Mothering Forum banner

Holy Nighttime Leg Cramps, Batman!

436 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  the janet 
#1 ·
Whoa! This is PAINFUL, man! I am awakened at 4:30am by this searing pain in my leg akin to a hot poker being stuffed into my eye. I bolt awake, almost screaming "It hurts! Rub it! Leg cramp! Owowowowowow!" trying not to wake up the kids, and hubby roles over, pats my belly, and continues to snore. Let's hope my water doesn't break in the middle of the night, or I'll apparently be catching a cab to the hospital by myself, while he pats a belly that has left the bed.What does one do to cure such things? (the leg cramp, not the husband.....)

#2 ·
Take a calcium/magnesium supplement with something with vit. c in it before bed every night. Make sure NOT to take your iron (or prenatal that has iron) around this time, take them in the morning or at lunch instead. Iron inhibits your calcium absorption. I noticed a big difference once I started taking these at different times.

Also, when stretching your legs, don't point your toes! Stretch your calves with heels stretched out furthest.

Hope that helps
love.gif

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildoftheMoon View Post
Also, when stretching your legs, don't point your toes! Stretch your calves with heels stretched out furthest.
yeahthat.gif

After one excruciating leg cramp where I screamed and woke up my husband, I became hyperaware of how I stretched my legs in bed and haven't had another cramp since.

As this is my first pregnancy, I hope that experience is not indicative of my pain tolerance for contractions!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.