Trying to keep a positive attitude.. - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

but it's getting really hard with all this prodromal. I told myself I'd see the prodromal as a blessing this time, because last time all the prodromal ended up giving me a super easy and short labor when the time came. So this time I'd be sure to embrace it as a good thing.

But I've had so many nights now of being unable to sleep, contractions 5 minutes apart and getting tighter and me getting everything ready thinking this is surely going to be the night. It's physically and emotionally draining me.

And I'm pretty sure I'll end up going overdue again this time, which means I could have as much as 3 weeks left of this. sigh.

I need to remind myself that it's all progress. Every time the contractions are tighter than the night before, so it's not like I'm having to start from scratch every time. It's making progress, slowly and easily. It's just so frustrating to keep getting my hopes up.

Anyone else having prodromal? Help me stay upbeat about this.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM

That does sound super aggravating; I know I'd be annoyed if I couldn't sleep--I excpect that during labor or after the baby is born, not before! 

But everything you said is true...this is really prepping your body to make things so much smoother for you and your baby!

Fat Scottish Gal likes this.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#3 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 AM

Just wanted to say taht you have my full sympathies, for sure!  I could NOT sleep last night, despite being super tired.  I finally did fall asleep, but then of course I would have to get up to go to the bathroom, and while I can normally fall right back to sleep again; no such luck last night! 

If this continues, I will be beyond aggravated!  I know you have lots of kiddos at home, but are you able to take a nap in the afternoon?

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif

#4 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 05:01 AM

I've started a bit in the past few days, which is completely unusual for me.  Out of all of my pregnancies, the only time I really felt anything (even including BHs) was less than 12 hours before my water broke with #3.  So, even though it's pretty minor right now, it's throwing me for a loop.

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#5 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 AM

Hi Fat Scottish Gal,

Wow, I'm not going through anything like that - I can't imagine how you're managing while mothering your other children, too! Here's hoping this baby comes sooner rather than later!!

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#6 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 AM

I'm not sure if what I am experiencing can be considered prodromal, but I am having lots of semi-painful, tight BHs and sharp head-butts to the cervix at the same time. The contraction hits, then wee man starts buttin'! Luckily I have been able to sleep through, I feel for you, FSG!! I hope you get some sleep whenever you can hug2.gif

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#7 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

My body gave me a night off last night so I feel quite a bit better today :) I still had to pee like 5 times, but I was able to get right back to sleep and didn't wake with contractions or anything. So I'm in a better mood today hehe. And they've started off again this morning. Man, my body knows exactly how to contract like crazy, but just doesn't seem to want to actually go into labor until the very last minute.

No naps for me unfortunately. Last pregnancy I used to be able to nap while my 2 olders had quiet time and my then youngest would nap in bed beside me. But that same little girl, who is now 3, is a completely hyperactive trouble maker, so even when my 2 year old has a nap, I can't possibly leave Zoe under the supervision of the two olders. She's hard enough for me to look after! But I survive. It just makes me super grumpy is all. DH lets me have a nice warm lavender bath when he comes home, and it helps rejuvenate me, physically and emotionally. And I've totally cut off my external responsibilities now, I'm not socializing a lot, not involved with the groups etc I'm usually active in, so really I have space to just grump around the house etc hehe. It's more just the emotional side of it getting to me. I'm hormonal and the sleep deprivation makes me more emotional, and being in a constant state of readiness is emotionally exhausting too.

I've been thinking lately, part of the reason I hold on to my babies for so long, is that I enjoy being pregnant too much. When I have these episodes of prodromal labor, I start off super excited thinking, ok this is really it this time, and then I start to almost grieve, feeling the sadness of going back to being just me and not sharing my body with this babe anymore. I bet that's what ends up holding things back. I don't know how to get rid of that though. I guess it takes me going almost 2 weeks over and being completely and utterly fed up before I'm finally 100% mentally and emotionally ready to give up my baby to the world. Plus I have neighbors knocking on my door and people phoning and facebooking asking if I've had the baby yet, and it makes me feel protective like I don't want to share the baby yet. Right now, when he/she is tucked safely inside, nobody can come and poke them or breathe their germs all over them. The baby is just mine and I don't have to share. Hmmm I think I have some issues to work through...

