Postpartum Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I figure there are enough people on this side to start a chat about ourselves and our babies.  If you haven't already check out the birth wiki and update it with your baby's information.  I'm too busy to keep the thread going by myself and anyone can edit the wiki.

Anyway, James didn't watch to latch when he was first born.  He rooted around a little in the first hour but he refused to eat.  The first nurse I had kept telling me if he didn't eat she would have to give him a bottle so I had my DH run home and get my pump (thank God I bought one!) and we syringe fed him.  When he was about 18 hours old he started latching but he was really fussy about it.  Finally after about 36 hours my milk slowly started to come in (pretty early compared to what I was expecting) and he'd latch a little easier and easier.  Now at 5 days old he occasionally doesn't even fuss more than a second or two.  He definitely doesn't eat for the 15 minutes the nurses told me he 'should' but he spends most of the feed chugging.  Quick suck, swallow, quick suck, swallow... he nearly always chokes himself on the left side.  After visiting the hospital lactation consultants at his 2 day appointment I can see why.  6 ounces in like 20 minutes, it just poured out.

Sleep is getting harder to come by.  He does sleep most of the time but last night he was more fussy about eating so instead of the whole thing lasting 10-15 minutes a few times a night it felt like he spent a half hour of every hour popping on and off and crying.  Hopefully tonight will go back to the old pattern, lol.

I'm feeling a little better than I thought I would.  If it weren't for tailbone pain, my skid mark, and engorgement I'd feel pretty normal.  Looks like I have to get going though, somebody's hungry!

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 61 Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hey mamas! my ruby is 2 weeks old tomorrow and its been a whirlwind. i'm still healing up, doing better with everyday. the first week or so i felt like i was floating around on a cloud. now its starting to hit me though-i'm TIRED. trying to nap but some days it doesn't happen. i am nursing/changing her about every 2-3 hours at night. actually the 3 hour stretch feels like heaven compared to every hour or hour and half.

the other day my mom and i took my 2 year old and the babe out to get groceries, and WOW was it exhausting, but really, how does 1 mommy take 2 young kids shopping by herself? the baby in the car seat carrier in the cart, but where does 2 year old go? she is not trustworthy enough to walk, not quite yet. hmm. i guess hubby will be doing the shopping or staying home with the 2 year old while i go with baby.

my mom has been here for 2 weeks, and it has been nice to have help. she gets up everyday with my 2 year old so i can sleep in with baby. she also has been doing laundry and doing dishes. very nice. but gosh its becoming a little trying to have her around 24 hours a day. i don't want to complain about my help, but i am also craving some alone time. she will be here 1 more week, so i am trying to be grateful for the help while it lasts and not moan and groan too much.

ok, off to bed for another night of snuggling, nursing and changing.

i am anxious to hear about everyone else's experiences with their babes!

Mama to two girls, born 5/08 and 11/10.

#3 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 AM

10 days in here and the endorphins are still keeping the full force of the exhaustion away. I know it's coming though and I'm not looking forward to it. Eamon is a more eager nurser than my other son was, which is great. But he gulps it down and ends up with a lot of air, which makes for a lot of crying and burping. Particularly at night, joy. Hoping as he gets bigger and more practiced it'll get better.
Struggling a bit with my 3 year old's behavior. He's been great with his brother, but really defiant with me. My patience level is low, so being gentle with him is hard. So far we've both had a couple major meltdowns. Sigh.

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#4 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 10:53 AM

It sounds like you are doing a great job sticking with it- glad you stuck to your guns in the hospital! My first daughter had issues latching initially, too, and I know what it's like to have to fight against the bottle brigade.

You might also try pumping/hand expressing JUST for a minute or so on that side just to slow the flow down before you put him on. You don't want to encourage an oversupply, but it can help if you have a particularly strong let-down. 

Also, are you working on nursing in the side-laying position? Once you can get that down, nursing at night is soo much easier! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

I figure there are enough people on this side to start a chat about ourselves and our babies.  If you haven't already check out the birth wiki and update it with your baby's information.  I'm too busy to keep the thread going by myself and anyone can edit the wiki.

