Huh?? Not yet!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so I've had some really weird 'Braxton Hicks' today. I'm trying to time them but since I don't feel the pressure in my stomach its a little harder. If I'm feeling any pain its down really low like I have to poop. I think I've had 5 or 6 nearly one on top of the other. As soon as my belly starts to soften again it tightens back up. This seriously can't be the beginning of labor, right?

I'm trying to use contractionmaster.com but it wants me to click when the contraction ends! There is no definite end! It just slowly softens back up until it clenches back down. Luckily they're not painful (except the pressure in my BUTT!!) but I'm not sure what to do. DH is still in California and I don't want to call my doula for a midnight false alarm. Should I try taking a shower and seeing if they go away?

Not counting them anymore but I *think* beginning to beginning might be 1.5-3 minutes. Oh I can't UC this baby at home.... please pass!!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#2 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 AM

Have you pooped lately? Any chance you are constipated? Any bloody show?

I say call the doula. You are paying for her support, and I assure you that you will not be the first mama to wake her up with concerns. Besides, it is Friday. She might be up anyway.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#3 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Not constipated, poop several times a day without too much trouble (just did about 20 minutes ago to see if it would help). No bloody show, no mucus plug. I just can't be in labor yet! Its too early and there's no way I can call DH...

#4 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 02:50 AM

Any chance you're dehydrated? Have you laid down and drank a quantity of water to see if that changes things?

Definitely call the doula. You need some support tonight.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#5 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

I'm trying the water right now. It might be helping but I can't tell. With no pain its harder to know what/when things are going on.

#6 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 03:28 AM

DDDC

Okay, mama, deep breath! Did the water help? Did you have less than your normal amount of water today? Do more lifting/walking/housework?

Have you tried a warm bath or shower? Having a glass of wine?

If you laid down and tried to sleep do you think you could? If so, I'd try that too. If it is labor you will.not sleep through it and you'll need as much rest as you can get. If it isn't labor you'll get some rest and that's a good thing.

Keep us posted (unless you are bathing/sleeping of course!)

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#7 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. I've been doing the bare minimum of housework the past two weeks.

I took a 10 minute bath and didn't really feel any (although with no pain I can't be sure I didn't have any) but they started right back up when I was out and dressed. I'm still drinking the water but I have most of a liter gone so far. I think I'm going to try laying down and if I can't sleep I'll call my doula (and hopefully I'll be feeling well enough to update if I leave for the hospital).

At least I had all the baby stuff ready weeks early! His daddy is just going to be upset if he has to miss the birth.

#8 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 03:42 AM

Okay, that is a good sign that you couldn't feel it in the bath! Hopefully you'll be able to get some sleep tonight. Hang in there!

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#9 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM

I hope you're feeling better now, or have called someone if you're not!

What you described sounds similar to what I once felt when I was pregnant with #4. I think I was closer to my EDD at the time, but I'm not entirely sure. For me, it felt very much like contractions that didn't really have a start or end time. They were painful enough to make me use some labor relaxation techniques.

In my case, I'm glad I headed to the living room and didn't wake dh. After about 30-45 minutes, I discovered that it had just been some REALLY blocked up gas! I felt better immediately.

Hoping that's the same case for you!!!!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#10 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

I'm good! I climbed in bed and passed right out. I was still a bit uncomfortable but not aware enough to think about it. Woke up twice to pee but they stopped. Hopefully they can stay stopped for the next 2 weeks so DH can get home in time!

Scratch that, now that I'm up and fully awake they're back (but not nearly as frequent). *sigh* At least they don't hurt. My dad says my mom had something like this for 3 weeks before I was finally born. As long as he can stay in until DH comes home and they aren't painful I think I'll be okay with it.

#11 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 01:21 PM

I'm glad you were able to get some sleep! It sounds like some practice contractions which are great for toning your uterus. When is your next midwife/OB appointment? They could check you and see if these practice waves are making changes. Just relax and stay well hydrated. You can do it!!!

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#12 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I see my OB again on Tuesday and get my first official cervical check... yay (not). Feels closed and long to me though. I wish my fingers were longer though, lol. I think they stopped again too.

#13 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM

My friend had 3 weeks of prodromal labor like that before her baby was born!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#14 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 05:49 PM

Yeah, if you are closed and long you aren't having "real" labor. Just practice waves and since they aren't making cervical changes just relax and enjoy your last few weeks!

Jenne

02/11/2011   

#15 of 20 Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 PM

I felt the same way for a month before DD was born. I had pretty hard, regular contractions the other night (so bad that I stayed up all night and timed them as they were 1 minute in duration and 10 minutes in between consistently). I had my nurse MW check me, which I never did with DD and did not plan to do this time either, and my cervix was closed but in her words "soft as butter." I am assuming this means that I am almost 100% effaced so the end is near for me as it is us all

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#16 of 20 Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM

That sounds exactly like what sent me to L&D, mama- I can totally relate.

I don't mind BH when they're a few times a day and only uncomfortable....but when they're that frequent and intense, it can be scary! I'll be interested to see how your appt goes- when I went in, cervix was totally high and closed (I believe "I'm in your tonsils" was the term my mw used). Be sure to update!

Just be sure you're drinking enough water, eating enough protein...and I always drink a bit of wine or beer when they get bad- definitely helps. Who doesn't love the idea of a nice bath with a little drink, anyway?

Also, are you drinking RRL? I do drink a lot, because I figure if I'm having this many BH, I might as well focus them a bit.

On the positive side, think of what a workout your uterus is getting! When the time comes, it'll be ready and know just what to do

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#17 of 20 Old 11-07-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Not drinking RRL. I was looking for it but could never find it and figured right now we had more important things to focus our finances on. They haven't started yet this morning an I've been up for 2 hours so maybe I won't get them again for a while. I have noticed though that since then I've been feeling really tender like I got kicked in the crotch (from the outside) or something. Walking is not fun and I'm hoping the GBS test and cervical check aren't going to be too painful.

#18 of 20 Old 11-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post
Not drinking RRL. I was looking for it but could never find it and figured right now we had more important things to focus our finances on. They haven't started yet this morning an I've been up for 2 hours so maybe I won't get them again for a while. I have noticed though that since then I've been feeling really tender like I got kicked in the crotch (from the outside) or something. Walking is not fun and I'm hoping the GBS test and cervical check aren't going to be too painful.
I'm sorry your feeling that way- has the baby dropped perhaps? That can definitely cause what you're describing. Don't worry about the GBS test- that's just a swab and shouldn't hurt at all. The cervical check shouldn't be anything above maybe uncomfortable, either.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#19 of 20 Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM

I know I sound like a broken record on this forum, but you may want to check for UTI as well, if you haven't done so yet. I had non-stop BHs (barely could tell one from the other) due to a UTI.
#20 of 20 Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

I had a kidney infection and I'm still on daily antibiotics for it until 6w PP.

I think I figured out what caused this whole thing though... there was a new moon!! Most of my family was born between the new and first quarter with the majority of them being born either on or immediately before/after the new moon. Hopefully the full moon on the 21st doesn't affect me too terribly (unless DH comes home a few days early) but the next new moon is exactly on my due date (December 5th).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page