Appointment Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Since some of us are starting to go weekly now I figured I'd start a new appointment thread!

My 37w appointment

BP is good (103/60 I think), didn't even look at my weight but he said it was okay.

GBS results came back... NEGATIVE!!  Woo woo!  Now I feel better about laboring as much as possible at home.

Cervix... no change.  Still 1.5 cm and about 75% effaced but I think he had to reach higher for it.

Next appointment is November 24th.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm still going every 2 weeks (and will until the end), but just had my 35 week appointment.  No weight done today since my midwife just squeezed me in because she had to reschedule, but BP was fine.  I'm measuring 38 weeks though and she doesn't think I'll make it to my due date.  I really didn't think I would either since I'm feeling so much pressure at this point, but to hear her say that really freaked me out!

Next appt is Dec 2nd.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

Old 11-16-2010, 02:11 PM

36 week appt this morning

-baby is transverse

- ECV is scheduled for Tuesday, 11/22

Chiro appt tomorrow morning

Doula and chiro appt on Monday 11/21

Hopefully my 2 chiro appts and doula appt will make a dent and no ECV will be needed on Tuesday 11/22

Ultrasound and mw appt on 11/30

-If he is still transverse, another ECV will be done and I will be induced at 39 weeks

Sigh...

Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 PM

had a great apt today

got my binder with all my infor into

got my dates for when safe to have baby at home

dec 2-jan 6

now i need to get stuff of my birthing kit

not sure about the water birht becuse i do not have 200 to rent the birthing tabe

head is down for now

but going for u/s next week to make sure

then week after that is home visit

YAYAYYAYY

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010
Old 11-16-2010, 04:25 PM

had my 34 week appt. BP is great, baby is head down and measuring at 36cm. MW said babe is around 5lbs now. banana.gif

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
Old 11-16-2010, 05:41 PM

My 34 week appt was scheduled for the 18, but I realized that was the day we are processing turkeys for thanksgiving, so I changed it to the 19.  I have an appt for an ultrasound on Dec 8.  That will be the day I find out if I will be having a c-section or if I can go for a vaginal birth.  I had placenta previa and since 28 weeks the placenta has only been sitting at 7mm from the Cervix opening.  It was still there at 32 weeks.  If it isn't at least 2cm away by 37 weeks I'll have a section at 39 weeks.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:04 PM

My 36 week appt is tomorrow - I'll be going every week from now on...I'm excited to find out if there's any effacement/dilation yet - even though this is baby #2 for me, it's my first time going through labor since DD had to be delivered via c-section at 35 weeks. So it's all new to me!

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM

My 36-week appointment is tomorrow- I'll be 37 weeks on Saturday. I am hoping to see some change, because I've been having prodromal labor off and on- my body seems to be particularly sensitive to breastfeeding lately. Anyway, I'll update tomorrow. So excited that we're getting so close to the end! 

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 11-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Just got back from my 36 week appt (well, technically I'm 35w6d). Had GBS and cervical check. I'm 1 cm dilated and 50% effaced. After the exam, I felt a gush of blood, which was pretty scary. DH was there and it definitely scared him, too! I am on blood thinners so I tend to bleed more easily than normal, but it still threw me for a loop. My midwife wasn't concerned, she just said I should call her if I experience more bleeding or if I haven't stopped spotting by tomorrow.

More than the bleeding, I'm feeling concerned about my reaction to it - I mean, if I get freaked out by bleeding after a cervical exam, how am I going to handle everything that comes with labor and delivery? I guess it will be different since this was a complete surprise - I wasn't expecting to start bleeding from an exam, whereas I know there will be some blood involved when the baby comes...does that make sense?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:48 PM

I have to go every week now.  I just had my appt at 34w5d.  Everything is great.  My BP is actually a lot lower now than it was in the 1T.  It was 110/70 IIRC.  Next week I get the GBS swab.  Just 4 more OB appointments!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 PM

I've had a pretty laissez-faire history of appointments -- I'm having a homebirth but my midwife said I'm calling the shots on how frequently I have appts with her. Between the Ob I see occasionally and getting iron infusions for the entire month of October, I've had my vitals taken enough lately. I've gained about 40lbs, bp is nice and low, and baby sounds good. Not doing any testing, just getting my hemoglobin every couple weeks. As of Saturday I'm full-term enough for a homebirth -- but I've never gone early so I don't expect to have Tax Deduction before mid-December. 

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 11-18-2010, 05:23 AM

Had my 36w appointment yesterday...technically 36w4d.

We did the GBS test (should find out on Sunday) and she checked me because of all this prodromal labor I've been having...and my cervix, although soft, is still VERY posterior and closed. BOOOOOOOOO! I really wanted a *little* encouragement after all this, you know? Anyway, mw was very positive- reminded me that with non-FTM, things can happen very fast, and this doesn't mean I still might go around 38 weeks like before.

BP is still good, I'm up 15 lbs now for weight gain- they'd like to see a few more, but I'm already eating constantly, soo...

The best news??

