I put up the Cmas lights - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really want to have a festive atmosphere for this kiddo, so I want to get things started early. I -- I mean, dh -- put up some Cmas lights today. We did window outlines. The icicle lights will go up next weekend. We're getting the tree the day after Thanksgiving and decorating it that day. I'm excited for the holidays but holy cow!-- less than 4 weeks til my EDD. (To which my dh replied, "So, only six weeks to go!" SNORT)

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#2 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM

I'm still not sure but I'm leaning toward decorating just for pictures.  Would you buy and wrap presents for a newborn?  What would I even buy him?  ROTFLMAO.gif

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 bouncy.gif   Pregnant with #2, hoping for a  stork-girl.gif 

#3 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM

I might actually buy and wrap presents for my baby - only because I KNOW my MIL will do so and I'd rather her not get to do EVERYTHING for him first.  But really, she's probably already beat me to it.  I would bet good money that she's already got presents wrapped for him and if not now, she'll definitely have it done before Thanksgiving.  She's just that way.  She thinks of everything, then thinks of how to make it even MORE special.  Sometimes it's cute, but generally it is just plain ridiculous.  But she means well.

I do really really want to get some stockings for myself, DH, and baby Haven and have our names embroidered on them.  DH and I have never (in 5 years of marriage, 8 years of togetherness) had a Christmas to ourselves - we are always traveling to visit family - and I'm excited we'll have an excuse to stay home this year.  I would love to be able to start some of our own traditions and spend time together without all the crazy family stuff.  I really want to get a tree and decorate, but I doubt it will actually happen.  DH doesn't want to mess with a tree cause we have a bunch of cats so we're not sure it would work.  I'm okay with having just a tree with nothing on it, or putting only non-breakable ornaments on it in case the cats climb it.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#4 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 08:03 PM

I'm SO ready to put up the tree!  That would mean I really have to get to the nesting and declutter!  We've been listening to Christmas music all weekend.  It's TIME!  :)

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#5 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 AM

Tree's up over here! There's no WAY I'd get to it later, so I decided "meh! screw it! I'm doin' it" smile.gif

Jamie from Indiana, , Baby #1- Nolan Michael born December 9th, 2010
#6 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 AM

Dh already has decorating on his mind.  I never should have let him go to the storage unit! ;-p

Usually, I prefer to decorate no more than 2 weeks before Christmas, and take it all down right after the new year starts.  Holiday decorations make me feel all cluttery, and they start to look disheveled after a while.  Dh prefers a longer season and, since he has to do most of the work this year, I guess he'll get his way!

This will be the first year we use an artificial tree.  Our house gets very dry and, with all of the baby craziness, watering the tree could easily fall by the wayside and cause a mess and a fire hazzard. I've never had a fake tree in my entire life, so it's a bit of a disappointment, but it seems so much less stressful.

I haven't done any shopping at all, and really need to get on that.  Gifts for the baby will mostly be boring.  Maybe a few cute cloth diapers, a couple of outfits, and I'm sure the kids will want to pick out a toy or two he won't be able to use for months.  I'd skip most of that if it was just him, but the other kids would be devistated if there weren't baby presents under the tree. @@

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#7 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 03:53 AM

We will decorate for Christmas the first Sunday of Advent, which this year, is the first Sunday after Thanksgiving.  We just have one box of Christmas decorations, so it's not too much, though we'll put lights in the front window, too.  We buy a potted plant to use as a Christmas tree, so I think we'll pick that up from Home Depot on the way home from church that day!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#8 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 06:54 AM

We bought our holiday tree (we enjoy Christmas and Hanukkah) just this week and plan on putting it up the week of Thanksgiving while dh is off. We don't decorate heavily but I'm looking forward to making things festive. Nothing like laboring in the glow of little twinkle lights! :love

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#9 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 07:50 AM

We just got out all the christmas decorations, which is early for us, but I am just excited about it this year. DD is 2 and started to really get into the whole santa/rudolf/frosty thing, which is fun. We are going to get a tree next week when dh is officially off. He likes to be off a bit before my EDD and several weeks after baby comes. I like it too. It will be fun hanging around and getting ready for the holidays!

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

#10 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 AM

We got our lights up yesterday too! The neighbors thought we were crazy hehe. But I don't know when this baby will come and how much energy I'll have to do it a couple weeks from now. Plus we're all excited to get into the spirit, and I have a vision of laboring with Christmas lights and decorations up, so up they went. We don't have the inside decorated yet, just the outside ligths, and we still have to put up our reindeer and outdoor tree too. I'm hoping to start wrapping presents soon too, so I don't have to stay up late and do it with a newborn while I'm sleep deprived and needing to breastfeed every 30 mins.  It would be nice to have it done.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#11 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 AM

We had a perfect weekend for outdoor Christmas decorating. Unfortunately, our dining room furniture is in the garage blocking the pull down steps for the attic.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#12 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking about decorating already.  I'm going to force myself to wait until after Thanksgiving which is still way early for us.  I'm really excited to go get our tree and get it up.  

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#13 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 01:40 PM

I really want to decorate for xmas this year. Xmas is my favorite holiday and I am really excited to start encorparating some of the traditions I grew up with into our family christmases. We also have never had a xmas to ourselves as our own little family because we have always gone to visit parents and ILs and done xmas with them. I am sure we will keep xmas low key, but I would really like a tree (and I have been imagining laboring to the twinkling xmas tree lights) and I would like to do stockings and presents for DS. I don't think the baby needs anything, and we can't really afford to give presents to family members. I would also like to do stocking stuffers for the three of us. And maybe bake cookies. I am hoping to get the tree Thanksgiving week. We don't have any Thanksgiving day plans, because Dh has to study for his finals, which are the next week, and I am not sure I want to travel and be around a big group of people this close to having my baby, especially since DH can't join us anyway. So we will have a quiet Thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page