for my own needs at birth. I do not want to be vit K deficient myself.
We tried to give DS the vit K drops and we kept messing it up and in the end he did not get them. I won't be giving vit K this time, unless there is a specific medical indication.

I have not had to deal with puffy feet personally, but the advice you have gotten so far sounds good. Make sure you are getting enough protein, fluids and rest with your feet up. Is your blood pressure 'normal'? and do you have pitting around your feet? Like if you poke with your finger, it leaves a dent in your skin?

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Same with what most people have said: we'll do the vit. K if it seems like the baby would need it from the delivery.

I've been going to see a chiropractor since week 16, and whether it is related or not, I have had zero swelling. At my appointment yesterday, the midiwfe said, "wow! nice ankles!"

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM

http://www.vaclib.org/basic/vitamin-k.htm

Here is a link to that article I referenced so everyone can take a look. When I read it I was like "finally, some solid info that is evidence based and not fear based disinformation!" Hope you find it useful.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Wow, I didn't know about the margarine thing. I just went out and bought some real butter wondering if it would taste better or something, I didn't margarine could impair vitamin K absorption! Listening to the baby at the grocery store can have its perks I guess (he also likes me to eat spinach and brussel sprouts).

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
Yep, what she said.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! Great advice. I am reading the abovementioned articles, very helpful. I won't have the vit K unless there is a problem, and i am still trying to work out what I will do.

And the bit of extra protein helped, I thought I was eating enough, but then I wrote everything down in terms of the Brewer Diet, and I was a bit low. Only tried it for 2 dys, but my ankles look good! Feet still sore, but that is to be expected with this weight gain lol. Thanks for your help!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM

So glad to hear protein helped!! That's awesome. I drink a Vega (can buy through Amazon) daily and that has helped my protein levels too. Soak up some Vitamin D for me down under. Could use some here in Pacific NW!!

Old 11-08-2010, 09:48 PM

My homebirth midwife puts her ladies on alfalfa tabs at 34 weeks to increase vit K stores. After the birth, however, alfalfa may give you too much milk, so beware.

User Tag List