Anyway, James didn't watch to latch when he was first born.  He rooted around a little in the first hour but he refused to eat.  The first nurse I had kept telling me if he didn't eat she would have to give him a bottle so I had my DH run home and get my pump (thank God I bought one!) and we syringe fed him.  When he was about 18 hours old he started latching but he was really fussy about it.  Finally after about 36 hours my milk slowly started to come in (pretty early compared to what I was expecting) and he'd latch a little easier and easier.  Now at 5 days old he occasionally doesn't even fuss more than a second or two.  He definitely doesn't eat for the 15 minutes the nurses told me he 'should' but he spends most of the feed chugging.  Quick suck, swallow, quick suck, swallow... he nearly always chokes himself on the left side.  After visiting the hospital lactation consultants at his 2 day appointment I can see why.  6 ounces in like 20 minutes, it just poured out.

Sleep is getting harder to come by.  He does sleep most of the time but last night he was more fussy about eating so instead of the whole thing lasting 10-15 minutes a few times a night it felt like he spent a half hour of every hour popping on and off and crying.  Hopefully tonight will go back to the old pattern, lol.

I'm feeling a little better than I thought I would.  If it weren't for tailbone pain, my skid mark, and engorgement I'd feel pretty normal.  Looks like I have to get going though, somebody's hungry!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#5 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Glad to hear you're healing well! I love the name Ruby, btw.

I totally get about the grocery shopping thing. Please, please don't be offended- but I have to ask. You do mean you set the seat inside the cart (where groceries would go), right? 'Cause setting the seat in the children's seat area is super dangerous. There have been several threads in the "family safety" forum about moms whose car seats have fallen from carts and babies seriously injured. I myself saw a toddler bump his mama's cart, and the seat fell to the floor- it was awful. Anyway, enough of my soapbox. I would highly recommend putting the baby in a sling/wrap/carrier instead. 

I understand the wanting to have a little privacy thing, too. I don't like sharing June with anyone, even my own mom! shy.gifQuote:

Originally Posted by summersmama View Post

hey mamas! my ruby is 2 weeks old tomorrow and its been a whirlwind. i'm still healing up, doing better with everyday. the first week or so i felt like i was floating around on a cloud. now its starting to hit me though-i'm TIRED. trying to nap but some days it doesn't happen. i am nursing/changing her about every 2-3 hours at night. actually the 3 hour stretch feels like heaven compared to every hour or hour and half.

the other day my mom and i took my 2 year old and the babe out to get groceries, and WOW was it exhausting, but really, how does 1 mommy take 2 young kids shopping by herself? the baby in the car seat carrier in the cart, but where does 2 year old go? she is not trustworthy enough to walk, not quite yet. hmm. i guess hubby will be doing the shopping or staying home with the 2 year old while i go with baby.

my mom has been here for 2 weeks, and it has been nice to have help. she gets up everyday with my 2 year old so i can sleep in with baby. she also has been doing laundry and doing dishes. very nice. but gosh its becoming a little trying to have her around 24 hours a day. i don't want to complain about my help, but i am also craving some alone time. she will be here 1 more week, so i am trying to be grateful for the help while it lasts and not moan and groan too much.

ok, off to bed for another night of snuggling, nursing and changing.

i am anxious to hear about everyone else's experiences with their babes!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#6 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM

So happy to here Eamon is nursing well! It is very difficult to stay patient, esp. when you're trying to balance the needs of both kids. My older daughter is doing really well so far- I worry more about when this baby is older and mobile. Having a 15 mo running around and a newborn is tough enough- but have 2 mobile little kids? I have a feeling the tough part is coming! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholebreath View Post

10 days in here and the endorphins are still keeping the full force of the exhaustion away. I know it's coming though and I'm not looking forward to it. Eamon is a more eager nurser than my other son was, which is great. But he gulps it down and ends up with a lot of air, which makes for a lot of crying and burping. Particularly at night, joy. Hoping as he gets bigger and more practiced it'll get better.
Struggling a bit with my 3 year old's behavior. He's been great with his brother, but really defiant with me. My patience level is low, so being gentle with him is hard. So far we've both had a couple major meltdowns. Sigh.

