oh, names! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 12-06-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

So, this kid could appear at any time now, and although I'm not of the "we must have a name before birth!" sort, I would like to have a general idea going in to this! We mostly have our girl picks down to three, although we're still stuck for middle names (ah!). We need something half "ordinary", cause our naming theory is to give one less common and one more common.

But boys, oh, boys!

The top boy pick is Eamon (this has been our boy pick for a couple of years now, so maybe I'm just tired of it and that's why I'm not as in love with it as I once was?!). After that come Nathaniel and Luka, neither of which we are completely enamored with. I like them, and Luka has a lot of meaning, but DH is not sold on either, and I'm not super excited about either of them either. We actually have middle names for the boys. Depending on what sounds best, it'll be either Luke or Joel. Daniel is a possibility if something with a few more syllables is needed.

We're looking for something a little less "ordinary" than Nathaniel. DD is Maren, and our other girl picks are Anaiah, Verity and Zara. We really like the sound of Soren and Xavier for a boy, but it they have crummy meanings.

It's really important to me that if the name doesn't have a strong history to it (like, Luka is for my dad, and Verity is a family name on my mom's side), that it have a meaning that we love. My parents gave me a name they just randomly picked, which has an awful meaning, and no personal meaning to them. I've always disliked it, and would have a much easier time using it if it actually had meaning to it. I go by something else, and have for many, many years. I would like our kids to like their names, or at least respect why they have them!

All that to say, does anyone have any name suggestions for a cranky, tired, slightly panicked mama? Boy names especially, but middles for girls too.

For greater things are yet to come...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 12-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hate naming things, especially babies. And I am really critical on names. I have to bite my tongue/fingers all. the. time. I HATE overly unique names, names that are spelled goofy, and names I can't pronounce.

That being said, I am sure you guys will pick something that suits your little uterine inhabitant perfectly.

Odd-ish names I like for girls:

Hazel

Dawn

Autumn

Noelle

I love Joel and Luka...

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#3 of 9 Old 12-06-2010, 05:17 PM

I won't be any help because we don't have names either and nothing is tickling our fancy in the least. I hate the thought of naming this baby something we aren't in love with... hoping something just fits (and that dh and I agree!) when we see him!

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#4 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 AM

I can relate, our guy was due 4 days ago and we've waffled back and forth on everything. The more unusual names, we can't agree on, though I really liked Reid or Graham (baby will have very long last name). middle name will be Peter after my brother. We are now at Nathan or Benjamin with dh leaning towards Ben, although last week, we had decided on Nathan. We had wanted to avoid top 50, but what can you do. One other name that we had liked, lucas, is now #10 for 2010! It's crazy how group think happens with these naming trends, pretty crazy. So, I am resigned to loving the name once our little guy arrives because it is his name. 

I probably wouldn't have so many problems naming a boy, but we have 8 nephews between the two of us, 

Brett, Aiden, Evan, Emmett, Desmond, Daniel, Tyler and clayton as well as numerous cousins and friends with boys, that its' been very hard to come up with something. Ben is one of my cousin's sons names too, but they live many states away, so it doesn't matter too much. 

We did like cole, but Cole peter sounds too much like Cole porter. I was open to changing the middle name too, but my brother was actually in an accident in Afghanistan a week and a half ago, an IEd hit his vehicle. he's doing well, has a bad concussion and will be sent back to the states. But, with an injury like only a short time before nephew's due date it seems even more fitting to give the baby his name as a middle name. So short story long, I can relate, but am probably not much help. I do like your name choices though!

#5 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 AM

If not Luka, then Luca? I think it is a lovely sounding name and written with C is just perfect! (But then, I'm biased). We have had loads of people say what a beautiful name. "Bearer of light" - nice meaning too. Sounds good in most languages I reckon, and easy to pronounce. You would still be honouring your Dad.

Other boys names - Samuel, Tomas, Liam.

Girls names: If my first born had been a girl I would have called her Laura and if my second had been a girl: Nina.

#6 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Face View Post

I won't be any help because we don't have names either and nothing is tickling our fancy in the least. I hate the thought of naming this baby something we aren't in love with... hoping something just fits (and that dh and I agree!) when we see him!

EXACTLY!!!  I have *no* ideas for either gender and I really, really hope I get some inspiration from the baby about what it's name is supposed to be.

#7 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 AM

I think that Noelle and Autumn for a girl, as a PP said, are beauiful, unique, but not completely out there names.  :-)

Boys, I think, are tougher to name!  I personally like the name Nathan better than Nathaniel.  How about Jesse?  Corbin?  Those are unique, but still easy to pronounce and spell. 

Good luck!  We FINALLY decided on names last week, and it was a great relief to me!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#8 of 9 Old 12-09-2010, 11:18 AM

I probably won't be a lot of help, as we are struggling to agree on names, and find something that we both really like. Middle names we haven't even really thought of much. For a boy, I like Julian, Simon, and Liam. For a girl, my favorite is Annika. I also like Sophie or Sophia and Theresa. DH really wants to use Autumn for a girl and he likes Gideon for a boy. While I agree that Gideon is more unusual (which we are going for, not really rare or hard to pronounce or spell, but different enough that their name isn't everywhere, and probably a more common middle name. Anyway, I can't decide if I like Gideon, to me it sounds very old fashioned, like something from the middle ages, or a name in a fairy tale, although I know it it a biblical name. I've never known or heard of anyone named Gideon. Our son's name is Milo, which DH suggested, and I wasn't sure I liked it either, but it grew on me during the course of pregnancy, and when he was born it seemed to fit him perfectly. Maybe when we see this baby we will have an idea.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#9 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Verity was on my short list for girls- love it! Our choice for a middle name with it was Jane, so Verity Jane N. 

I agree with pp- boy names are more difficult! My personal fave boy name right now is Henry, but I know it's popular. I do like your boy picks- esp. Luka.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page