Placenta Discussion - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know many of you have discussed encapsulating your placenta in here before...

I'm wondering very seriously about eating mine, despite thinking that we would just plant it like I did with dd. 

I would like to eat a chunk of it raw in a smoothie immediately after birth to prevent haemorrage, and PPD. 

I have read about cutting it into strips and doing this for a few days after but now that we've talked about this and DP is into helping me with preparing this, we want to encapsulate that which I don't eat so I can have it for later. Does anyone know how hard this is to do at home?

All this came up while discussing our midwife's comment about a routine shot of oxytocin immediately following the birth, to which we are going to decline unless it appears necessary...I seriously adore my DP...he is so on board with all this. I NEVER thought I would hear him say, "well I guess if it looks like eating the placenta is the way to go, you should do it. I'll be in charge of preparing a smoothie with it for you". 

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 PM

I'm having mine encapsulated. I have no idea how hard it is...the midwife assistant is doing it for me. I think the smoothie idea is a fantastic one. If you can chug it down, then go for it! I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to, but I wish I could. :)

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#3 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 10:19 PM

I have given serious thought to eating (part of) it. I even talked about it with my Mom the other day. She thought it sounded kinda gross but kept an admirably open mind, especially after I explained about the PPD part. She had really bad PPD after my younger sister and we both have issues with depression so she knows I'm at risk for it.

I've been thinking I'll just wait and see -- if I feel like I could get some down in a smoothie or whatnot soon after the birth maybe I'll do that. If not, maybe I'll dry it out (my midwife told me at my last appointment that you can basically do it that way yourself, rather than paying to have it encapsulated). If that seems like too much work, I'll just freeze it and save it to bury (on the first property I've ever owned!).

I do know that I want to make a print or two. I explained that to my Mom as well the other day, and she said she'd be happy to help with it. So I just need to get some muslin and/or watercolor paper to stash away for that purpose.

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#4 of 9 Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DDC to say that this site has great instructions (with pictures!): http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1577334/Placenta_Encapsulation_Instructions_w_Pictures 

I would recommend doing a chunk raw in a smoothie for the first 2-3 days (have your dh cut off a golf ball sized chunk, grind it up REALLY well with a little yogurt and then add everything else...include some strawberries or raspberries to hide the color)...it didn't taste any different from a normal smoothie and was a huge energy/healing booster.  Just be careful not to do too much if you feel really good!  Then encapsulate the rest of it as shown in the link so that it will last you a long time.

I did 1 smoothie and then had dh encapsulate the rest.  The smoothie was GREAT, I could really feel the energy boost.  The capsules are not as obvious to me...I'm assuming that they're helpful, but it's not as clear.  I have had more blues this time than last, but I have much less support (in terms of family out to visit/help and dh having time off work).  I think the support from family/dh last time made more difference than the placenta this time, but if I ever got pregs again (not planning to) I would make sure to do both!  Have 2 weeks of dh completely off work and then only part time after that, family bringing me meals in bed constantly, AND do smoothies and capsules.  That would be the way to go :)

eta: seriously, try the smoothie.  It wasn't bad AT ALL.  Okay, well dh said it was gross to make, but I just didn't watch that part and it tasted just like a normal strawberry smoothie.

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#5 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 04:24 AM

I don't want to pay to have mine encapsulated, and we don't have a home dehydrator to dry it myself.  So, my plan is to put it in the freezer, and then cut of slivers of it to swallow, like you would a pill. 

But I am also going to do a placenta tincture with a fist-sized chunk of it.  Cheap and keeps for years.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#6 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 PM

I just did my sister's and she's doing mine.  It was super easy.  I used a combo of that link posted above and the instructions in Jill Aviva Romm's post partum book, Natural Healing Postpartum or something like that.  I had a friend help because I'm having meat aversions this pregnancy and was worried I'd be super grossed out, but it seriously wasn't bad at  all.  We washed the placenta and got the blood clots off and poked a few holes in it to drain the blood.  Then in a steam pot I put some water, a chunck of ginger and a splash of lemon juice, then steam the placenta in the basket for around 15 each side until cooked.  Then we sliced it thinly and laid it out on a cookine sheet (her placenta was small, may need 2 sheets) and baked/dehydrated at 300 F for about an hour.  Until it was crispy when bent and didn't just bend.  Then I tried to powerize it in my food processor but that didn't work so I used my VitaMix blender and that did work but it took quite a while to get all the pieces broken up.  Then I put it in a bowl and used empy geletin capsules sized 00 to scoop it up and close them.  I thought it would be a huge ordeal and take forever, but it was easy, there was very little odor, and it was less than 4 hours start to finish.   It was definately worth me saving the $250 it costs to have it done here.  I was going to pay for it though, because I didn't want to have to worry about doing it a day or 2 or 3 postpartum, but when my sister ended up being interested too we were happy to save each other the $! 

#7 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My midwives are going to cut it up in vitamin size pieces and freeze them, and then I will just take it like a pill. I am excited about the health benefits I and the baby will receive!  It is the quickest, easiest way...I feel.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#8 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

this sounds doable...perhaps I'll look into this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisa View Post

My midwives are going to cut it up in vitamin size pieces and freeze them, and then I will just take it like a pill. I am excited about the health benefits I and the baby will receive!  It is the quickest, easiest way...I feel.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#9 of 9 Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 PM

I've made up a placenta encapsulation kit for my MIL who will take charge of doing it for me since she has a nice dehydrator and cap filler. I can't even think about eating it raw. That's super that your DP would make a smoothie for you though!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page