Turns out my that my MW didn't actually "slip" with the gender per the thread a couple weeks ago. I got up the courage to confront her about it, and she was really upset that I thought she would do that. Apparently, according to her, even she doesn't know- that's her policy with "surprise" patients. I don't know that I 100% buy it- why else would she make a comment about baby's bp- but I'm soooo happy that we can go back to not knowing for sure. She says she just likes to use "he/him" consistently instead of "it"- thanks for letting me know in advance, lady. I feel so happy, though- here's to wonderful surprises! 

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
Old 11-19-2010, 09:15 AM

I just had my 36-week appointment. Blood pressure and urine were fine, weight was okay (although I am up 40 pounds total so far, but I put on most of that in the first and second trimesters), and I had my GBS test, which was totally not as unpleasant as I thought it was going to be. She did a cervical check since she was in there anyway--no dilation at all, but my cervix is soft. I wasn't really concerned about that one way or the other and I don't plan on getting any more checks before labor.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM

That is fantastic news about the sex of the baby still being a surprise! My midwife also refers to the baby as a 'him', even though no one knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post

Had my 36w appointment yesterday...technically 36w4d.

We did the GBS test (should find out on Sunday) and she checked me because of all this prodromal labor I've been having...and my cervix, although soft, is still VERY posterior and closed. BOOOOOOOOO! I really wanted a *little* encouragement after all this, you know? Anyway, mw was very positive- reminded me that with non-FTM, things can happen very fast, and this doesn't mean I still might go around 38 weeks like before.

BP is still good, I'm up 15 lbs now for weight gain- they'd like to see a few more, but I'm already eating constantly, soo...

The best news??

Turns out my that my MW didn't actually "slip" with the gender per the thread a couple weeks ago. I got up the courage to confront her about it, and she was really upset that I thought she would do that. Apparently, according to her, even she doesn't know- that's her policy with "surprise" patients. I don't know that I 100% buy it- why else would she make a comment about baby's bp- but I'm soooo happy that we can go back to not knowing for sure. She says she just likes to use "he/him" consistently instead of "it"- thanks for letting me know in advance, lady. I feel so happy, though- here's to wonderful surprises! 

I had a 36 week appointment a couple of days ago. My blood pressure is also good, 110/70.  Baby is vertex. My midwife estimated the baby to be about 2.3 kg (5 lbs) a week prior to the U/S. At the ultrasound they estimated 3.2 kg (7 lbs). I think my midwife will probably be more accurate than the U/S. With DS they kept saying he would be a giant at over 4kg's (9 lbs), and in the end he was 3.5 kg (7.7lbs). I have gained about 25 lbs, which is fine by me. If I get up to 30 - 35 that is also fine by me. I was loosing for a while with all the vomiting, so yeah, I would have gained more if I had not been ill.

GBS is not routine here, and I tested negative with my prior delivery. Apparently that means it will not be an issue this time. Anyhoo, no GBS this time around.

This is so exciting that we are getting so close. I am getting more and more excited for the babies to start coming, and in particular for my baby to make his/her appearance.

Off to have my blood tests next week for Hb, ferritin, TSH, vit D and B12.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
Old 11-19-2010, 09:52 AM

I had my 37 week appt today, everything is good and MW confirmed that he's back to being head-down so that's good. I did my GBS test too. The MW also said some encouraging things about DD being at the birth, we had brought her to the last appointment to get to know the MW a little better and I expressed that I hoped DD would be ok at the birth and she said she thought DD would be awesome at the birth. YAY!!

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Old 11-19-2010, 12:09 PM

I'm officially 38 weeks today, but had my last appt last monday and will have one again next monday. GBS is negative and all is good. My BP is about right, it's crept up a little, but nothing out of normal. I"m at about 33-35 lb gain. I'm still feeling pretty good, so no complaints. My EDD is two weeks from today, but he'll probably be longer than that, so I'm trying not to countdown. I feel like I have this week for sure (until after Thanksgiving) and then after that, every day will be what it is. But, no complaints really, we got the house nice and clean most everything is set up. I'm just looking forward to two extra days off next week.

I also have a job interview on Tuesday... we'll see how that goes.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Just got back from my midwife appointment.  34weeks 3 days  She said what I was fearing, she will be very surprised if my placenta moves enough to have a vagional delivery.  So I guess I better get writing this c-section birth plan.  I will have my next appt and an U?s on Dec 7.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 PM

I'm sorry, mama!  I hope you still get a great birth experience even though it's not what you'd originally wanted.  ((HUGS))

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinzoo View Post

Just got back from my midwife appointment.  34weeks 3 days  She said what I was fearing, she will be very surprised if my placenta moves enough to have a vagional delivery.  So I guess I better get writing this c-section birth plan.  I will have my next appt and an U?s on Dec 7.

