Sick and Pregnant - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Ok, seems like there are a lot of us who are sick and still pregnant.  So, I just want to whine.

I have a sinus infection.  I am on round #2 of the zpack.  Had a doctor today give me a different prescription (she is my thyroid doc and was saying if I did not get over the sinus infection with the first round, then I probably wouldn't with the second).  But then, noticed that the bottle said not to take while pregnant and apparently a side effect is severe jaundice in a newborn if taken near term.  I am 38 weeks today.  No thanks......

At least my sinuses only kinda hurt which last night, they were seriously hurting.  More neti pot, more showers with steam, and hopefully more rest.

Argh.  I am on Day #8 of being sick.  At least DS is feeling better.  But then, now he has a ton of energy and I want to just curl up on the couch and watch TV.  And he does not like my TV choices and freaks out that he can't watch "his" movies.  Good grief.

Oh, baby, just hold on until Mama is well and feels better and give the house one good cleaning before you show up!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm so sorry. That sounds rough. I am grumpy just being overdue and large, can't imagine being sick on top of it. Do you have some help with your son? DH is sick, has an upset stomach and diarrhea, so as much as I want this baby out, I want him to feel normal again too. I hope you feel better soon!

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#3 of 13 Old 12-14-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm on my 3rd week of being sick.  I'm coughing less and not wetting my pants every time.  So that is a good thing.

Now it has gotten to the point that if I'm too active after eating or go from cold to hot (within 5-6 hours) I start coughing which leads to vomiting.  Luckily it doesn't happen all the time, but usually once a day.  I'm sick of it. 

The little one has been very active this past week.  My belly looks like an alien is trying to escape.  I think she is part of the reason for the vomiting.

I'm also 38 weeks today.  I'm ready for her to come out, just hoping she will make an appearance before the new year.

#4 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

When DH is home, he is helping out with DS.  And he took the whole next week off from work, so there is plenty of time for him to take DS out and maybe I can get some actual nesting done (because I am assuming I will be well by then).  My sinuses are definitely better, I just need more time to kick this.  I really want a solstice baby so hopefully I will start getting better and I can do some things to encourage this baby to come out.  He needs to come out this year so I don't have to pay a $1500 deductible for the birth.  Argh.

And I am not going out anymore.  Period.  DS can go to preschool and that is it (only one more class this year).  I can't deal with being sick during labor.

Good news is that my midwife and doula are doing a meet and greet tomorrow and the midwife is bringing the tub.  That makes things seem more real.  I may have her to an exam so I can figure out where my cervix is so I can put the EPO pills in the right spot.  I tried feeling around and what I think *may* be my cervix is seriously, seriously low.  So, I don't know......

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#5 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM

I know its wrong of me, but I am so reassured to hear that I am not alone in this.  Pants wetting and vomitting from the coughing, OMG, its awful.  I've been sick 2 weeks now, and starting to get better.  Not sure how long that will take though...  I have asthma and when I get stuff in my lungs, its hard to recover.  I had a midwife appointment yesterday, and told her that if it had been on Monday, I would have had to cancel because I was too exhausted to safely drive. 

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
#6 of 13 Old 12-15-2010, 02:42 PM

I find that's it's actually super common for women to get sick at the end of pregnancy.  the theory goes that it's so that the mother is up to date on all the latest immunities so the new baby is protected when it's born.  Also, it is uncommon for a woman to go into labor while sick.  Her body wants to be healthy and well nourished and rested to start the labor journey.  I hope this is the case for all of us!!!

We had a terrible stomach bug at 37 weeks pregnant (horrible!!) and DH had a sinus infection/head cold as well that I was grateful to be exposed to but not actually be infected by!  I hope everyone is feeling better soon, being super pregnant and sick is just miserable!  :(

#7 of 13 Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post

I find that's it's actually super common for women to get sick at the end of pregnancy.  the theory goes that it's so that the mother is up to date on all the latest immunities so the new baby is protected when it's born.  Also, it is uncommon for a woman to go into labor while sick.  Her body wants to be healthy and well nourished and rested to start the labor journey.  I hope this is the case for all of us!!!

We had a terrible stomach bug at 37 weeks pregnant (horrible!!) and DH had a sinus infection/head cold as well that I was grateful to be exposed to but not actually be infected by!  I hope everyone is feeling better soon, being super pregnant and sick is just miserable!  :(

Seriously?  Well that just plain sucks.  I am tired of not being able to breathe and coughing so dang much :(  Plus, I would like this baby to be born sooner rather than later.  This cold seems to be hanging on (I think this is the 10th day of this madness).  Argh.

I hope I am well by the time I deliver though, that would be super nice!

#8 of 13 Old 12-17-2010, 07:05 AM

Thinking of all of you - your illnesses sound awful! I hope you are doing better and that your babies arrive soon :)

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#9 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 03:20 PM
CSS

I'm almost 41 weeks with a sinus infection-I think that I'm defeating it because my headache from the last week and a half is finally almost gone.  I think the chiropractor helped on Monday, but the sinus bit still needed more help with the neti pot. 

Connie-mom of DS 7, DD 5, DD 3, and new one coming in December
#10 of 13 Old 12-18-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Argh.  I think I am on day 11 or 12 (I forget now).  I am definitely better.  I am just hoping that I can get some good sleep in the next few days so that this little one can go ahead and come.  And, now DH is home until January, so I don't have to be on top of everything for DS (and they can go do something while I rest - or go get a pedi or something).

I just hope I am not the last mama who has her baby in this DDC (even though I am due right at the end :).

#11 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

And now I have oral thrush.  Yeah.  Super.  Great.

2 rounds of antibiotics probably did it.  I am kinda glad it is not vaginal, but the poor doc at urgent care freaked out thinking I may be HIV positive and asked for a test.  Sure.  I know I am not since I have had that test NUMEROUS times for work, milk banking, pregnancy, etc.  But go ahead, knock yourself out.

But my mouth hurts :(  Feels like I burned my entire mouth on a hot beverage.  CVS is ordering me some gention violet and the doc gave me a nystatin rinse, so hopefully between the two, we can knock this out quick.  That, and I need to put some GV in my son's mouth since he was drinking after me last night (and he gets yeasty after antibiotics which he took recently too).

Argh.  Seriously, argh.  I am so freaking frustrated right now, it is not even funny.  We got sick on 12/7.  This is crazy.  I am so disappointed because I had all these plans on things to do with DS during his last few weeks as an only.  And now, I am fighting to get well before I have the next one.  I don't want to be one of those crazy moms who never leave the house because they are worried about getting sick, but we have gotten sick at least once a month since moving.  I am beyond frustrated with this.

#12 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Oh no!  That's terrible!  I hope it passes quickly and you are feeling spectacular before the baby arrives!!

I'm due tomorrow and am feeling pretty good other than some stuffiness but that could be the winter or just pregnancy inflamation.  I hope everyone else is feeling better too!

#13 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbergirl View Post

Argh.  I think I am on day 11 or 12 (I forget now).  I am definitely better.  I am just hoping that I can get some good sleep in the next few days so that this little one can go ahead and come.  And, now DH is home until January, so I don't have to be on top of everything for DS (and they can go do something while I rest - or go get a pedi or something).

I just hope I am not the last mama who has her baby in this DDC (even though I am due right at the end :).

we are due on the same day, and I just got the cold from DH. I think it's day 2 or something. I don't really know. My sister's MW told her that we will probably not go into labor when we are sick. So, it's 9 more days for us to cue ourselves and be well. I honestly cannot have the baby past my due date. I want my baby out now. But now that I am sick, i guess we can wait until I am feeling better before going into labor.

Hang in there.

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page