Confused about percentiles... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 37 weeks and have been measuring 2-3 weeks behind throughout the pregnancy. My midwife sent me for an ultrasound last week to make sure everything looked ok. The u/s tech told us the baby was 6 lbs 11 oz and the report that was sent to my midwife put her in the 69th percentile. My midwife says this is on the small side but still ok.

I know that ultrasounds this far along are not terribly reliable, but I'm confused. Wouldn't the 69th percentile indicate that the baby is bigger than 68% of other babies at 36 weeks? Am I misunderstanding this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yeah...  he/she would be as big as or bigger than 69% of babies at that gestational age.  Where do they get 'small' out of that??

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
#3 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Lol!

My last u/s (35.5wk) put my baby in the 74th percentile, and the tech kept talking about how BIG he is.  My mw prefers to use the term "ahead". ;-)

I guess it's all in one's perspective! @@

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#4 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the confirmation...I was beginning to think I had it all backwards. Carrie, you are absolutely right about perspective!

#5 of 6 Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillianB View Post

I'm 37 weeks and have been measuring 2-3 weeks behind throughout the pregnancy. My midwife sent me for an ultrasound last week to make sure everything looked ok. The u/s tech told us the baby was 6 lbs 11 oz and the report that was sent to my midwife put her in the 69th percentile. My midwife says this is on the small side but still ok.

Small? Maybe a little, like a few ounces - My baby was about 7 pounds at 37 weeks and 8 pounds when born (7 pounds 15/16 ounces). I think it's normal, 8 pounds is the average weight of babies born in the US. yeah, 69 percentile is around 30 percent of kids of bigger. Right? I mean my daughter ended up being in the 95 percentile when she was 4 months, so only 5 percent of babies that age were bigger than her, that is what was explained to me.

I guess she is used to delivering a lot of bigger babies??

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#6 of 6 Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 AM

I think you're fine Lillian.  My baby boy has a single umbilical artery (SUA) so I get ultra sounds monthly to monitor his growth.  He measured at 68% on November 2nd and the tech said that clearly he wasn't inhibited by SUA.  I am 38 weeks today and he was scanned yesterday and measured 7lbs 4oz.  He's fine now I just need to focus on the kick counts to make sure that we continue on this path.

-V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page