Keeping busy - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So trying to fill the time now that I am off work and enjoying the remainder of being a one child family...dd is in school though and I have been trying to think of things to do each day...

So here's my list of things I want to make/create before baby arrives...

sling for dd to use with baby

frozen baked goods (muffins, breads, rolls etc)

large containers of granola, morning grains, chia crunch cereal

frozen soups

playlist for labour, sleep for baby

knit toques, headband, scarf, legwarmers and socks for holiday gifts

serge receiving blankets, washcloths 

sew apron for holiday gift for sister

make gifts with dd for her to give for holiday gifts (thinking epsom salts with lavender for the ladies and still thinking on the men)

ANyone else trying to keep busy creatively?  Basically I feel like I am procrastinating things that *actually* need to be done!  Some nester I am!! :)

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 08:41 AM

I have been knitting like a crazy woman. I think it's keeping me sane. I've never finished so many projects in such a short period of time...this baby is going to be covered in yarn constantly. :)

My home visit with my MW is tomorrow so I've been doing a lot of cleaning, organizing, etc....like you, I am spending more time making sure I have every possible meal I could ever want in the freezer and knitting to my heart's content; meanwhile, I haven't mopped in ages. :)

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#3 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

meanwhile, I haven't mopped in ages. :)

yeah...dp asked me this am...do you think you might want to vacuum today? adding...but only if you have time! crap.gif

I've been slacking big time on my share of the household chores...I'm so blessed that he is so easygoing about it!

but I likely should vacuum today...in the middle of my bread risings winky.gif

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#4 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Good to know I'm not alone in that :-)

I knew it was bad when (a) I had to call my husband to find out where the mop was and (b) he said "don't forget to get it wet before you start." innocent.gif

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#5 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post

Good to know I'm not alone in that :-)

I knew it was bad when (a) I had to call my husband to find out where the mop was and (b) he said "don't forget to get it wet before you start." innocent.gif

haha! that's pretty funny...

it's funny when at the end of the day I feel so accomplished and boast at having knit 2 toques and sewn a christmas present and yet he must just cringe at the sight of our house!  I think I'll make a better at home mamma once our bean is here...(I bet he hopes so anyways!)

#6 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM

So I am not alone.  I swear, my poor DH did not get a home cooked meal for nearly 2 months!  Between his business travel schedule and my work schedule, things never lined up.  I've made up for it in the past week.  He doesn't know how to act!  This weekend, I'll make some freezer meals.  Household chores are a constant duty as we re-organize and purge our 2-bedroom apt for Julian.  We're just about set to go but things have been shifted so much that it looks like a mess.  Major pick up still left to do.

Oh, let's not forget about packing the hospital bag, writing the family centered c-section birth plan, and packing DD's things for when she spends some days with Nani (grandma).

Yea, I have plenty to do!  Did I mention, I am still working?!?!

bouncy.gif

#7 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 PM

I'm  having the opposite problem. I need to sew some more diapers and convert some more bum genius to snaps. But I cannot motivate myself to do it. I am spending so much time and energy cleaning up things that are already clean. My house has never looked so good. I'm cleaning the bathroom every day, vacuuming multiple times a day, I have the neighbour's carpet cleaner sitting out and I keep going back over the whole house, cleaning all the carpets. I repeatedly clean the kitchen counters and all the surfaces of the cupboard doors etc even when they're already clean. And I'm hardly cooking anything, because I hate watching the kitchen get messy while i cook. So we're doing frozen meals or take out, or really easy meals like pasta and sauce so it won't make a mess. I'm constantly running after everyone picking up their crumbs/toys/shoes left out etc because I can't stand to see a mess. It's a bit obsessive, and not normally like me. I just want to have this baby so I can stop nesting and let my house get dirty again! lol.

Yeah, I think part of the reason I don't want to sew the diapers is I know it means hauling out all the fabrics and then bits or remnants and thread end up all over the carpet...it's too messy.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#8 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 02:05 PM

My house is a disaster, but I managed to make 3 fitteds over the weekend and cut 6 more!  Clothes and (most of the) diapers are prepped.  Freezers are adequately filled and somewhat organized.  And I've been playing with my new Moby wrap.  I just can't get motivated to keep cleaning up after 4 kids and 4 pets, and I'm completely sick of feeding them all!!!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#9 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFullHouse View Postand I'm completely sick of feeding them all!!!

LOL I feel the same way. It seems like my 4 kids need to be eating or drinking something CONSTANTLY. And then the cats start meowing for food too and it's so hard to bend over and fill up the bunnies' food dish. Ugh. Why does everyone have to eat all the time? hehe.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#10 of 15 Old 11-30-2010, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

My house is a disaster, but I am trying to keep busy for the most part.  On my list:

*Christmas crafts with dd (cotton ball snowman, painting snowmen, painting the salt dough ornaments we made yesterday, making applesauce cinnamon ornaments)

*Making a felt board for dd for Christmas

*finish knitting longies for baby

*knit a hat

*knit a stocking

The freezer is full, and even though I no longer feel like cooking at all, I won't break into those meals LOL.

The laundry, however, is not done, and my kitchen floor desperately needs mopped.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008, Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Hudson James, born August 26, 2013
Cautiously expecting surprise #4 July 2016
#11 of 15 Old 12-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Yeah, my nesting has nothing to do with cleaning, either. Right now it's all about finishing up sewing/crafting projects and Christmas stuff. I have gotten much farther with all that than I thought I would, but my house is grungy. I just cannot bend down and reach anymore.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#12 of 15 Old 12-02-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I love that I'm not alone in this!

#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2010, 04:30 AM

TODAY I will finsih that $%^& cross stitch that I have been working on for 6 months.  Being somewhat confined to my couch on reduced activity has given me the motivation to finally do the thing.  It will go in the mail to my sister tomorrow.  And then I get to start another project!  I have fabric to make drapes for our bedroom, but I think this weekend's task is going to be to make a little paper pendant mobile to go over the changing table.  Maybe I'll do the drapes next week.  I bought that fabric months ago, when it was on sale, because I knew I was going to need a big December project to keep my busy!

As for chores, I'm pretty much just keeping up with my regular ones, even though it means DH now has to help me move the stove to clean behind it, and he has to be the one to vacuum

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2010, 08:33 AM

I am scheduled to work to 39 weeks....UGH!! The head is so low that getting up and down is SUCH a slower process. None-the-less because of this I basically got super nesty in November and finished virtually all of my projects. The only creative thing I have left is to work on the baby announcements.  I guess wrapping presents and making Xmas packages to mail counts in there too. I am really not looking forward to my next round of work that begins tonight, 12 hours...UGH!! Is anyone else still grinding work away? Such a drag, I just want to stare at the tree with some hot tea and listen to Xmas music everynight, write in my journal and enjoy this time before my entire world changes! Ok, I will not turn this into a pity party, sorry! 

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#15 of 15 Old 12-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Owlgirl, I'm still plugging away at work, 39 weeks tomorrow, but my work is mostly office stuff so I am not on my feet all the time. But driving to and from is getting harder. I'll probably keep at it though until the day, it keeps me sane.

DS 12/2010 bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page