crampy and contractions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So this is my first pregnancy and everything is new for me.  I'm 37 weeks today.  I've been having braxton hicks contractions for weeks now.  My belly gets hard and tight starting at the top, spreads downwards a bit, lasts about 30 sec to a minute and then goes away.  It's a little weird feeling, but hasn't been painful at all.  Sometimes I'll have a few close together but then wont have another for hours.  I haven't at any point felt like they were anything close to the "real" thing.

Now the past few days I've been feeling something else occasionally in addition to the BH contractions.  It feels more like menstrual crampiness, is much lower, and is a little painful.  Is this also a prelabor sign or is that just the pressure of the baby's head?  He made a significant drop 2.5 weeks ago and was at -2 station last Thursday so maybe he's just moved down a bit more? 

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm not so great in the contraction department but have you been having any other signs (mucus plug, bloody show, ect)?  It might just be his head or something.  I know I've been getting a heck of a lot more gas too...

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Usually for me I don't get the crampy part until close to labor smile.gif My first was born at 36 weeks and 5 days.. Never thought I would go early with her as I was small and didn't drop much at all!  

So it could be anyday for you now!!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#4 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

No bloody show or mucus plug yet.  I did get checked on Thurs and was 80% effaced and 1 cm dilated.  I keep trying to tell myself that I could still have weeks to go, but of course since I've never been in labor before I am analyzing every little sign/symptom. 

This reminds me of the two week wait when I was trying to conceive...  I wanted something to tell me YES or NO right away, but all I could do was wait it out til I was far enough past ovulation to test.

#5 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 11:40 AM

Well I was 1.5 cm dilated and 75% effaced as of yesterday (pretty close to you) and don't feel like I'm going to go into labor anytime soon!  Just try to remember that the average FTM doesn't have her baby until 41w1d.  Be prepared to go earlier but try not to expect anything until then.  I'm really trying to prepare for that scenario!

ps: I started testing at 8 DPO but didn't use a FRER until 10 DPO, when I got my +!

#6 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM

I am 36 weeks today and this is my second baby. Just in the last week and a half I have started having the same crampiness you describe and I had it with DD too. I would say that it is because the baby dropped (my little guy has too) and that it does not necessarily mean you will have the baby before 40 weeks. I felt this same feeling for about 3-4 weeks before I had DD and she was born at exactly 40 weeks.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#7 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

So my crampiness has turned into more painful stronger cramps tonight, but I haven't decided if it IS anything yet.  It could be that I spent the last couple hours cleaning and I need to just chill out for awhile.  I'm hoping to make 39 weeks, but would prefer to not have to go past 40.  But I guess I have to be prepared for anything!  Little guy will be here when he's ready, right?

#8 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Well I hope you either start feeling better or make some progress.  I haven't felt really much of anything since my little 'episode' right after the new moon.  It still feels so early to have December babies showing up but if he's ready then he's ready!

#9 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

eh, I don't think he's coming tonight.  I've had a bunch of contractions, but nothing consistent.  I was talking to a friend today and she didn't feel anything at all til she actually went into labor.  On the one hand, it would be nice to not obsess over every little twinge, but then on the other hand if nothing at all was happening I might feel like I was never going to get there. 

I'm wondering how the moon affects things...  there's a full moon on the 21st.  It will be interesting to see if any of us react ;-) 

#10 of 17 Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM

i have been cramping so bad all day today-i did a bit yesterday as well, but only for an hour or so. i don't remember all this crampiness with my first pregnancy, but i do remember being so uncomfortable, hurting to move, bad back pain and pressure-all the things i am starting to feel now. but this cramping has me thrown for a loop. not sure what to think. i am just 36 weeks. also, i feel like i have to go #2, probably all the pressure from baby?, but really i don't have to go.

no contractions for me yet, that i know for sure. and no mucous or bloody show either.

i will say this, with my first, when i went into labor with real contractions (at almost 41 weeks), i immediately knew. there was no questioning it. and it was several weeks of slow dilation, up to 3-4cm, before i really went into labor. i had several instances of mucous and blood over 2 weeks before labor as well. so, for me, i am questioning if these cramps are just part of the build up, over the next few weeks, into labor. if so, i hope they let up a bit so i can get some stuff done and be more present for my 2 year old.

