Baby Haven update - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks everyone for the congratulations :-) I am so in love with my little guy! We've had some ups and downs so far - his white blood cell count was high yesterday morning signifying infection and the pedi was worried he had gotten Strep B. I tested positive and had the IV antibiotics, but labor was so fast they may not have had time to work. He's been on antibiotics and fluids and is improving quickly thankfully. I was SO relieved when his strep test came back negative.

Breastfeeding is already a challenge - my nipples are kind of flat and he won't take them. Using a nipple shield is helping, but he's not all that motivated to suck strongly. That may be due to him fighting infection or maybe he just isn't hungry cause he's had IV fluids/antibiotics. Or maybe he's just not that interested now cause my milk isn't in yet??? Hopefully when the milk comes in and he's feeling better then he'll start feeding better? I am offering the breast often (every hour or two) and can usually get him to suck a little for a few minutes. He's done really well for a couple of feedings here and there, but mostly he just seems like he isn't that into it. 

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS was a slow starter for breastfeeding. We had to wake him up a lot, tickle his feet to keep him awake, etc. By the end of the second week, he was doing great. I know it causes new mama anxiety not to have an eager nurser, but keep doing what you're doing, ask for help if you need it, and he'll figure it out.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#3 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks!  I posted in the breastfeeding forum as well, seeking advice.  But mainly I think it is just going to take a lot of persistence!  I am really motivated to make it work, so hopefully we'll get it figured out soon.

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#4 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 PM

Breastfeeding can definitely be tricky at the beginning, esp with a sleepy or seemingly disinterested baby! Do you have access to a lactation consultant (either by phone or, ideally, in person?). It can be a big help to talk to one...I'm sure the MDC Breastfeeding forum will have useful info, too. If it's any comfort, my daughter was in the NICU for six days so I had to pump exclusively for her first four days, and we were still able to establish a very strong nursing relationship. Indeed, she nursed until 28 months!

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#5 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Dd is a slow starter for nursing too. My boys were champs, and it can be concerning even as a fourth time mom. Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing. Seek out a lactation consultant or LLL ... support does so much to help in the beginning (even if you have a strong nurser). hug.gif

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#6 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Barefootgirl,

I am a LLL leader. I can send you my number if you want to chat. Congrats on the little one!!!!!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page