#8 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 08:11 AM

I feel for you. I have BH all the time. It is kind of an ongoing joke in our house now. I like to tell DH, "ooh, i am having a contraction, so we are probably having a baby today or in a few weeks." maybe just try to think of ways to make it more humorous? By the way, this advice is coming from someone who was super grouchy all day yesterday because it was my EDD, so I know it is tough to be patient and laugh things off. I think I might start telling people I am not due until April. ROTFLMAO.gif

June Bug- 3 years and growing, Baby Emmett- 8 months and on the move!

#9 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runkin View Post

I feel for you. I have BH all the time. It is kind of an ongoing joke in our house now. I like to tell DH, "ooh, i am having a contraction, so we are probably having a baby today or in a few weeks." maybe just try to think of ways to make it more humorous? By the way, this advice is coming from someone who was super grouchy all day yesterday because it was my EDD, so I know it is tough to be patient and laugh things off. I think I might start telling people I am not due until April. ROTFLMAO.gif

Yeah, I've had tons of BH since like the first trimester! Which was weird because the uterus was so low and it's just this tiny tightening way down low. I have joked about how labor starts earlier with every baby and by number 6 I've been in labor since I got my BFP.

But really the BHs are easy to be lighthearted about. But the prodromal is different. It's opening my cervix. They come fast and hard for hours at a time and require my focus and energy, I can't sleep through them etc. It's not as easy to just laugh it off. Plus, my last actual labor ended up only being 2.5 hours long, 1.5 hours of which just felt like another episode of prodromal, so I didn't know it was labor, didn't call the midwife until later, and she ended up not making it on time. I'm keen to make sure to call the midwife earlier this time, but by the time labor actually starts, I'm so dilated already from all the prodromal that labor itself doesn't take much time. And it makes me nervous and makes me watch every sign more closely. I want to have time to fill the pool and use the birth room I've so carefully set up.

But that's where I need to stop whining and see the blessing in it. At least I'm getting to break up labor over weeks, which makes it hurt much less and makes it much easier and faster when the time comes to have the baby. Many people would choose it this way over 16 hours of hard labor. So I need to stop whining and just see it as a good opportunity to practice for the big event. :) Easier said than done though. But I'm trying.

#10 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I was feeling great until yesterday... then my OB started talking about 'when I'd like to be induced'.  Yeah, great self-confidence booster... start talking induction at 39 weeks.  Now it feels like I'm never going to have this baby until they kick him out.  Its crushing. bawling.gif I started wondering if I was going to be induced whether I should even try for a natural birth or just request the epidural before they start pitocin. It totally sucks, I'm not even *to* my due date and I'm counting down until the latest the doctor will 'allow' me to go before induction. guilty.gif  At least I'll be holding my baby sometime in the next 17 days...

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pregnant with #2, having another
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
#11 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

I was feeling great until yesterday... then my OB started talking about 'when I'd like to be induced'.  Yeah, great self-confidence booster... start talking induction at 39 weeks.  Now it feels like I'm never going to have this baby until they kick him out.  Its crushing. bawling.gif I started wondering if I was going to be induced whether I should even try for a natural birth or just request the epidural before they start pitocin. It totally sucks, I'm not even *to* my due date and I'm counting down until the latest the doctor will 'allow' me to go before induction. guilty.gif  At least I'll be holding my baby sometime in the next 17 days...

That makes me so mad. They just want to micro manage everything. Can't risk you having the baby sometime when he's not on call, because then he might not get paid! Gasp.

Sorry to be so cynical. This sort of stuff just really gets me on my high horse.

Don't let it bother you. Your body knows how to have a baby! You can always refuse an induction, and there is no medical indication for it so far, right? You could just ask him to please refrain from discussing the issue of induction with you until you are at least past 41 weeks. The way I see it, a long pregnancy is very draining and difficult, but baby isn't really "late" until after 42 weeks, so why rush it? But they'll make much more money out of an induced, managed birth and he can be in control and make sure he's there to get his wages out of it. Sorry, there I go again.

Thing is, I don't start buying laxatives and marking a date on my calendar that I will start taking them incase I happen to become constipated in the future at some point. I just don't even think about that until it becomes a problem. You're not even at your due date yet. No reason to start talking about how to force the baby out when everything is going just fine.

