What are you going to eat during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have gestational diabetes so I'm trying to find broths and soups, etc that won't increase my glucose. I have a couple packets of Justin's honey almond butter (yum!) and a couple protein bars (might not sit well, but I have them just in case.) What are you preparing/packing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM

I'm not sure. I never feel like eating in labor, but I know it's important to. In hospital they'd always stick an iv in me because I wasn't eating. Last time my labor was too fast to even eat, so maybe it'll be the same this time...I'm thinking of stocking up the fridge with cottage cheese. And getting some nuts and dried fruit. I really lose my appetite in labor though, and I'm just going to puke it up in transition. But I know they all say its important to eat...so I should try.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#3 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM

I never have an appetite during labor, so as soon as I start having contractions, I have a quick bowl of cereal just to keep my strength up. Otherwise I will go the twelve-ish hours without any food and get worn out. 

I usually have lemon Italian ice on hand because it seems like something I'd crave during labor, but I always end up forgetting about it and eating it labor.

Sorry, I'm not much help. :)

Maybe some homemade granola bars would be nice, or a nut/dried fruit/dark chocolate mix.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 PM

During my last labor all I remember eating was yogurt with granola and fruit.  I had it a few times.  Plus the RRLT with honey and water. 

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 05:24 PM

All I want during labor is water. I thought I would want food, but last time I didn't.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#6 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm not technically "allowed" to eat in labor in this hospital but I don't plan on showing up until I have to (and getting Taco Bell on the way in).  My doula also said she's 'good at holding doors shut', lol.

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#7 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have never eaten during labor. My labors have all been so fast I don't think I ever really got hungry enough. It's really the last thing on my mind. DH usually has to remind me to drink water.  With my first baby I ate some trail mix when my first water broke, right as my contractions were starting and I ended up throwing it up 2.5 hours later while in transition. Not fun.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#8 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM

I'm not sure what I will feel like having but possibly toast with almond butter, chicken breast, veggie juice, apples,,, all my faves.

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#9 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 07:36 PM

I have some Justin's maple almond butter packets and some honey sticks packed, as well as electrolyte water. I had just had my breakfast when my water broke with DS, and then I ate some yogurt before we headed to the hospital.  Last time in the hospital we sent my DH down to the cafeteria to get me a smoothie a few hours into active labor. Not sure exactly what was in it, but it helped. And no one bothered me about it, even when I puked it up and I was puking red everywhere. My doula also gave me some nasty tasting gel stuff right before pushing that I guess is what marathoners use for energy. It was foul, but it was probably a good thing I had it. Pushing DS out took almost 3 hours and I needed the energy.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#10 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM

i just went shopping this morning to stock up

with dd i was actually hungry at some point and had to eat hospital food. This time we hopefully will be at home

I got some

coconut water

emergen c

trail mix

soup

pb and j

these fruit bars called coconut bliss theyre a dairy free ice cream bar thing, but I just get them cause theyre yummy and refreshing

ice

chips and salsa - mostly for birth team

raw milk - its been my savior this pregnancy

lots of different teas

some type of power bar type thing

mostly i got snacks for dd too, so dh or others dont have an excuse to feed her junk, cheddar bunnies, cereal, apple sauce, yogurt, thing she can get herself if she is hungry

i have cookies i baked today and lentils and rice in the fridge, i think im going to be trying to bake and cook as if I may go into labor that day... for the next few weeks

bagels

burrito makings, beans, cheese, salsa, sour  cream, lettuce

some frozen meals, soup, lasagna

#11 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Oh I can't believe I forgot, I had a jimmy john's sandwich at 9 cms.  Thankfully I don't puke in labor!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#12 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 PM

I know I will need to eat in labor at least a little bit, because I am hypoglycemic and my blood sugar gets wacky and I feel sick when I don't eat. My midwives suggested to have on hand a lot of foods that will give me quick energy: full fat and flavor chocolate pudding, honey, yogurt, bananas, etc. I might also have some miso soup, or soup broths, some toast with almond or peanut butter. Hummus. I don't know what I will feel like eating, but I want to have a variety on hand to choose from. I am pretty certain I will be eating though, at least in early labor.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#13 of 22 Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 PM

