Crappy day yesterday - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had a midwife appointment yesterday morning and found out I was measuring 42 weeks, when I'm only 37 weeks, so everyone freaked out and ordered an u/s. I was told that if I didn't have the u/s and went into labor, the OBs would freak and immediately want a c-section.
Then dh and I noticed that dd had a weird itchy rash on her hands, so we made an appointment for her. She was diagnosed with chicken pox. She feels ok, but the rash is definitely spreading.

Go back for my u/s and find out there is too much fluid, although the baby is measuring fine, but now they're worried about a cord prolapse when my water breaks or that I have untreated GD because the baby's stomach is measuring slightly larger than the rest of her. So now I'm worried that my desire for a natural birth is going to cause problems and it's going to be my fault if something goes wrong.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#2 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 04:48 AM

Oh I'm so sorry!!!  My sister had that same kind of scare, but a bit ealier in the pregnancy, and her baby was totally 100% fine, if that makes you feel any better.  hug2.gif

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#3 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 AM

Please don't blame yourself!! You're going through enough without feeling responsible for what your body is or is not doing! Hang in there and please keep us posted...

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#4 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Hang in there, things can change quickly. I had an US at 34.5 weeks, and I was measuring like 39 weeks. BUT baby was fine, although a little larger than normal... but I have bigger babies... my smallest was 7lbs 13oz!  I had to have another US to check the cord function, which was also fine... but a couple of freakout moments for me too. Not fun, but everything's ok, so far.

I have BP rising and a little swelling to deal with now, but I'm just trying to relax and stay calm and rest for the next couple weeks.

Try to be easy on yourself, get rest, foot rubs, relaxation time, meditation... whatever helps YOU relax!

Your desire to birth naturally is normal and isn't putting your baby at risk. Interventions can be risky and you need to stay educated and ask lots of questions about what your care providers want to do, and why! Take notes, take a notebook with you... that's what I do, so I don't forget my questions and so I remember the answers!

Wanting to birth vaginally and without a lot of interference is the normal way to birth, and almost all of the time, the safest way too. If you need help you have access to it, and if there is an emergency, you can get help. Just remember the decisions to be made are YOURS, you are the mommy! You are the parent and the person in charge of your own body and your childs!  If you don't understand something or if you want a second opinion or more information, you have to be persistent and ASK!  Good luck!!!

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#5 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 03:55 PM

I'm sorry, that's really scary. What's the next step? Do they just continue to monitor you, or do you think they are going to be pressing for induction?

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#6 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 PM

praying for you and baby

hugs hugs hugs

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010
#7 of 16 Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the supportive words :hug2.gif

They're going to do a follow up ultrasound in 3 weeks, but I really don't think I'll still be pregnant ;)  which was kind of the midwife's intent I think.  In the freaking out yesterday, I was kind of worried about my midwife, but in hindsight, I think she was just following the protocol she's bound to follow and will be an advocate for us and our desire for a natural birth.

My mom is totally freaking out and is pushing for for an elective c due to the possibility of a cord prolapse though :(  I should have known better than to even tell her.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

#8 of 16 Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splath View Post

Thank you for the supportive words :hug2.gif

They're going to do a follow up ultrasound in 3 weeks, but I really don't think I'll still be pregnant ;)  which was kind of the midwife's intent I think.  In the freaking out yesterday, I was kind of worried about my midwife, but in hindsight, I think she was just following the protocol she's bound to follow and will be an advocate for us and our desire for a natural birth.

My mom is totally freaking out and is pushing for for an elective c due to the possibility of a cord prolapse though :(  I should have known better than to even tell her.

After my scare last week, I keep having these horrible daydreams/worst case scenarios running through my head...the worst involves me and the baby dying as I hemorage at home as we wait for an ambulance!  It makes me shudder to even think about it.  There is a risk of this happening, of course; but I keep telling myself, and DH knows the statistics and agrees with me, that the only way to completely prevent that from happening is to schedule a C section for like, tomorrow.  And there are still way, way, way more risks with a c section than with a natural vaginal delivery for me.  Not everything can be controlled; the only thing we can do is be well-informed and calm!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#9 of 16 Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM

A cord issue is my biggest fear. But, cord prolapses, as scary as they are, is a pretty rare occurrence:

From this site: http://www.uptodate.com/patients/content/topic.do?topicKey=~MGMIBHdD8Z/0HS

Quote:

INCIDENCE

The incidence of UCP ranges from 0.14 to 0.62 percent and has not changed in years [1]. However, perinatal mortality related to UCP, which was as high as 375 per 1000 births in the early 1900s, has fallen to between 36 and 162 per 1000 births within the past few decades [2]. This decline is likely secondary to significant improvements in neonatal intensive care and immediate delivery by cesarean birth once cord prolapse is diagnosed.

Those stats are definitely in your favor.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#10 of 16 Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Try to stay positive. I had lots of extra fluid with my first which I believe was undiagnosed GD but everything turned out fine and DS was really healthy.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#11 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 AM

So, not to downplay what's going on, but I had my 37 week appt. last week and was also measuring 42 cm with a lot of extra fluid.  The midwife thought nothing of it- no ordering ultrasounds, etc.  Of course, this is normal for me and has happened with healthy babies as well as my baby who had birth defects and passed away.  I don't think this is a reason to freak out.  A lot of babies measure big at the end- that means (usually) they are bigger babies.  Extra fluid is not necessarily a cause for concern, just extra fluid.

I wouldn't do anything rash- just tell your mom everything is fine at your next appt.  That's what I do unless there is a reason to tell her.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#12 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Well my midwife just called me and after speaking to the OBs in the practice, she no longer feels I am a good candidate for a VBAC.  I feel like throwing up.  This is the thing that has kept me positive since dd's birth ~ going for a successful VBAC and now it's being taken away. 

#13 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Update above.  Obviously I don't understand the editing anymore on here eyesroll.gif

#14 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Oh no, I'm so sorry. That really, really sucks.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#15 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm sorry.   Can you get another opinion?

#16 of 16 Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 AM

DDCC - Couldn't read and not respond.  That sucks so bad!  I am sorry. Still, your opportunity to VBAC isn't being taken away.  Only your opportunity to VBAC with that care provider.  Are there any other providers in your area that would be willing to meet with you?  Would you consider UBAC?

Hugs to you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page