Miss Avonlea Noelle is here. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-14-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had an AMAZING homebirth and brought Avonlea Noelle into the world Friday, December 10 @ 7:38am.  7lbs12oz, 21.75inches.  She was born at 38w1d.  Unfortunately, though she was a term baby, her lungs were immature and we had to transport her to the hospital immediately via ambulance.  It's been a whirlwind to say the least.  She's still there (in the NICU).  She's made wonderful progress and I don't see any reason to not have her home in our arms as of this weekend or Monday at the latest but it's still been very hard.  I'm really trying to focus on what a wonderful, amazing birth and bonding experience DH and I had during my labor and her birth rather than how sad I am that she's in the hospital.   

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#2 of 15 Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
rad

Congrats! Welcome Avonlea!

I had the same thing happen with my 5th baby. His lungs just needed some more time and so we transferred him to the hospital after about 2 hours. It was tough for sure. I hope her stay is short and she's home in your arms soon. hug.gif

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#3 of 15 Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Congratulations! I am glad the birth was such a good experience. I am sorry she's in the hospital. That must be tough. I hope she comes home soon!

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#4 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM

I'm so happy you had an amazing birth and that it's able to help you get through this difficulty.  I am so sorry that Avonlea is needing the NICU.  I can not imagine how difficult this must be for you.  I will be thinking of you and hoping that she is home with you soon!!!!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#5 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM

Hoping she will be home soon, sending love your way, try to get rest. Look forward to hearing your story!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
#6 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 09:59 AM

Congrats on a wonderful birth and a perfect baby girl! I hope her lungs strengthen up real good and she can go home very soon.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#7 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 10:19 AM

Congratulations! My daughter was in the NICU for six days - I know how hard that can be and I'm sorry that you and your family are separated from her right now. If it's any consolation, I was still able to establish a strong nursing relationship with her and now she's a thriving five year old :)

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!
#8 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Congratulations on the awesome birth and I hope baby Avonlea is home soon!! joy.gif

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#9 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 06:24 PM

So sorry she had to get transferred. I hope she's home very soon!

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#10 of 15 Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Congratulations! I hope she continues to progress well and you have her back home soon

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#11 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 AM

Congratulations on your amazing birth experience!  I hope your little girl is in your arms at home as soon as possible!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#12 of 15 Old 12-16-2010, 07:07 AM

Oh Jamie, Congratulations on your perfect homebirth. I am praying for Avonlea's fast recovery and hoping she is home very soon. Please keep us updated!

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

#13 of 15 Old 12-17-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

We're all HOME!  Everything happened so quickly.  Thank God for wonderful NICU nurses - they were our only advocates and really helped push us through the NICU since they saw she didn't really need to be there.  On Tuesday we had the BEST nurse EVER.  She went ahead and pushed to remove the CPAP and move her to a nose canula.  They proceeded with caution.  She did great.  Later that evening I was visiting and she took her canula out as a 'trial'.  About that same time, Avonlea ripped out her feeding tube.  Our nurse said she was going to leave it out and see if they'd allow to try bottle feeding that evening.  When they did rounds, she'd been on room air without issues for an hour so they removed the canula all together.  I called later to check on her and she'd taken 1/2oz of breast milk from a bottle without issues!  Around 1:30am I got up to pump and called the NICU to see how she was doing.  I was told she'd taken 3 bottles without issues and that I could come up the next morning at 9 if I wanted to feed her (I was so excited I never asked if that was breast or bottle).  I got there and was able to bottle feed her from her crib because she still had her central lines (2 IVs in her belly button).  While I was feeding her, the doctor came in and checked her out.  All of a sudden he said, "Move Avonlea to on demand feedings, as much as she can tolerate.  Let's go ahead and get those lines out and move her out to room in."  I really was thinking this would take a few days (we'd been through a 5-wk NICU stay with DS and everything was drug out).  The nurse asked him if we could go ahead and start nursing.  He agreed that was best.  So, I was told to come back at noon to nurse her!  Then the nurse tells me, "Ok, we'll need her carseat to do an hour-long carseat test to measure her oxygen levels - do you have your seat here?"  Uh, no!  They were planning to get her out of the NICU that day to room in at our hospital room.  So, I rushed as fast as I could to get the seat and all my things to stay the night with my baby!  :)  Everything went well so they brought her back to my room around 3pm.  She did great but I cannot get over how OBNOXIOUS the nurse staff was!  They came in every 3hrs to check on her, turning on all the overhead lights and taking about 30min for each check.  Add that to the lab staff who came in to take blood and the breakfast cart and nursing sessions and I can say, we didn't get much sleep!  But, we're home now!  And she cluster fed for about 3hrs last night and then slept from 3:30am-9:15! 

Her brother and sister are SO excited to have her home.  And we celebrated Christmas today because my parents are taking the older 2 to visit my grandparents and will be gone Christmas day - and we got to all be home together for Christmas!  :)  We're so blessed! 

Thanks for all the warm wishes!  ((HUGS))

sarahn4639 likes this.

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#14 of 15 Old 12-17-2010, 03:15 PM

congrats Jamie!!!!  What a glorious Christmas present!!!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#15 of 15 Old 12-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Congrats! Welcome Avonlea! 

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page