Spotlight on ~ *owlgirl*! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The basics....
give us your name, where you live, your age, how many kids you already have, when you're due (whatever you’re comfortable with!)

What is your favorite food?

Do you own any pets? What are they and what are their names?

What's your favorite baby thing so far (that you've purchased or had given to you)?

Do you like to read? What kinds of books?

What's your favorite thing about being pregnant?

Least favorite?

And now, everyone feel free to jump in with your own questions!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#2 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 06:26 AM

The basics....
give us your name, where you live, your age, how many kids you already have, when you're due

My name is Alisa. This will be our first child. I had a miscarriage over 10 years ago. I am newly 35, what a trip to be in my mid-thirties, I love it though and would have it no other way. I live in a small town about one hour SE of Portland, population like 10,000. I have lived here for almost 3 years and came from Sonoma County California. I have moved around a lot for colleges and just exploring but am settling down now. We have come to learn we don't want to stay here to raise our family so plan on moving, yet again, in a couple years. Always searching for 'home'. Came here to get out of Cali which was getting so expensive. I found an awesome job here and have been here ever since. My partner is an artist and works from home so that really helps.

What is your favorite food?

Anything healthy and homemade. Preferably vegetarian. I love food that makes you feel good after eating. We eat a lot of soup these days. I have a minnestrone in the fridge and will make Tom Ka Gai later. My partner is Celiac, so no gluten here. This limits our eating out experiences. We prefer to stay in and cook. I love nearly all food, maybe not German or Chinese so much. Yay for Japanese, Thai, Indian, Mexican, Lebanese, Ethiopian, Vegan and Raw.

Do you own any pets? What are they and what are their names?

We have one cat named Cherise, after the GD song Reuben and Cherise. We got her from the Humane Society last Halloween when she was 4 months. She is indoor only and we love her so much!!

What's your favorite baby thing so far (that you've purchased or had given to you)?
That is not an easy ?. Several...some amazing homemade blankets various family and friends made. The new Performance Ergo carrier with infant insert was a great gift, along with a sheepskin rug thing for baby. We bought an awesome chest of drawers that is old so made with real wood and the top rolls back to reveal a changing table. It's really cool. Of course the cloth diapers!

Do you like to read? What kinds of books?

Oh yes I read. I am kinda an info junkie. I usually have 4 nonfictions and one fiction going at a time. I am a certified birth junkie and have been reading everything about it for over 10 years. I read a lot about alternative medicine, energy medicine, herbal medicine, aromatherapy, ethnobotany, shamanism, spiritual and eastern religions. I just finished Graham Hancock's first fiction book, he usually writes nonfiction about alternative archeology, a subject I just discovered last year that is super amazing! I am currently reading 2 books on vaccinations, birthing from within and a book on optimal fetal positioning. No fiction right now. Too much nesting to do!

What's your favorite thing about being pregnant?
Hands down watching my belly grow! Feeling the baby swim around, stretching out an arm or leg, wiggling their butt. I have a mellow kid in there no real kicks or sharp pains d/t movement.

Least favorite?
The frequency of peeing. I really hate it!!  The heartburn that I have been experiencing this week too!

And now, everyone feel free to jump in with your own questions!

Yeah!! This is fun!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#3 of 5 Old 11-10-2010, 04:20 PM

How did you meet your partner?

What are you most looking forward to about being a mom? What scares you?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#4 of 5 Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM

How did you meet your partner?

Long story somewhat short.....Valentine's night we happened to be at the same restaurant. He was getting a hard time from his friends b/c he was single and hadn't dated for a long time, lived 2 hours away on 100+ acres and wasn't super social. He was defending himself saying how he believes it will just happen with the right woman and he doesn't need to exert a bunch of energy socially trying to 'find' someone. Irritated he excused himself to go to the bathroom. My friend and I were sitting at the bar having a cocktail, our annual valentine's date together, and waiting for our friend who was waitressing to get off work.  As he stood up she said "Alisa, that's your man!"  Since he was flustered he didn't take the path that lead to the bathroom but rather wove between tables which dead ended at me. The rest is history! Here we are almost 7 years later!

What are you most looking forward to about being a mom? What scares you?

Sharing my love and knowledge of life and the natural world with a little one. Hiking in nature and teaching plant identification, wildcrafting and making herbal medicine together, birding, cooking and all the stuff I wish my mother did with me that I had to discover as an adult. What scares me is having a special needs child.

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#5 of 5 Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM

Hi Alisa!

What you want to teach sounds amazing!  You will be an awesome mom!  It scares me too, having a special needs child. Thanks for sharing your story, you were fun to read.  You sound like a really interesting person (maybe I say that 'cause you have similar interests to mine lol...)  No really you do, your kiddy will be super lucky to have an inspiring "info junkie" mom!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page