for those of you inserting EPO capsules - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found out about Evening Primrose Oil from an earlier thread on here and it piqued my interest, so this week @ 37 weeks I started inserting one capsule at night, plus I take 2 orally (one morning, one night).

I hope this isn't TMI but I wake up and my pajama pants are literally covered in dried-up goo at the crotch area...I'm assuming from the gelatin casing of the capsule that dissolves and perhaps from the oil as well? It just seems to ooze right out of me, even if I insert it when I'm already in bed lying down. I'm wondering if there is really any point to this if it just kind of...er, flows right out. Does this happen to you all and is there a chance that any of the oil is reaching my cervix at all?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM

How far are you inserting?  I insert 2 at night - FAAAAAARRR up.  As far as I can possibly reach.  I do wear a cloth pantyliner to bed and it's wet when I wake up in the morning, but I'm assuming a good deal of the oil got to my cervix.  :) 

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'd like to think I'm pushing them pretty far up there but the issue I've been having for most of this pregnancy (especially recently) is that my baby is SO LOW. My husband and I can't even DTD b/c recently he can only go so far in before he can't anymore!! ROTFLMAO.gifRidiculous. It's like a brick-walled dead end in there or something. So that could be the problem. Maybe I should try a pantyliner.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM

That's probably why.  I have plenty of room for it to absorb, but if you can only push it up so far, there isn't as much room.  *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHcj2008 View Post

Well, I'd like to think I'm pushing them pretty far up there but the issue I've been having for most of this pregnancy (especially recently) is that my baby is SO LOW. My husband and I can't even DTD b/c recently he can only go so far in before he can't anymore!! ROTFLMAO.gifRidiculous. It's like a brick-walled dead end in there or something. So that could be the problem. Maybe I should try a pantyliner.

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Do you think there's a point in me inserting them then?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Considering doing this too. I thought I would cut the tip a bit and then insert, so at least I know some of the oil is getting out. Would that work?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:20 PM

I inserted mine the other night and laid down.  About 5min later I felt like they had shifted or something and went to push them back up - they were COMPLETELY disolved.  So, I'm assuming cutting the tip off isn't necessary (I don't puncture or cut or anything - just insert them whole). 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellnurse View Post

Considering doing this too. I thought I would cut the tip a bit and then insert, so at least I know some of the oil is getting out. Would that work?

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Old 12-09-2010, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

yeahthat.gif

Same thing happens to me. It dissolves almost immediately because if I get up to use the bathroom I feel it move down, and when I try to push it back up and it is not really a solid capsule at all anymore.

I tried just wearing underwear to bed last night (i usually don't and just wear pajama pants or whatever) and it seemed to contain the "ooze" a little more. I'm hoping at least something is hitting my cervix. There is no really no way to tell, so I guess I'll keep it up and hope it is doing something!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM

I usually just find what I assume is the capsule, mostly dissolved, the next morning looking like a glob of mucus. Maybe it's not the capsule. I also realized that this bottle of EPO smells horrific! It must be rancid yes? It's not due to expire till 2014.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Mine smells too!  The last bottle I had didn't, it was a different brand.  This one smells like funky chicken grease.  Seriously.  What the heck is that about???

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 AM

I bought another bottle of a different brand and it still has a smell but not as repulsive as the first bottle. I think it was rancid and won't be using it. I've also read that borage oil actually has more of the important ingredient than EPO. I wonder why most people don't use borage oil then.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 AM

I used borage oil during my first pregnancy, borage and EPO at my midwives suggestion.  Went into labor 4 cm dilated as a first time mom, but didn't have much effacement and baby was high. Ended up having a long labor, a transfer and my son was born by c section. Anyway, I don't know what my cervix would have done without it, but dilating was not a problem in my last labor. This time around, I haven't done any EPO, and no cervical checks (well, one last week) and I think unless I go really overdue, I prefer to just leave things alone.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM

I have a question. I'm 3cms dilated and 80% effaced as of yesterday (I don't normally consent to cervical checks prior to labor, but if you see my overdue thread, I'm just in an emotionally desperate place just now). Is there any point in taking EPO? Would it maybe help with the rest of effacement? I was quite surprised to only be at 3cm since i have had a TON of prodromal. In the past I've been at 5cm stretchy to 6 before labor even starting. I don't know why it's only 3 when I'm overdue, have given birth 5 times before and have been having tons of prodromal. Sigh.

Anyway, would EPO potentially help at this point? I never considered it before because my body is usually good at the prep part.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM

I don't think it would help much FSG, since you're already pretty well along. I had a history of having no cervical changes at all even at 41 weeks thus is why I began doing EPO in my last pg.

User Tag List