#7 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM

NAK

Well, June is 5 days old today, and so far everything is going really well. I mean, I am of course pretty tired, but recovery this time has been so much quicker without any tearing, and with a newborn who is a wonderful nurser. For being tiny, June has a STRONG latch (she nursed within 10 minutes of being born) and nurses all. the. time. I can't wait until her 2-week appointment to see how much she's gained. Because my milk came in so quickly, she only lost 4 ounces or so. 

I can't believe how much I am in love with tandem nursing! I was a little nervous at first, but Lucy does great with sharing. I nurse them both at the same time a few times a day, but usually it's just one or the other. Lucy has dropped her bottles completely, which was what I was really hoping for. She goes down for bed/naps with little fuss after a good nursing session- and she's so happy to have milk again! Definitely makes the struggles with nursing through pregnancy worth it, and I really think it helps Lucy feel like she's still mama's baby, too. 

I CANNOT believe how much milk I have! I never totally lost my supply, and as soon as June was born, my supply was revived overnight. Even with 2 nurslings, they can't keep up. I was actually able to pump 20+ ounces of colostrum in the first 2 days! Crazy.  

sarahn4639 likes this.

#8 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 11:37 AM

uhhh...

ok i guess i was in the dark about this grocery cart thing. yes, i put the car seat in the kiddie seat on top of the cart. but my car seat snaps into the cart with a notch on the back of the seat. i thought this was safe?!

i do have several baby carriers (moby, ergo and bjorn) and will probably end up using these instead when i go shopping.

ein-glad you are doing well with your milk. i have a ton of milk, too! i think i need a bigger bra, AGAIN!

wholebreath-my babe seems really hiccupy and spits up way more than my first baby. its been a surprise to deal with. any tips for those uncomfortable hiccups? she only burps about 50% of the time.

#9 of 61 Old 12-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Not to be obvious, but are you sure that the seat is designed to snap into the cart? There are a handful that do. For the most part, though, the notch you're seeing is the where the seat snaps into the base in your car. Like I have a Graco SnugRide (one of the most popular) and it's definitely not designed to do that. Please don't think I'm being judgmental- I don't mean to be. guilty.gif Here's a link to a good thread (lots of info from car seat safety mamas):

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/878348/car-seats-and-shopping-carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersmama View Post

uhhh...

ok i guess i was in the dark about this grocery cart thing. yes, i put the car seat in the kiddie seat on top of the cart. but my car seat snaps into the cart with a notch on the back of the seat. i thought this was safe?!

i do have several baby carriers (moby, ergo and bjorn) and will probably end up using these instead when i go shopping.

ein-glad you are doing well with your milk. i have a ton of milk, too! i think i need a bigger bra, AGAIN!

wholebreath-my babe seems really hiccupy and spits up way more than my first baby. its been a surprise to deal with. any tips for those uncomfortable hiccups? she only burps about 50% of the time.

#10 of 61 Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM

thanks, ein! and i didn't take it the wrong way. i really had no idea, so thanks for the info! i plan on using my wrap for now when i go shopping. :)

#11 of 61 Old 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM

I'm finishing up day 3 already.  The newborn days go way too fast.

Yesterday was a tough day. My milk wasn't in and Alasdair was starving. He was constantly sucking hard to get supply going. I was extremely sleep deprived and in a lot of pain. My rhoids are really really bad this time. It's causing a lot of discomfort. My hormones are a bit messed up, I think because my labor was so fast I didn't get a chance to build up all those awesome endorphins etc. So I was hurting and he was constantly either screaming or sucking til I wanted to cry. And my after birth pains have made me feel like death. They're like active labor contractions, very very sore.