I wasn't hungry during labor.  That, or it just wasn't 'top priority'.  I remember at some point my MW saying I needed to eat something and pulling out some dark choc covered almonds.  I had a handful or so.  Then threw up.  I did have an awesome turkey sandwich with havarti and avocado on an everything bagel after the birth that was A-MAZING.  :)

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#14 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 AM

I usually have a bagel with cream cheese and, last time, I kept stealing dh's beef jerky, lol.  My hospital stocks graham crackers, and I usually raid those, too. :-)

I've always (so far) started labor IN the hospital (several inductions and an SROM with heavy mec), so I've had 6-15 hours on my hands with my last 3 kids.  My first was in a hospital with a strict no-eating policy, and that was horrendous!

I generally only eat in the first few hours.  After that, my body is working too hard to deal with another function.  I've vomited in two labors - one where I ate and one where I didn't - so I don't really feel a need to take that into consideration.

This time, I'll have my trusty bagel with cream cheese with me and, hopefully, a couple of hard boiled eggs. 

What I'm really working on is figuring out what to bring for AFTER delivery.  My hospital has semi-decent food, and they're pretty good about bringing up a tray quickly, but it takes HOURS of eating for me to feel satisfied after having a baby!  #4 was born just after midnight, and I had dh running around at 2am trying to find me some more food!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#15 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 AM

I've just started thinking about this.  I'm going to pack my homemade nutty granola bars, yogurt covered preztels, and a few yogurt cups and grape nuts.  And  apple slices and grapes.  I love the idea of honey sticks!  I'll pick those up next week, too.  I also have to pack a meal for after the birth, and I am thinking that I will bring the ingredients to have DH make me a peanut butter and banana sandwich with a big glass of milk!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#16 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 05:30 AM

I wasn't hungry during my previous labor and puked a couple of times, so any food I ate didn't go anywhere anyway. I am planning on having the ingredients for a banana berry smoothie on hand (from the current Mothering magazine, a great recipe with almond butter and some other goodies I can't remember now). I am also making up some date and almonds balls for quick energy if I need it..... Being at home, I will have all our regular food available anyway, should I suddenly be ravenous. Which I am not expecting. lol.gif

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#17 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 08:03 AM

I'm never hungry during labor. Even during the 18 hours of active labor with dd all I could choke down was a piece of toast. My digestion takes a vacation when I'm laboring. :shrug

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#18 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 11:12 AM

No idea what I will actually want to eat, but I have coconut water and organic suckers packed, and also need to get a few protein bars.  I also plan to bring a big jug of pregnancy tea.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#19 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Last time I brought all kinds of food but ended up eating just a little fruit. I wasn't hungry either, just thirsty with all the pushing (and a little hyperventilating) but I actually really disliked the juice I brought, I found it too sweet and ended up drinking half juice and half water. I think I will get some fruit and some coconut water and I love the idea of chips and salsa for everyone else, like providing party appetizers for game day! orngbiggrin.gif

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#20 of 22 Old 11-19-2010, 01:33 PM

Once I hit active labor, I can't eat. Before that, I eat whatever - I homebirth so I can eat whatever we have on hand without worrying about packing stuff. But even with my first two, which were hospital births, I stayed home as long as possible. But once the active stuff hits, I can't imagine eating. Plus, I get extremely nauseous in transition and the thought of having anything in my stomach at that point makes it that much worse. After I give birth, though, dh makes me a huge smoothie with coconut milk, raw honey, greens powder, frozen fruit, and some placenta. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#21 of 22 Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

I'm not technically "allowed" to eat in labor in this hospital but I don't plan on showing up until I have to

Same here, though clear liquids are fine once I'm admitted. So apple juice, RRL tea, etc are all coming with us. And DH promises to sneak me bites of his snacks if I want them. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#22 of 22 Old 11-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Last time I was throwing up anything that went in until I was almost to pushing, so food was kind of irrelevant.  I was happy when I could finally keep water down, and didn't push it by trying anything else.   But I guess I should probably pack some snacks in case things are different this time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page