Anyone Ingesting Their Placenta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am on day 3 and I feel great. The pills are definitely having a positive impact on my mood! I feel really great and seem to have more energy, though I am still lying in bed most of the day.

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM

I'll be ingesting mine for sure...just don't know who I am going to be able to get to encapsulate. I will be at the very least taking a chunk in my first protein smoothie and freezing the rest I assume. 

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#3 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 09:56 AM

I wonder if a year-old frozen placenta has enough hormones in it to help induce my labor??

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#4 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM

I'm encapsulating for the 1st time this time.  I'm excited to see the difference it makes!  I just did my sister's for her 3 weeks ago and she reports similar experiences to yours.  She can really feel a difference and her milk does too!  She's pumping because she has to go back to work and she says there is a huge difference when she does and doesn't take the placenta.  How fun!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#5 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

I have the capsules and the little capsule-preparing gizmo, and I've enlisted my Mom (or spouse, if Sprout comes before my Mom gets here from out of town) to do the encapsulation after she does placenta prints (got watercolor paper for that, damn that stuff is expensive!). I sent them a few links with how-to guides a few weeks ago so they would be ready!

mama to jasper (12-17-10) and theodora (11-13-12)

#6 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Yes! I am having someone encapsulate mine for me and am truly excited about its beneficial properties postpartum! I wish all mamas would do this.

Our Tiger Cub arrived 12/29/10
#7 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM

I'm really excited about taking my placenta.   I am praying that it does increase milk production, that along with taking moringa powder and now that my thyroid is under control.  Really hoping with all my heart to breastfeed with no supply issues!!

So glad to hear the great reports; makes it worth it.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#8 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 04:12 PM

sonrisa, your thyroid will make a big different too!  i hope you have an awesome supply and an amazing nursing experience too!!!! 

is it weird that as excited as i am to have a baby, i'm really looking forward to comparing this pp to my others and the placenta is a big part of that! :)

#9 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 05:43 PM

I have my pills and have been taking them since yesterday. Considering I've hardly slept in days, I'm feeling surprisingly well. I think the placenta is making a big difference. I haven't had the baby blues yet...and am on day 4. Still waiting for it to hit. Maybe it won't this time?

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#10 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 05:59 PM

This sounds very interesting!  May I ask - how do you encapsulate them?  I have seen the little pill maker kits, but do you also need a food dehydrator to dry the placenta first? And then do you have to powder them somehow? Is this easy or hard?  Feeling overwhelmed with a million things to do right now, but I like the idea!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#11 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 07:00 PM

The midwife assistant did mine for me, but from what I've heard, you can dehydrate it in the oven. Expect it to be rather smelly. i think you can put ginger or something in with it to help with the smell. Then you can powder it in a food blender. 

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#12 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahiisland View Post

This sounds very interesting!  May I ask - how do you encapsulate them?  I have seen the little pill maker kits, but do you also need a food dehydrator to dry the placenta first? And then do you have to powder them somehow? Is this easy or hard?  Feeling overwhelmed with a million things to do right now, but I like the idea!

I just did my sister's and here is exactly what I did, super easy!!  Refrigerate the placenta until ready to work with it, freeze if more than a few days.  Wash placenta, removing blod clots, poke it with a knife a few times to drain some of the blood from it, cut the cord and membranes off.  Then place the placenta in a steamer pot with water, ginger, and lemon juice in the bottom.  Steam for 10-15 min each side until it looks like a cooked piece of meat.  It actually looks like a cook brain which is both weird and cool.  :)  Once it's cooked through, remove from steamer and slice as thinly as you can.  Place on baking sheet and cook/dehydrate at 300 F for about an hour or until dehydrated and breaks instead of bends when you test it.  Remove from oven, cool slightly, place in blender or coffee grinder (my food processor didn't work but my VitaMix blender did, but it did take a while) and blend until it's a powder.  I then put the powder in a bowl and opened my capsules and scooped up the powder and closed them back up.  I didn't buy any special encapsulator or anything and it was really easy and didn't take long at all doing it by hand.  Good luck, it really is easy!  Oh, I was really worried about the smell too (especially because I did hers while I'm pregnant) but there was almost no smell during steaming and a slighy almost sweet smell while dehydrating.  It was never very strong and it didn't bother me surprisingly.  The whole process took less than 4 hours total.