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
Old 11-22-2010, 07:45 PM

I had my 36wk Home Visit today.  All went really well.  Baby is REALLY low in my pelvis (apprentice actually said, "Wow.  Do you feel like you're walking around with a baby in your vagina?"  LOL!  BP is good.  My iron is really low which makes a lot of sense in hindsight.  I'm to start taking Liquid Chloraphil tomorrow for that.  And now we just wait for a baby.  :) 

On a side note, I've never been big on cervical checks but for some reason today I really wish I'd been checked.  I know it has no real stock in how soon (or far) labor is, but I just want to know if I'm progressing.  But, whatever.  She didn't offer and I didn't ask. 

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Had my 36w today and had the GBS. Thought I might get a cervical check at the same time but didn't, and that's fine. I was really crampy last night, felt like there was something going on. Found baby's HB super low today. Monday I'm starting EPO. Can't believe I'll be full term in a week!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 11-23-2010, 01:36 PM

37 week check-up today - GBS results were negative, yay! BP is good so midwives aren't concerned about my swelling. My iron levels are very low so I'm going to start supplementing today. All in all, a great check-up...so c'mon, baby!

Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Had my 36 week appointment yesterday, before my midwife went out of town for Thanksgiving. I declined the GBS test, I think I'm going to do Hibiclens and grapefruit seed extract as a prophylactic measure instead. All is well -- baby is still head down, positioned LOA as it has been for the last month or so. Fundal height measured at 37, heartrate in the 130s, my blood pressure was the norm for me (low), and my urine test was the same as it always is -- traces of proteins and not drinking enough water!

I bought EPO at Whole Foods the other day, I think in gel capsule form. When do you guys start using it? I imagine not before term, so not until I hit 37 weeks? I know my midwife told me but I don't remember... and if you were going to actually apply it to the cervix, do you buy it in some other form, or just pop the gel capsule and put it on your finger?

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 PM

36w4d today

I had my GBS test (ew) which was interesting because all my kids were there. I had the option of doing it myself but had serious concerns about being able to find or reach my own butt. redface.gif Baby is in a good position (LOT). Normally when I'm pregnant I don't see any swelling whatsoever and my blood pressure stays at about 118/76 the entire time. This time my feet are fairly swollen and my blood pressure has gotten as high as 147/80, and today there was protein in my urine, so the midwife is testing for toxemia. I think it's more of a "just in case" thing than anything else but I'm still a little nervous. I'm not excited about the prospect of collecting 24 hours worth of urine, either, for what it's worth. I had to get blood drawn today, which I decided is a good reason to reward myself with yarn. I bought this rainbow-dyed yarn from a friend of mine and am going to start making a Baby Surprise Jacket with it over the Thanksgiving weekend. 

The baby is doing fine, though. Her heartbeat was nice and strong and she wiggled all over the place while the midwives tried to determine her position, just like always. I can't wait to meet her, it is getting so close and so real!

Next week is my home visit. I'll be full-term on Friday, woohoo!!!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesoup View Post

I bought EPO at Whole Foods the other day, I think in gel capsule form. When do you guys start using it? I imagine not before term, so not until I hit 37 weeks? I know my midwife told me but I don't remember... and if you were going to actually apply it to the cervix, do you buy it in some other form, or just pop the gel capsule and put it on your finger?

At least 37 or 38 weeks.  I started at 37w but I didn't start doing it regularly until 38w.  The gel capsules you can puncture and insert at bedtime.  Just wear a pantyliner.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

At least 37 or 38 weeks.  I started at 37w but I didn't start doing it regularly until 38w.  The gel capsules you can puncture and insert at bedtime.  Just wear a pantyliner.

Okay, so you just puncture, insert, forget about it? It doesn't need to be "applied" to the cervix, and the outer part will just dissolve, then? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't used it like that but that's what I've heard.  Maybe someone else can confirm...

Old 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesoup View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Okay, so you just puncture, insert, forget about it? It doesn't need to be "applied" to the cervix, and the outer part will just dissolve, then? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Yep- the capsule just dissolves. 

Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

My 38w appointment

Things are looking good.  BP is up slightly (I blame it on their machine) but still within a great range.  Gained a few pounds, no big deal.  Everything else looks great.

Cervical check showed I am now dilated to a 2.5 or 3 and about 80% effaced.  DH thinks I'm going to have this baby any second now, lol.  I hope not!  Doc says he'll be out of town for the Thanksgiving weekend (and we have stuff to do on Monday) so I told the baby to wait until at least Tuesday.  Speaking of Tuesday, that's the day of my 39w appointment, the last appointment before my due date! jammin.gif

Old 11-29-2010, 11:38 PM

Had my first (and only) cervical check today at my appt. I am at 3cm and baby's head is really low. I was a bit surprised, didn't think anything was really happening, though I have been feeling more pelvic pressure recently. So, here's hoping this goes fast and smooth when he's ready! I'm two days past when my son was born, so I am ready to get this show on the road!

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 AM

Had my 37.5-week appointment yesterday (was supposed to be 37 weeks, but was postponed because of the holiday). I am GBS negative! biggrinbounce.gif I refused a cervical check, so no news there.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 

User Tag List