flying 3000 miles at 35 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I need some advice... I know I kind of asked this a few months ago, about flying at 35 weeks. But THAT was about going to see my parents and hang out with them for a week or so, and the flight there is only 3 hours long. DH and I decided that we didn't want me to go on taht trip, that we didn't want to be that far away from each other that close to my EDD (even though it is 5 weeks from that, still...).

My grandma in Oregon just died, and I'm trying to decide whether to fly out there or not. We were not super close or anything, but I do have fond memories. It is over 3000 miles, and involves 8 hours in the air, plus layovers in airports (I'd have at least one) and then the night I get in, I would be on a 2 - 3 hour bus ride down to Salem. The next day would be the funeral. The day after that, I would reverse it all and take the bus up to the airport, and fly home complete with layovers, etc. DH can't come with me.

I really do want to go. I want to see my family, I want to support my mom. But the thought of sitting for that long, and having to haul my bags around, and imagining how my already painful pubic bone would feel afterward, just makes me cringe. I can't even really do lots of power walking at the airport while waiting because I injured my foot and have been walking with a limp for a week.

I'm waiting for my midwife to call me back, so hopefully I can discuss the risks and benefits from a more medical standpoint, but I was also hoping to get your advice...

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#2 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not even sure if the airlines would let you fly that late. I know the official policy for some of them is 36 weeks but other sources say the cut-off is 35 weeks. I'd personally be terrified at the thought of them letting me get on the plane out there... and then getting stranded.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM

I would send my sympathies in a card or donate money for flowers if they need that, and stay home. It sounds like way too much at this point in pregnancy.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

I just checked, and the Southwest Airline policy as stated on their website is allow women to fly up to 38 weeks... I think I'd get a note from the midwife just in case, though, if I do decide to go, saying I am "cleared" for air travel.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#5 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 03:24 PM

isn't there some issue with the cabin pressure not being good when you are so pregnant?

if i absolutely had to, i would go first class. those coach seats are small and the thought of sitting in one that long (as big and uncomfortable as i am right now) sounds like torture. plus, they are much kinder to you and get you whatever you need.

i feel for you-my husband's grandpa, who we have been fairly close with, is dying right now. we know the funeral will be sometime in the next week or so, but it is a 9 hour drive to get there. i am seriously considering staying home while my husband goes alone. at 36 weeks, i can barely stand to be in the car for maybe an hour or so, and then i just start hurting.

death is always so untimely!
my condolences.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#6 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 PM

I would stay home. As hard as that is, the type of travel you are describing sounds like absolute hell for me. I think most people would understand that you are not there, including your mom (at least I hope she would!).

Also, if you did go into labor from all that travel, your family would not be in the best frame of mind to help you and your husband would not be there as well.

I am sorry you are having to go through this right now

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#7 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM

We drove for 8 hours when I was about 35/36 weeks last year to Cincinnati for Thanksgiving. I would not fly that far though. And, as a PP said, most airlines will not let you fly.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#8 of 11 Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 PM

I agree with everyone else, stay home and send flowers and a card. Too risky. I don't think that air pressure difference is good for your bag of water, then having to take a bus for 3 hours? Yikes!!

So sorry you are having to go through this right now
Good luck with your decision.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#9 of 11 Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 AM

DDCC---depending on the airline the restrictions are different. for virgin, there are none basically. i'll be flying at 32 weeks, but it's a three hour flight and i overruled a layover...we paid money instead of using miles to forgo that. i agree with previous posters, it sounds like the trip would be miserable. if i were you i'd probably just stay home and send love.

sorry about your grandma. hugs.

ashley

Mama to  angel.gif(2/09) & angel.gif(6/09) & Phoenix Lucien 2/24/11 homebirth.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 11-09-2010, 04:00 AM

I just returned from a 3,000+ trip at precisely 34 weeks upon departure. LAX to JFK (L.A. to NYC) non-stop on Virgin America. I had to drink lots of water to keep from feeling dehydrated, the last 45 minutes of both flights were the longest portions of the flights.
I peed at least 7 times each way. My ankles did swell up a bit.
I saw my midwife the day before the flight and my visit included an ultrasound, baby is breech. I was cleared to fly unrestricted up until 11/14/10.
I scheduled an acupuncture appointment while on my biz trip to NYC to get the process going on getting the baby to move head down.
Also had a chiro appointment schedule for Monday morning (I had returned on Saturday night).
The jet lag in combination with the time change made for a brutal Sunday. My mom hosted a baby shower for me in the afternoon.

I think I would've preferred a lay over to give my poor body a break.
Anyhow, it sounds like you've made up your mind to stay put.
Just know it is possible but not the best trip. The destination and purpose of the trip trumped the discomfort of the flying for me.
This doesn't seem to be the case for you and could make you more miserable.

-V
#11 of 11 Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

I got a hold of my midiwfe yesterday, and she said ACOG clears flying till 36 weeks.  Then I told her how far it was going to be, and how long I would be sitting down for, and she didn't say absolutely not, but she did say she really, really didn't recommend going.  Since that aligns with what DH and I were thinking and wanting, I won't be going to OR.  Thanks for all your thoughts and replies!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page