The Divine BABY M is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi ladies! 

So... I started having contractions at about 6am on 11/29. They were really mild (felt like PMS cramps) and ten-fifteen minutes apart. So I sent my DH to work, called my mother. I was too excited to sleep.

By the time DH got home, things had picked up speed. Contractions were 7-8 minutes apart. We took a walk. My parents came over. We danced, rocked, breathed through each  contraction. With each one, the twinges in my back got worse - it felt like someone was banging into my spine. We called the MW. 

We went to the hospital when I hit 3 minutes apart. When the MW checked me, I was approaching 4 cm. We walked more. We went back, got checked again. I hit 5 cm, and they admitted me. DH, my mom, and I got "comfortable" on the labor room. 

Three hours later (about 5 am, 11/30), I was checked again, and had no progress. The baby was turned wrong - she was facing my thigh instead of my back. No amount of position changes or attempts from the MW would convince her to turn. She gave me a 50/50 shot of a vaginal delivery. After a long talk, I agreed to Pitocin and an epidural. (I had a small breakdown here; the mix of exhaustion, fear of drugs, and concern for the baby got to me).  The midwife felt that stronger contractions would help her turn. I was prepped for the epi, and went to sleep. I didn't even feel them insert a Pitocin drip.

20 minutes later, an alarm rang. Through the fog, I saw about 15 people suddenly appear in my room. The baby's heartrate had crashed. They helped me move and change positions, but no luck. Her heartrate stayed down; it might've even continued to drop. To save her, I was rushed (literally had 15 people RUNNING me down a hallway) into the OR for an emergency c-section. I went under general anesthesia since there was no time for a local. She arrived at 7:12am on 11/30/10. 

I woke up in Recovery a few hours later. DH told me her birth stats, and that the pedatrician had pronounced her perfect. But my heartrate was ridiculously high. They gave me a transfusion since it appeared that I lost more blood than they thought. (It finally dropped to normal levels the next morning). I didn't get to see my baby for five hours, and finally DH begged a nurse to have her brought to me. My heartrate would spike each time I picked her up, and the hospital staff tried to take her away. I wouldn't let them. The staff finally caved and she stayed with me until I was brought to my room.

Recovery has been ok, but the c-section has made BFing challenging in a number of ways - mostly that my milk was delayed in coming in. I'm pumping and nursing and fighting for every ounce my baby gains. I refuse to give up this early in the game.

My beautiful baby girl is worth every rough moment, though. She's beautiful and silly and alert. She eats constantly, and I love watcing her nurse. She looks at me so intently, and I wonder what she thinks of all this. I can't believe she's mine. 

Welcome to the world, LILA BROOKE!

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

#2 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 03:07 PM

So happy for you and your baby

HUGS HUGS HUGS
WOOOHOOO

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010
#3 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM

Congratulations! I'm sorry you guys have had a rough start but I'm sure things will even out soon enough! Enjoy all the snuggle time - I can't wait to get to snuggle mine. :)

Peace and health, Jenny - Mama to my love 12/01, my lovely 7/04, and my beloved 10/06, and one angel. ****5****10****15***20****25****30****35***bellycast.gif40**
#4 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 05:46 PM

I am glad that things improved. Congrats to you and yours!

#5 of 13 Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 PM

_

Coral Jean
Mama to Dylan 12/20/08 and Milo 12/22/10 hbac.gif
#6 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 AM

Congratulations on your baby girl--I LOVE that name! I hope you have a smooth recovery and that breastfeeding gets easier.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#7 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Congrats and I agree, beautiful name!  What a scarey situation, I'm so glad you are both okay and I hope it just keeps getting better and better.  I totally agree with ICAN, they are a fabulous resource.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#8 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM

Congratulations on your daughter's birth! My daughter had to be born via c-section and while it certainly wasn't what I'd hoped or planned for, we were able to establish a strong nursing relationship and it sounds like you are doing everything you can to achieve that goal. Please allow yourself time to heal (i.e. extra snuggle time!). Best of luck during these first few weeks of motherhood :)

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#9 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations!  Sorry that your birth didn't go as you hoped, but glad that you and the little one are doing well. 

Good luck with the breastfeeding!  We have had some challenges there as well - Haven had a hard time bf in the beginning due to IV antibiotics/fluids for infection, but we are doing great now.  Don't give up!

Lori ~ wife to DH 5 yrs ~ DS born naturally 11.20.10!
#10 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Congratulations on your little girl! I love her name. What a rough birth though. You're so strong to get through that and have the determination to keep nursing! I hope the healing and nursing gets much easier.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#11 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 10:39 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter! I am sorry the birth was not what you had hoped for, I also ended up with an unexpected cesarean with my first. ICAN was a great help to me, check it out when you are ready.  Definitely stick with the nursing, you can do it! I struggled with nursing my son but persisted and he nursed for almost 3 years and I cherished our nursing relationship after all the hardships we overcame.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#12 of 13 Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 AM

Congratulations.  Love your DD's name.  Continue your hard work with breastfeeding it will pay off.  It is sometimes a rocky road but worth all the effort.  We are thinking of you.  Also Dr. jack newman is a great resource for breastfeeding.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#13 of 13 Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! I know I didn't post as often as many others, but always found the advice and support on these boards to be invaluable. I'll check out ICan  - it sounds like a great resource. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page