At about 5am this morning though, my milk started coming through and it's made a huge difference. It's in full now and I have a very content little baby swaddled next to me, gazing all around the room and burping. It's awesome. And I love the hormone rush from the nursing. I feel so much more peaceful and in love with my family and content. I'm in a good place.

Also, my placenta capsules arrived today and I started taking them. That should help a lot too.

So other than the rhoids and feeling pretty tired, I'm doing great just now. Enjoying my new little guy and loving having family bonding time with DH home.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#12 of 61 Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 PM

Having fairly easy days and rubbish nights around here. For whatever reason Eamon is really hard to settle after eating at night. Last night we were awake from 1:15 until almost 3am and then up again at 5am. Not sure if it's gas or getting used to the world or what, but it sucks. Makes it really hard to be patient with my 3 year old. His adjustment is manifesting as defiance and a lot of whining. It's driving me nuts! I'm dosing him up with Rescue Remedy, which seems to help, but it's still a struggle. Counting the days until DH is off for the holidays....

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#13 of 61 Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 PM
rad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Riordan is almost 4 days old. Hard to believe. Everything is going very well. My milk came in yesterday. So he seems much more content with a full belly now. He's nursing great. I'm feeling good too. My bleeding has slowed to almost nothing. Just some light pink spotting. If my hips weren't still aching so darn bad I'd feel back to normal again. The kids seem to have adjusted to him very well. They're all very in love with him. I'm kind of surprised my almost 3 yr old and 4 yr old took to him so well. I was figuring it'd be a much harder adjustment but they've just accepted that he's here. For the most part, life is very good right now. Quite a difference from where I was at this time last week.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#14 of 61 Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM

my 2.5 year old dd loves her new baby sister, loves to hold her, kiss her, etc. no aggression, bad feelings whatsoever. then the other day she peed on the baby's papison chair (she is running naked on her bottom so she can easily use the potty). hmmmm. seems to me like maybe a disguised form of displeasure with the babe? she has been so happy with her otherwise.

#15 of 61 Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Having fairly easy days and rubbish nights around here. For whatever reason Eamon is really hard to settle after eating at night. Last night we were awake from 1:15 until almost 3am and then up again at 5am. Not sure if it's gas or getting used to the world or what, but it sucks.

Mine does that too...  Last night wasn't as bad but there are hours in the middle of the night where he just won't go back to sleep no matter what we do.  I think I was able to keep the fussing down some by taking him to the potty whenever he woke (he normally poops for me after every nap) but it might have just been a coincidence.  I'm SO thankful for my DH right now too.  He'll rock the baby around for a while once I've fed him and start getting cranky.  Its a huge blessing that his paternity leave is going to run into their pre-deployment leave.  He just has to go in tomorrow to finish some paperwork.  I'm also super thankful for my mom who has been doing all the cleaning since Thanksgiving.  I'm starting to think I'm getting spoiled, lol.  Its going to seriously suck when they both leave and I'm home alone with the baby most of the day.

#16 of 61 Old 12-16-2010, 10:02 AM

Owen is four days old and doing great! He's a champion nurser, so much that I've got sore/cracked nipples...thank goodness for Lansinoh! I am on bed rest for the next two weeks to help with recovering from my post-partum hemorrhage. Thankfully, my parents have been helping a lot with my five year old so all I've had to do is take care of the baby, which is wonderful :) It has been unusually cold this week (and it's snowing as I type this), so I feel extra lucky that I don't have to leave the house...

My daughter is absolutely thrilled with her baby brother - she took photos of him to preschool to show her friends and she wants to snuggle him all the time.

My husband had to go back to work right away but he has some flexibility with his schedule - his office is five minutes from our house so he comes home to make lunch and he's been going in late, too. I wish he could be at home - I feel badly that he's missing out on parts of these first few days - but we knew it would be this way. At least he'll have two long weekends for Christmas and New Year's!

Two of my brothers will be home next week for Christmas (they live in Los Angeles), so I'm really looking forward to introducing them to their nephew!

