More freezer food ideas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I added zucchine chocolate chip spice cake to the freezer and need more ideas. I'm thinking a breakfast casserole-one for thanksgiving and one for after baby.  Any suggestions? I need non-dairy casserole ideas since DD is allergic.

#2 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 03:02 PM

DDCC

We do a lot of soups regularly, so we are working on restocking them (we do chili, minestrone, black bean, lentil, split pea, french onion, sweet potato-squash).  We also do pancakes and waffles, bread, various muffins...

There are 2 threads you should check out:

Feed the freezer recipes

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/522096/feed-the-freezer-recipes

And

Post your favorite crockpot recipe

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/237665/post-your-fave-crockpot-recipe

We do a lot in our crock pot, and then we jar up things in individual or smaller portions, and freeze.  We use glass salsa jars, peanut butter jars, jelly jars, etc. to do so.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM

BTW- would LOVE the recipe for the zucchini chocolate chip spice cake!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#4 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post

BTW- would LOVE the recipe for the zucchini chocolate chip spice cake!

check out allrecipes.com (zucchini spice cake)- I used half the sugar and added chocolate chips....yum

#5 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 01:44 PM

When do you mamas find the time to do all this cooking and freezing? Partly I am dealing with lack of motivation since I don't enjoy cooking, but also I have a hard time getting much cooking done with 3 year old DS around. He helps a little bit, and I keep meals pretty simple, but I can't imagine how to get my freezer stocked with a bunch of food and get all that cooking done with him around, any cooking where I have to take my time and follow a recipe seems unlikely to happen.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#6 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Here's a good one from Mothering.  It is al ittle bland so I'll add more spices or some cranberries next time, but it was good and had a really nice texture.  It makes a very odd batter though, so just trust it! :)

My 2 yo LOVE to cook with me so we've been baking quite a bit.  I'm going to make a huge batch of banana bread this afternoon to put away and I did pumpkin bread last week. 

I'm also starting to make double dinners and pack half of it to the freezer so hopfully I'll get some actual meals stock piled before too long!  I'm also buying meat when its on a good sale and tossing it in too so when there are those days of oh crap we don't have food in the house, at least I can toss a chicken in the oven and serve it with some minute brown rice and frozen broccoli or something.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#7 of 7 Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Time Mama View Post

When do you mamas find the time to do all this cooking and freezing? Partly I am dealing with lack of motivation since I don't enjoy cooking, but also I have a hard time getting much cooking done with 3 year old DS around. He helps a little bit, and I keep meals pretty simple, but I can't imagine how to get my freezer stocked with a bunch of food and get all that cooking done with him around, any cooking where I have to take my time and follow a recipe seems unlikely to happen.

I've been making two of everything and freezing one.  This week I have shepherd's pie planned using this really easy recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/shepherds-pie

Last week was french bread pizzas, turkey meatloaf and chicken pot pie.  It didn't really take me much longer to make double than just making one.

and whenever we have spaghetti or something with ground meat like tacos, I cook 2 lbs instead of one and separate and freeze half of it to add to spaghetti sauce later for an easy meal.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page