#13 of 23 Old 12-16-2010, 10:53 PM

I am excited to encapsulate my placenta for the first time too! I'm just going to do it myself (hopefully with the help of a friend). I wonder if the Magic Bullet would work to grind up the dehydrated strips(?)  Is it easy enough to fill the capsules without one of those capsule holder things? I'm feeling so hormonal now and had some milk supply issues last time....I'm hoping the placenta pills will help.

#14 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 07:38 AM

colleentara, the professional encapsulationists I know use the Magic Bullet so I'm sure it works great!  And, yes, I found filling the capsules to be very easy and much less time consuming that I had anticipated.  The pill filler thing will just speed the process up a bit, I just didn't want to spend the money when it's something I would only need twice (mine and my sis's).  I just opened the capsule and held one side in each hand.  I then scooped them together and sealed them back up, super easy!

#15 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 04:44 PM

pullled it out of the freezer and will start eating it in smoothie form tomorrow.  i wasn't going to do a smoothie, but i really, really hope it helps with getting my milk to come in!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#16 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 05:55 PM

I had a piece of mine in a smoothie - it lasted 16 days. I was a little sad when I used the last chunk. I attribute it to feeling so much better this time around, healing better, and not dealing with baby blues or post-pardum depression. Last time (with ds#3), dh steamed it, dehydrated it, and then encapsulated it for me, but either I just wasn't taking enough or often, or the steaming made it lose some potency ... but the effects this time around were so different than last. thumb.gif

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#17 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 08:55 PM

yay for the magic bullet! I'm not sure if I'll be able to stomach the smoothie option. I do want to try at least a chunk that way, but I have to admit that it makes me squeamish to think about it...

#18 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Here's my smoothie recipe ... I cannot taste it at all, my midwife couldn't taste it, my kids couldn't taste it ... 

1 can coconut milk (full fat kind)

2-3 tablespoons raw honey

big handful ice

even bigger handful frozen strawberries

1 chunk of placenta (probably 1" x 2", though dh just kind of eye-balled it)

Dh would put the coconut milk and placenta in the blender first to get it really smooth. Then he added the honey, fruit, and ice. It was tasty. orngbiggrin.gif I honestly wish I had more placenta because I could almost feel it "working" (though I am very glad I had as much as I did as I know I'm doing as well as I am today because of it). 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#19 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 10:15 PM

The first time I heard of this I thought it was really disgusting.   BUT then as with other things,  I did the research and found out the amazing benefits.  I'm excited about it and all the potential benefits it carries.  Not due to July so will not have a report for a long time.  DH asked "I don't have to eat it do I?" 

There is a great thread on here (can't remember where exactly) that has other detailed instructions for dehydrating and encapsulating.

Some used a dehydrator and a mortar and pestal to grind.

I found it very informative.  

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#20 of 23 Old 12-17-2010, 10:41 PM
CSS

I plan on it in the raw frozen smoothie form.  I've never done it before though, so it should be interesting.

Connie-mom of DS 7, DD 5, DD 3, and new one coming in December
#21 of 23 Old 12-19-2010, 12:27 PM

I just got mine ground up and took the first caps today. It didn't seem like much after it was all dehydrated! I kept a bit in the freezer to make a tincture or homeopathic remedy.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#22 of 23 Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM

what did you do with the cord? I just got my pills back yesterday and im almost 3 weeks pp, it just took a while to get done and get the pills to me. Anyway I hope it is still ok i am starting to get real cranky and ppd. I had it bad with dd

So i got the pills and then a few little pieces that dh said the midwife said where the cord and that people eat it... which i did, I let ds suck on it for a bit which he liked and seemed like he naturally just did it, sort of like how natural nursing is. DD wanted to try some too, since i was eating it, so she ate a tiny piece and i ate the rest, was kind of gross honestly I tried not to think about wha ti was eating but couldnt help it and it tasted gross... didnt see any benefits really as far as my mood but who knows... maybe i'd be more of a monster without it haha

So the pills said on them not to take if you are fighting something and i thought well its cold and flu season so should I not take them? I feel like i am always fighting something... taking all kinds of supplements to avoid getting sick and then do I want to do anything to counter that?

also how much are  you taking? I think im going to start with 1 pill tonight, 1 tomorrow night and then maybe up it to 2 a day

#23 of 23 Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 PM

I'm taking 3 caps in the morning and 3 in the evening. I don't know if it's made any difference but I have tons of energy. Too much really since I should be staying off my feet still. My cord is in the fridge and I have no idea what will become of it.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page