We have his first check-up tomorrow afternoon - I'm looking forward to finding out how much weight he's gained (he's such a little peanut).

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#17 of 61 Old 12-21-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ahh!! I can't believe James is already 15 days old.  We had his two week appointment yesterday and he gained a FULL POUND since his 2 day appointment.  It feels like such a victory considering the early latch issues we had.  He's doing so wonderfully.  It would be great if he didn't fuss for an hour or more every night but it could be worse so I can't complain.

Me... I think I need a chiropractor.  Really bad.  My tailbone still hurts.  How long does lochia normally take?  Mine keeps going from red to brown to nothing back to red.  I also have this sinking feeling that maybe I'm going to be one of those really unlucky moms who gets their period back immediately even though they are exclusively breastfeeding.  I'm still not 'eager' but I've been thinking more about DTD than I did my entire pregnancy.  A big plus though is that as of today it hasn't been stinging when I pee anymore!  Hopefully it doesn't open back up.

#18 of 61 Old 12-21-2010, 10:43 PM

WOA if your bleeding goes away and comes back it means you've done too much activity. Take it easy! I'm having a very hard time staying off my feet too. I feel very energetic. Today I did a bunch of baking and cleaning and ended up increasing my bleeding pretty immediately. Made myself stay on the couch the whole evening but it was boring!

I feel so fortunate so far that DS is sleeping all night, just nursing a couple times and getting a diaper change. He's really gotten the hang of nursing now. No crankyness yet! But it's just day 5.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#19 of 61 Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeofAnt View Post

Ahh!! I can't believe James is already 15 days old.  We had his two week appointment yesterday and he gained a FULL POUND since his 2 day appointment.  It feels like such a victory considering the early latch issues we had.  He's doing so wonderfully.  It would be great if he didn't fuss for an hour or more every night but it could be worse so I can't complain.

Me... I think I need a chiropractor.  Really bad.  My tailbone still hurts.  How long does lochia normally take?  Mine keeps going from red to brown to nothing back to red.  I also have this sinking feeling that maybe I'm going to be one of those really unlucky moms who gets their period back immediately even though they are exclusively breastfeeding.  I'm still not 'eager' but I've been thinking more about DTD than I did my entire pregnancy.  A big plus though is that as of today it hasn't been stinging when I pee anymore!  Hopefully it doesn't open back up.

I know that I bled for a LONG time with DD#1...several weeks. I was scared because it seemed longer than "normal," but everyone is different. There are a lot of factors involved- how much blood you lost during the delivery, for example. Activity plays a role, too- but I was much better about resting with DD#1 than I am this time around (hard to take it easy with another little one around!), and I'm about done already this time. So each woman is different and each pregnancy is different in this regard. 

And I second the need for a chiropractor! I really need to go...my pelvis is all out of whack. But I hate to leave home with a newborn, KWIM? 

#20 of 61 Old 12-22-2010, 06:21 AM

I can finally join this chat :)  Adelaide is SUCH a different baby than her sister ~ almost no crying unless she's REALLY mad, and she is actually sleeping.  It's only day 6, so I hope it keeps up.  Her sister was a huge fuss-butt and wanted to eat all day and night long.  It's so weird having a baby that actually sleeps LOL.  She is a great nurser though and is getting tons of milk. 

I think I might have some sort of prolapse though, is anyone else experiencing anything like that?  I have a bit of that "sitting on a golf ball" feeling by the end of the day, but I have horrible horrible hemorrhoids, too so it could be partly that...  of course I did push for almost 6 hours, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised...

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#21 of 61 Old 12-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Is anyone else having a really hard time? Johannes is 10 days old and breastfeeding is going pretty bad. He has a really hard time latching on, and then when he does latch he stops sucking within a couple of minutes, max. Sometimes I can wake him up, but then he just stops sucking again and we repeat the whole cycle. He has never actually finished a feeding in his life; he is just on and off constantly and his belly never gets full. I am pumping as well to try to maintain supply, but it is almost impossible to find 20 minutes when he will actually let me put him down so that I can pump. The pediatrician is having me give him a couple of ounces of formula a day, which I hate but I am learning to live with because I know that he's not getting enough otherwise.