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#11 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersmama View Post

also, i feel like i have to go #2, probably all the pressure from baby?, but really i don't have to go.

I've been having that too.  Mine is like a cross between pressure and pain.  It woke me up more times last night than my bladder.  I figured out though that if I take a warm bath sometimes its enough to relax the muscles into moving things so I can 'go' and it temporarily relieves the pressure.  Too bad it doesn't last all day though.  Maybe having less to press against makes his position a little more comfortable.

#12 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 08:22 AM

I think our EDD's (mine is Nov 30) are really close barefootgirl. I dropped about 2.5 weeks ago, have been having BH, and now get that crampy feeling really low too. DD was induced and came at 42 weeks, but I hope this little guy wants to come a little earlier. It is hard to concentrate on much knowing you could have a baby today or in 5 weeks. No wonder I feel like I have half a brain these days! Keep us posted on how you are feeling and good luck!

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

#13 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 03:20 PM

Last time, I had NO sign of labor.  Nothing.  Nada.  It was awful.  At least I have had a few BH this time so I am excited.  Since I have about 2.5 weeks before I can actually birth at home (I need to be 36 weeks minimum), I am glad there is nothing going on.  BTW, DS was born at 40w+1d (but I was in labor early on his EDD).

Rest, rest, rest.  Get everything ready and just RELAX.  I so wish I had last time.  This time, I am feeling a lot more laid back (but then again, I have a TON of stuff to get done before this baby gets here!). 

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#14 of 17 Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

runkin, my EDD is Dec 1 so just one day behind yours.  I had originally thought about joining the Nov DDC, but decided I didn't want to be one of the last to birth...especially if I make it to 42 weeks which would be mid Dec for me!  I do still lurk in Nov some.

#15 of 17 Old 11-12-2010, 10:58 AM

I've gone all the way up to this point thinking he's going to be as late as possible.  Now I'm not so sure.  I'd rather assume late and get early but I can feel things non-specifically getting 'ready'.  I'm not sleeping as soundly, I can feel weird pressures in my pelvis and cervix, and the baby seems really restless too.  There isn't a sense of urgency yet but its like an internal light switch was flipped telling me its time to start getting everything ready.  I emptied out and repacked my hospital bag just because I felt like I had to do something.  I'm hoping I'm not the first one to have their baby but I hope he doesn't make me wait in suspense too long either!

#16 of 17 Old 11-13-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

I've gone all the way up to this point thinking he's going to be as late as possible.  Now I'm not so sure.  I'd rather assume late and get early but I can feel things non-specifically getting 'ready'.  I'm not sleeping as soundly, I can feel weird pressures in my pelvis and cervix, and the baby seems really restless too.  There isn't a sense of urgency yet but its like an internal light switch was flipped telling me its time to start getting everything ready.  I emptied out and repacked my hospital bag just because I felt like I had to do something.  I'm hoping I'm not the first one to have their baby but I hope he doesn't make me wait in suspense too long either!

I feel that way too.  Before the baby dropped (at 34 weeks) I was pretty much fine and ready to go to 42 weeks if necessary.  But then baby dropped and it was like a switch flipped.  All of a sudden I was SO much more uncomfortable and impatient.  I'm getting a lot of weird painful cervix bumps when baby moves around which are not fun and make me hopeful that he's getting ready to head out.

#17 of 17 Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 PM

I've also started leaking colostrum a lot more.  Before I had to massage my breast some to get it out.  Now it'll come out if I just slightly hold behind the nipple!  Of course its not too bad with a padded bra because its not enough to leak through but I do get dried yellow spots on the inside quite easily.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page