Sorry the appointment upset you. I would be livid. Try to put it to the back of your mind. This is your baby, your body and your birth. it's just your OB's job and will be one of many births he attends that week. This is special for you. Don't let him stress you out with his talk of induction. hug2.gif

#12 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Scottish Gal View Post

Right now, when he/she is tucked safely inside, nobody can come and poke them or breathe their germs all over them. The baby is just mine and I don't have to share. Hmmm I think I have some issues to work through...

I feel this way too, even though I'm so uncomfortable right now! I keep thinking about the days after the birth, likely to be right around Christmas, and how SO many people will be here and they will ALL want to hold the baby. Will they be mad if I say no? I already don't want to share.

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#13 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesoup View Post

Quote:

I feel this way too, even though I'm so uncomfortable right now! I keep thinking about the days after the birth, likely to be right around Christmas, and how SO many people will be here and they will ALL want to hold the baby. Will they be mad if I say no? I already don't want to share.

Get a sling/wrap!  They tend to keep most people from getting too touchy-feely, and they're less likely to ask you to hand him over than if he's just lying in your arms!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#14 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Get a sling/wrap!  They tend to keep most people from getting too touchy-feely, and they're less likely to ask you to hand him over than if he's just lying in your arms!

I have a Moby, ready and waiting, and can't wait to use it, but hadn't thought of it that way -- so true!

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#15 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM

If they push you into making an appointment for an induction... just don't show. What can they do, really? Drag you out of your home because you missed a doctor's appointment? You've got rights, just be sure you exercise them. :) 

Quote:

Doula and SAHM to Xander (4) and Lorelei (1.5). EC gave me courage to CD! Our children are intact. Our surprise 1st bio baby due Dec 2010!
#16 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Poor thing! Scottish Gal, I am right there with you, except I'm fine with having baby out in the world. I have lots of prodromal labor too, and this is #5 for me. I'm sick of the ctx, sick of the back pain and totally ready to be done! My doc is pushing for induction on the 14th, but that's cause my BP is creeping up and swelling and dizzyness are starting to be a problem. I only even have a doc because I had to have an MD to fill out my maternity leave paperwork for work. They wouldn't accept my midwife's signature... what a pain!

Right now, more ctx... they run from barely there, mildly uncomfortable to breathing through a couple of them, but there's not much cervical change! I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and about 60% effaced and 2-3 cms.... which could last for weeks yet.  The biggest problems I've had are not being able to walk, due to my lower back being soooo jacked up, having to take off work as of now, which adds financial stress as I was planning on working another two weeks yet, and just being in constant discomfort if not outright pain, which makes me really hard to live with... grumpy and miserable!  So, I do hope that I go into labor on my own sometime soon and this prodromal labor has done it's job and I have a quick and relatively easy labor like #4 which was about 5 hours from start to finish and relatively smooth and easy.

I have total sympathy for you!

Oh, and I plan on using my wrap, the weather, my jacket, the cold... whatever excuse to keep people's grubby hands off him especially since we're in the middle of cold season! I really don't like anyone touching my newborns, especially if said people smoke or haven't washed their hands, or have animals or whatever! Gross!

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#17 of 23 Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like we're in this together. At least I can have company in my misery. :) Pull up a chair, have a coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydoula View Post

Poor thing! Scottish Gal, I am right there with you, except I'm fine with having baby out in the world. I have lots of prodromal labor too, and this is #5 for me. I'm sick of the ctx, sick of the back pain and totally ready to be done! My doc is pushing for induction on the 14th, but that's cause my BP is creeping up and swelling and dizzyness are starting to be a problem. I only even have a doc because I had to have an MD to fill out my maternity leave paperwork for work. They wouldn't accept my midwife's signature... what a pain!

Right now, more ctx... they run from barely there, mildly uncomfortable to breathing through a couple of them, but there's not much cervical change! I'm 37 weeks tomorrow and about 60% effaced and 2-3 cms.... which could last for weeks yet.  The biggest problems I've had are not being able to walk, due to my lower back being soooo jacked up, having to take off work as of now, which adds financial stress as I was planning on working another two weeks yet, and just being in constant discomfort if not outright pain, which makes me really hard to live with... grumpy and miserable!  So, I do hope that I go into labor on my own sometime soon and this prodromal labor has done it's job and I have a quick and relatively easy labor like #4 which was about 5 hours from start to finish and relatively smooth and easy.