I am finding the rest of his care to be pretty easy, but feeding him is so all-consuming and problematic that it's making the whole newborn experience pretty miserable. I really want to be able to enjoy him, but I am so frustrated all the time.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#22 of 61 Old 12-24-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraFlood View Post

Is anyone else having a really hard time? Johannes is 10 days old and breastfeeding is going pretty bad. He has a really hard time latching on, and then when he does latch he stops sucking within a couple of minutes, max. Sometimes I can wake him up, but then he just stops sucking again and we repeat the whole cycle. He has never actually finished a feeding in his life; he is just on and off constantly and his belly never gets full. I am pumping as well to try to maintain supply, but it is almost impossible to find 20 minutes when he will actually let me put him down so that I can pump. The pediatrician is having me give him a couple of ounces of formula a day, which I hate but I am learning to live with because I know that he's not getting enough otherwise.

I am finding the rest of his care to be pretty easy, but feeding him is so all-consuming and problematic that it's making the whole newborn experience pretty miserable. I really want to be able to enjoy him, but I am so frustrated all the time.

Breastfeeding can be very frustrating in the beginning. Both my kids have been "snackers"- they nurse, fall asleep, wake up, nurse again, repeat. What I've found helps is having a glass of water and my computer/a good book handy. I've accepted that most of my day is taken up by nursing, so I find things to help make the time go a little more quickly. Also, do you have an electric pump? I often pump on one side while I nurse on the other. A little tricky, but once you get the hang of it it works. Also, have you tried changing his diaper in the middle of a feeding? Sometimes that helps with waking them up. 

But yeah, breastfeeding IS a lot of work- very rewarding work, but work nonetheless. The first weeks are rough for a lot of mamas- after DD#1, I expected it to be. I promise it gets easier- it just takes a while to establish the breastfeeding relationship. Once you two get in synch, you'll treasure the one on one time instead of feeling bad. 

Have you talked to anyone (a lactation counselor?) besides the pediatrician? Have you weighed him before and after feedings to see how much he's actually getting? Pediatricians get remarkably little education in breastfeeding- I'd be sure to talk to a lactation consultant as well. 

Fat Scottish Gal likes this.

#23 of 61 Old 12-25-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm having very similar issues. Jasper is sleepy all the time that I have to wake him up for feedings. I'm meant to be feeding him every 2 hrs because he had a bit of jaundice at 5/6 days (not enough to warrant light therapy). I definitely have an oversupply, so feeding him every 2 hrs is for my sake as well, or else my breasts get SO full and hard and uncomfortable and I am frankly terrified of plugged ducts/mastitis.

The two best ways I've found to wake him up are changing his diaper, like ein328 said (he hates it, it is guaranteed to make him angry, which is a good thing in this case) or wetting a washcloth with some cold water and wiping it over his face and feet. Kind of mean? Probably, but it works, and no long-term harm done. Last night nothing worked, not even the cold cloth, or taking him out onto the porch in the cold air, or blowing in his face, or ....I was in so much pain!

It's been so tough to find a lactation consultant because of the holidays. I finally got a hold of one yesterday and she's going to come over tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait, I feel like I'm going to learn so much. His latch definitely also has issues -- he grinds up my nipples. It's so painful I have actually found myself moaning (labor-style) involuntarily through feedings. This breastfeeding thing is hard!!

