36 week appt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really feel like I am almost there! I had my 36 week appointment with my midwife today and from here on out I'll see her every week. She checked my cervix today since I was already having the GBS test done, but she won't check it at the rest of my appointments unless asked.

Baby dropped 2 weeks ago (I think) and is now at -2 station, cervix is 80% effaced and 1 cm dilated. Probably doesn't mean anything at this point, but I feel closer anyway. I need to get to 37 weeks to be approved for the water birth, but after that I'm ready whenever my little guy is and hope it is sooner rather than later. I'll be almost 39 weeks during the full moon, so maybe then

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How exciting!

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Oh wow, I've never had any dilation or effacement before 40 weeks so maybe it won't be too long for you.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 11-04-2010, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm just hoping not to have to wait til 42!

Anyone else getting close or trying to make predictions about when their little one will arrive?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

YAY so happy for you

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010
Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 PM

too funny, BarefootGirl - i had my 36week appt today and my stats were EXACTLY the same!! well i forgot to ask abt teh station but i was 80% effaced, 1, 1.5cm dilated.

i totally freaked, lol!! i am hoping to make it at least until after thanksgiving since my mom will be taking off to spend a month with us (she lives across the country) and it would be awesome if she was here for the birth, if only to help wrangle our 2.5 yr old so we're stress free during the delivery.

i plan to lay down for the next three weeks if possible!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Oyinmama, don't worry too much! Everything I've been reading says that the stats don't really mean anything other than your body is getting ready. For example, we could walk around 3-4 cms dilated for weeks or be closed tight and go into active labor within hours.

But it still makes me hopeful that I won't be waiting past the EDD...

I asked about the station because I was pretty certain my little man dropped 2 weekends ago and wanted to confirm. When he first dropped, I felt sooo different and walking was difficult, but this week was easier. I wasn't sure if he'd bounced back up or if I had just gotten used to it, so I asked.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:57 AM

So many of us are starting to get really close. This IS exciting!!

Im towards the end of the DDC with another 6.5 weeks or so left, and I feel like thats so soon...so I cant imagine the excitement all you early December mamas are feeling!

We've almost made it!

Fiona Rose  stillheart.gif12.25.10stillheart.gif

Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 AM

That's great Barefootgirl!

I'm 36.5 weeks with twins and assume labour could start any day. I've never been checked so I don't know what's going on with my cervix but as you say that's doesn't always mean anything. I would really like to make to at least 37 weeks (4 more days!!).

I'm feeling well but I guess you can go into labour without a lot of notice or signs in advance??

2twins.gif Twin Girls on November 11, 2010
Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootGirl View Post
Oyinmama, don't worry too much! Everything I've been reading says that the stats don't really mean anything other than your body is getting ready. For example, we could walk around 3-4 cms dilated for weeks or be closed tight and go into active labor within hours.
thanks, i need all the anecdotal assurance i can get!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTC#1 View Post
I'm feeling well but I guess you can go into labour without a lot of notice or signs in advance??
yes definitely. w/my first it was the closed tight @ afternoon cervical check; in active labor 12 hours later situation.

does anyone else feel superstitious about the cervical checks? perhaps b/c of my last labor story, i have this feeling there is a correlation btw getting one and labor starting. i'm terrified to have any more!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
thanks, i need all the anecdotal assurance i can get!!

yes definitely. w/my first it was the closed tight @ afternoon cervical check; in active labor 12 hours later situation.

does anyone else feel superstitious about the cervical checks? perhaps b/c of my last labor story, i have this feeling there is a correlation btw getting one and labor starting. i'm terrified to have any more!
I had DD at 38 weeks to the day...was 1 cm at my 36 week check, then *NEARLY* 5 at my 37 week check (it was at 37w 4 days). You read that right- I walked around at 5 for a few days without feeling any *real* contractions. So it is definitely possible to be dilated for a while without going into labor.

And I DO think there is a correlation between cervical checks and labor- IF they are particularly deep and rough. I've known of a few obs/mws who are opposed to stripping membranes, but don't hesitate to give a rough cervical exam- and that can jump-start things for some women.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post
I had DD at 38 weeks to the day...was 1 cm at my 36 week check, then *NEARLY* 5 at my 37 week check (it was at 37w 4 days). You read that right- I walked around at 5 for a few days without feeling any *real* contractions. So it is definitely possible to be dilated for a while without going into labor.

Ack!
Stories like that make me feel I should get checked toward the end. I've never really been much beyond 1 or 2cm before labor, but I always go from 6/7 to 10 real fast, and I live an hour from the hospital. If I found out I was at 5, I'd want to start camping out in the parking lot!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

Old 11-07-2010, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ah, 36 weeks... to think in some places I'm now far enough along to have a homebirth! I don't feel ready yet though. I think I'm going to stop counting down to term (1 week) and start counting down to my due date (4 weeks). Then if I'm still not ready when I only have a week left until that I'll start counting down to 42 weeks and the end of term .

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

User Tag List