Oh, the 'options' with a transverse lie baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Looking for some opinions, please share your thoughts.

36 weeks today, baby Julian loves the transverse lie position but moves a lot and has been in vertex (for less than 48 hrs) and oblique breech in the last 2 weeks.

Right now I am scheduled for a version on Tuesday, 11/22.  I am not feeling compelled by that option at 1 day shy of 37 weeks.

Between now and then I will have 2 chiro appts-today and Monday (he specializes in prego mamas) and a doula visit.  I will seek their advice too and hope that between the visits and my at home methods (moxa, pelvic rocks, couch inversion technique, music/flashlight near pubic bone) that he'll change to the vertex position.

So...should I:

A) Keep my Tuesday appt for the version

B) Post pone it after Thanksgiving: I have an ultrasound appt on Tuesday, Nov. 30th (1 day shy of 38 weeks).  I figured if he was STILL not vertex then we could do the version. 

MW mentioned that I could receive an induction at 39 weeks if we find him vertex to prevent him moving out of the position, he's still so active!

I don't want a CS or an induction nor do I want the inversion.  This is my 2nd child, DD was born at 38 wks, natural, med-free birth.

#2 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Having just gone through planning out my WW*I*D for that situation, *I* would keep the version appointment for 36w6d.  There's always the chance that the u/s (which they have to do anyway) will show that the chiropractic work worked!

I certainly wouldn't want a version either, but it beats a c-section (imo).  While it's certainly possible that you could go a whole 42 weeks+ with this baby, you can't ingore the fact that you've gone at 38 weeks.  And, if you go again at 38 weeks and the baby hasn't turned, you're really only left with a rushed attempted version and/or a c-section.

What is your distance from the hospital?

For me, one of my biggest fears was the 1 hour + drive if my water were to break.  The increased risk of cord prolapse really freaked me out.

It truly is a very personal choice, so please know I'm sharing what I was planning to do, not necessarily what I think should be universal. ;-)

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#3 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM

If it were me, I'd keep the appointment too. Your other methods (chiro, pelvic rocking) may work, but if they don't, I'd personally prefer to have that intervention versus the kind of intervention you'd get if your baby is still transverse at 40 weeks (possible c/s). Good luck - one of mine stayed transverse through most of the third trimester and it was agonizing and uncomfortable, but he did turn. He was late, but he wasn't breech. :) 

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 11:34 AM

There's more chance the version will work if done earlier. Some drs won't attempt a version after 37 weeks. I'd keep the appointment and try the chiro first and spinning babies etc and hope it helps.

Sorry you're having to go through the stress.

My first baby was breech, and we scheduled a version. They did an u/s at 5pm and set up an appointment for 8am the next morning for the version. That night I didn't even try to turn her, I didn't bother, I just surrendered to the version. And the next morning they got me up on the table, prepped and ready for the version, turned on the u/s to watch as they performed it, and what do ya know, she turned overnight and was head down! I hope it works out as well for you. 

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#5 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the input ladies.  He did go head down with the chiro work but it was short-lived, about 4 hours.  I even purchased a binder at the office but he popped right out.  Sigh...

He's super active at the moment.  It's a difficult place to be: a part of me believes (or is holding out hope) that he'll come to it on his own, then the other side of me says, 'that's just wishful thinking'. 

#6 of 6 Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 PM

Go with the wishful thinking, otherwise known as positive thinking!  It only takes a moment for a baby to turn and you have lots of moments left!  But I appreciate your stress.  Mine is breech, and has been for as long as we could tell.  I am 34 weeks but still feeling panicked.  So I feel for you! Have you tried the Hynobabies "turn baby turn" tracks?  I will try that next.  Just keep working at it.  You can only do what you can do, the rest is fate.  You are onto it. You are doing everything you can.  Hugs and happy head down wishes!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page