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#24 of 61 Old 12-25-2010, 10:55 AM

It is hard at first.  But honestly, so is anything worthwhile to learn.  Remember, you are both learning a new skill :)

Last time for me was so hard, but now, things are soooo much easier with #2.  He is not opening his mouth very wide, like his brother, but at least I know what I need to do.  And, I can assess his latch much better.  I am a LLL leader and all my other co-leaders are also IBCLCs, so I feel like I have an army to help if I need it :)  My son is a bit jaundiced but that is to be expected since he is O+ and I am A-.  I had to get the Rhogam shot (poo) and try to make sure this guy is eating as much as possible.  But he did gain 3 oz in 2 days so the pediatrician is not worried that he is getting enough.  And thank goodness my toddler does not mind helping out with any engorgement!

Now, if my dang sitz bath herbs would come, I would be so happy.  As of now, they are still not here (I ordered them 9 days ago).  Come to find out, there are now 3 packages that should be here that are not (1 is Christmas gifts from my uncle and aunt).  I am a bit annoyed as the mail lady has been such a flake on some things (like she won't pick up any outgoing mail if there is no mail coming to us).  I have a second degree tear and a labial tear and they still hurt after 5 days.  Like "sitting is too painful and I am still hanging out in bed" kinda hurt.  DH went and got me more cold peri packs.  I really want to get around more and go to the main level more.  But my midwives want me to go up and down once.  Argh.  Glad my sister is coming tomorrow because DH is exhausted.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#25 of 61 Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post

It is hard at first.  But honestly, so is anything worthwhile to learn.  Remember, you are both learning a new skill :)

Last time for me was so hard, but now, things are soooo much easier with #2.  He is not opening his mouth very wide, like his brother, but at least I know what I need to do.  And, I can assess his latch much better.  I am a LLL leader and all my other co-leaders are also IBCLCs, so I feel like I have an army to help if I need it :)  My son is a bit jaundiced but that is to be expected since he is O+ and I am A-.  I had to get the Rhogam shot (poo) and try to make sure this guy is eating as much as possible.  But he did gain 3 oz in 2 days so the pediatrician is not worried that he is getting enough.  And thank goodness my toddler does not mind helping out with any engorgement!

Now, if my dang sitz bath herbs would come, I would be so happy.  As of now, they are still not here (I ordered them 9 days ago).  Come to find out, there are now 3 packages that should be here that are not (1 is Christmas gifts from my uncle and aunt).  I am a bit annoyed as the mail lady has been such a flake on some things (like she won't pick up any outgoing mail if there is no mail coming to us).  I have a second degree tear and a labial tear and they still hurt after 5 days.  Like "sitting is too painful and I am still hanging out in bed" kinda hurt.  DH went and got me more cold peri packs.  I really want to get around more and go to the main level more.  But my midwives want me to go up and down once.  Argh.  Glad my sister is coming tomorrow because DH is exhausted.

Yay for nursing toddlers! My 15 mo is wayyyy more effective than the pump. I have an incredible oversupply, though. I don't mind it because I need to freeze for when I go back to work...right now I'm nursing DD#1 and DD#2, plus pumping 15-20 extra ounces. Oh well- more to share- even if I feel like a Holstein right now. 

I agree- nursing #2 is so much easier. I think it helps when you're more confident about your body and more relaxed- baby picks up on that. 

I'm sorry it's taking so long for your sitz bath herbs. Last time I had a 2nd degree-tear, so I was all prepared this time....and no tear! Go figure. Have you tried soaking pads in witch hazel and freezing them? Really helps. 

#26 of 61 Old 12-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View PostHave you tried soaking pads in witch hazel and freezing them? Really helps.

Seconding this--I had a second degree tear that likes to make its presence known once in a while, and frozen witch hazel pads are like instant relief. They're even better than the cold packs I got in the hospital.

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#27 of 61 Old 12-25-2010, 12:22 PM

I didn't even have a tear and I still used the frozen witch hazel pads. Great for the skidmarks, general soreness, and also hemorrhoids, if you're lucky enough to have to deal with that! I just wish I could wear them walking around during the day -- I'm using my cloth pads so obviously as they unfreeze they leave a big wet spot on whatever I'm wearing, so I mostly use them when I lie down in bed at night. I guess I could go out and buy a pack of maxipads for during the day...