I have total sympathy for you!

Oh, and I plan on using my wrap, the weather, my jacket, the cold... whatever excuse to keep people's grubby hands off him especially since we're in the middle of cold season! I really don't like anyone touching my newborns, especially if said people smoke or haven't washed their hands, or have animals or whatever! Gross!

#18 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 08:34 AM

I did this with my last baby, it is so hard!  (((hugs)))  I've luckily not had any of it yet this time, though there's still time for that so I'm not holding my breath.  It's really difficult emotionally and physically and I'm glad you had a night's break from it! 

#19 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

And back to it again last night, from 3.20am til 7.45am. Couldn't sleep through it, spent most of the time pacing between my bed and the bathroom, had some really good, tight ones that I thought surely were the start of something.  I didn't go to bed until 1am and the kids were up at 8, so I'm tired.

Had a midwife appointment and it seems baby is way down low and everything's going fine, so that's all good.

Due date is 3 days away, so at least I won't have weeks and weeks of this...weeks at most but not weeks and weeks. Each night I survive of this is one day closer to baby in arms.

#20 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 11:18 AM

I feel for you. I've had those night time ctx in one pg and I was so exhausted. It's bad enough that I'm contracting during the day now (so far anyway). All afternoon and evening yesterday I was having contractions in my cervix with lots of pressure. I sort of expect to see some mucus plug here soon...

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#21 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Scottish Gal View Post

Quote:

That makes me so mad. They just want to micro manage everything. Can't risk you having the baby sometime when he's not on call, because then he might not get paid! Gasp.

Sorry to be so cynical. This sort of stuff just really gets me on my high horse.

Don't let it bother you. Your body knows how to have a baby! You can always refuse an induction, and there is no medical indication for it so far, right? You could just ask him to please refrain from discussing the issue of induction with you until you are at least past 41 weeks. The way I see it, a long pregnancy is very draining and difficult, but baby isn't really "late" until after 42 weeks, so why rush it? But they'll make much more money out of an induced, managed birth and he can be in control and make sure he's there to get his wages out of it. Sorry, there I go again.

Thing is, I don't start buying laxatives and marking a date on my calendar that I will start taking them incase I happen to become constipated in the future at some point. I just don't even think about that until it becomes a problem. You're not even at your due date yet. No reason to start talking about how to force the baby out when everything is going just fine.

Sorry the appointment upset you. I would be livid. Try to put it to the back of your mind. This is your baby, your body and your birth. it's just your OB's job and will be one of many births he attends that week. This is special for you. Don't let him stress you out with his talk of induction. hug2.gif

FSG, You. Are. Awesome....That is all.

and WifeofAnt, Screw that doctor. Why the heck would a doctor consider an unnecessary induction at 39 weeks? Are you in danger, or is your baby not tolerating the pregnancy?

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#22 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM

Ugh, yes! I'll take a coffee and a sitdown. i'm worn out! Today, actually, last night, I was up every two hours on the hour to pee! Unbeliveable! And I couldn't just ignore it.. I tried!  Today my back doesn't hurt as much, thank goodness, but I feel constipated, although I'm not, really... and any bite of anything I eat feels like it's just sitting there, in my throat or stomach... just sitting there... not digesting or anything... just an unpleasant lump SITTING there. YUCK!

My 5 year old is grumpy.... I'm trying to get her to put away her school things and she's falling all over the floor crying about how she's sooooo hungryyyy... she just had two cookies after coming home from school, and half an orange.  I'm quite sure she's NOT starving....  sigh.  I need a nap, but I don't know if I can get comfortable enough to sleep....

Oh, and I'm supposed to figure out dinner.... all I have is hotdogs, gross, and a frozen chicken.

i did manage to fold laundry and get it put away... miracle!

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#23 of 23 Old 12-02-2010, 07:39 PM

I'm so there too.  Since last Tuesday. My contractions kind of just putter throughout the day but around dinner time really vamp up to 5-6min consistently.  I'm having them in my sleep now too.  I've actually woken DH and myself up wimpering from them at times.  And I'm up every hour to pee.  I know it's the contractions putting pressure on my bladder but seriously?  I'm exhausted and just DONE.  I'm seriously on the verge of using the breast pump or castor oil or hell, a kitchen knife to get her out. 

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page