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#28 of 61 Old 12-25-2010, 03:50 PM

I was putting witch hazel in my peri bottle and it seemed to sting a lot.  Come to find out, my witch hazel also has 14% alcohol in it.  Ouch!  And with today being Christmas, nothing was open.  I may be able to get DH to run to Whole Foods tomorrow for some herbs to tide me over.  Or, depending on when my friend gets back in town, she could get me some leftovers she had.  Argh.  I am irritated about this.

I just want to be able to sit normally without too much irritation.  That's it.  It can be sore, that is fine. 

Although, I still have to say this is MUCH better than my c-section recovery!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#29 of 61 Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 AM

Been through the ringer a bit this week. Eamon was diagnosed with silent reflux Monday. Finding out why he was screaming and writhing after each feeding was good, but U wanted to try some natural ways to treat it before going the medication route. Unfortunately with the holidays I couldn't get in to see any if the practioners I wanted to, and I didn't want him to be in pain until after the New year, so Zantac it is. Seems to be helping, but we still have to hold him upright after each feeding (and this kid likes to eat!) and he really isn't sleeping anywhere but on one of our chests. That's when he's sleeping at night at all. I keep staring at the clock at 4:30am thinking "only 1.5 hours until we start our day with Oliver" I have no idea how I'm going to manage by myself when all the help goes home.

And I am never having a baby at Christmas time again. It is just too much.

#30 of 61 Old 12-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Oh, you POOR thing!  I'm sooo sorry you are going through so much!  My DS had reflux and the Zantac really did help.  It took a good week or so to seem to fully do the trick, but that should really help and it won't be so daunting to think about having to take care of the two kids after your help leaves.  Hang in there, Mama!  ((HUGS))

Quote:

Been through the ringer a bit this week. Eamon was diagnosed with silent reflux Monday. Finding out why he was screaming and writhing after each feeding was good, but U wanted to try some natural ways to treat it before going the medication route. Unfortunately with the holidays I couldn't get in to see any if the practioners I wanted to, and I didn't want him to be in pain until after the New year, so Zantac it is. Seems to be helping, but we still have to hold him upright after each feeding (and this kid likes to eat!) and he really isn't sleeping anywhere but on one of our chests. That's when he's sleeping at night at all. I keep staring at the clock at 4:30am thinking "only 1.5 hours until we start our day with Oliver" I have no idea how I'm going to manage by myself when all the help goes home.

And I am never having a baby at Christmas time again. It is just too much.

I'm doing great!  And I LOVE having a winter baby!  Yes, it's more bundling but there's something about it I just love.  Christmastime is such a magical time, birth and babies just seem to fit! 

Avonlea turned 2wks on Friday.  We had a 6-day NICU stay for her that totally sucked but she's home now and doing great.  She nurses like a champ - and I totally agree with whoever said that it's easier with subsequent babies because you are confident in your body and more relaxed.  There have been a few times that I've worried maybe she wasn't getting enough but quickly was able to get myself back on track knowing that she'd let us know if she was still hungry and obviously she's getting what she needs from me.  She's a really a great sleeper.  She sleeps 6hrs at night most nights and naps a ton during the day.  She's really a joy to have.  Just today she stared to 'coo' a bit while looking around this morning.  It seems early to me for that?  We'll see if it was a one-time thing. 

Also, I seem to be getting some sort of sex drive back.  Maybe because I'm actually getting sleep?  That seems to be a greater correlation for me than breastfeeding...

My parents took my 2 big kids to Virginia and North Carolina for the week to visit my extended family and DH's parents/sister.  It's been AMAZING to have this babymooning time with Avonlea!  And to really be able to reconnect with DH.  I'm so grateful for this time to just soak up the newborn moments while I can!  :)  Life is good! 

Lastly, am I the only loony person thinking about the idea of another baby in the future?  I'm totally content at this moment and wouldn't want another until Avonlea was closer to 2.5 but I've been thinking a lot about how I don't feel like we're 'done'.  Something has to be wrong with me! 

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page