breastfeeding not going well at all UPDATE post 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had our weight check at the ped office today and Rachel is down 10%.  I have to start supplementing.  My dear friend is pumping some extra milk for us as I am trying to avoid supplementing with formula.  We'll use a supplemental nutrition system at the breast to get those extra ounces into  her.

DH is getting me fenugreek, and I ordered goat's rue and am having it shipped overnight.  I am going to eat the last of my placenta today.  I am nursing on demand, which means for 4 - 6 hours at a stretch.  Poor little girl is trying so, so, so hard to nurse, but there just isn't enough milk to satisfy her.  She is still having a good number of diapers per day so that is a relief.

I know that 10% isn't uncommon at 5 days, but I have a history of breast hypoplasia in my family, and I am apparently affected by it, too.  My breasts are fuller, but not as full as they should be.  My mom is here is an IBCLC so I am in good hands, but I am still depressed and frustrated.

I have been crying nonstop.  I feel like such a failure.  I have tried everything, everything, to do this on my own.  Nursing my baby means more to me than just about anything in the world.  There isn't much I wouldn't give up to be able to do that. 

I would really appreciate your thoughts and prayers as we struggle through this. 

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#2 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 11:09 AM

DDCC

The fenugreek only worked for me when I took it along with blessed thistle. Hugs to you. I struggled nursing with my first and it ended up that she had a horrible latch that I didn't catch myself. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#3 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Take it one day at a time.  Definitely work with an IBCLC.  There are lots of things you can do and you still have time.  Big hugs!

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#4 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM

DDCC

I'm sure you are already passifying at the breast, but are you also trying to pump after every nursing session to increase your production?  My son was a preemie, so we had a lot of problems with the nursing at first.  I used a shield and did lots of skin to skin and pumped 6 times a day.  I still got mastitis 3 times within the first 6 weeks, it was really tough at first, but it does get better!  

Kristin , married to DH , mama to DS 8/4/09 and EDD 6/24/11
#5 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Emily, many hugs to you and Rachel.  I know exactly how you are feeling and what you are going through.  My DD was born in 2006 and I had no idea that we had a breastfeeding challenge until DD was 10 days old and was seen by an IBCLC.  I too may suffer with a slight case of hypoplasia, and I only say may as I will not really know until this LO (who is 6 days past due at this point) is born.  I was also diagnosed at 8 months pp with Hashimotos thyroiditis, so that could have been the reason for the lack of breastmilk.  I used an SNS for 6 months with DD, supplementing at the breast, and then took domperidone and breastfeed until she was 17months, and at that point we weaned.

So, I know what you are going through.  Please have your thyroid checked.  Also goats rue really helped me, glad you are getting it overnight, and what you do now will really make a difference for the future.  Fenugreek, not such a big help for IGT, but I did find that More milk plus helped.  

I am praying to have more milk this time, knowing that the work I did in 2006 will help me this time.  Plus, I will be ingesting the placenta and I'm also taking Moringa Oleifera Leaf Powder which my MW's say will help a lot.  They have witnessed great success with the Moringa Leaf and breastfeeding.

It is so great your mom is an IBCLC and that she is with you two.  I remember talking about this with you in our DDC earlier on in our pregnancies. I hope we hear an update soon, AND KNOW THAT YOU ARE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN FOR RACHEL.

My thoughts are with you,

Regards, Abigayle

sarahn4639 likes this.

Loving Mom to DD (09/06) and dear friend to DH expecting numero dos en 12/14/2010 hoping for and lots of
#6 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you have lots of good advice and support already, which will make all the difference.

Eating oatmeal has been known to help with supply too.

If she's going 4-6 hours between feeds she can't be all that hungry. Maybe it's not your supply, maybe she just has a small appetite. I'm nursing on demand and rarely go 2 hours without nursing during the day. He's just hungry all the time.

But yeah you are only at day 5 with your first baby, it can take a while for a good supply to come in. I'm sure it will work out, it sounds like you're doing everything right.

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#7 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM

Dude, I am right there with you. Breastfeeding is not going great for us either, and I have already had to supplement with formula. No advice, just commiseration. hug2.gif

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#8 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
DDCC hug2.gif You are not a failure! I did not make enough milk for ds and partly it was my thyroid and partly it was his allergies causing him so much pain he refused to nurse a lot and my supply died. I had so many worries this time, too. Keep with it-even if you use a SNS, you are doing awesome for even trying.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM

I pm'd you already....but please, please don't beat yourself up, mama. BFing isn't an all-or-nothing thing. Every ounce counts! Even if you have to supplement, you're still doing a great thing, both nutritionally and emotionally. hug2.gif I hope the supplements help!

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#10 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ein328 View Post

I pm'd you already....but please, please don't beat yourself up, mama. BFing isn't an all-or-nothing thing. Every ounce counts! Even if you have to supplement, you're still doing a great thing, both nutritionally and emotionally. hug2.gif I hope the supplements help!

yes, this!! sending you love and light <3

#11 of 19 Old 12-20-2010, 11:32 PM

You're doing everything right!  10% isn't unusual.  And I agree with FSG, if Rachel isn't hungry more often then 4-6hrs, she's getting enough.  You'd hear from her if she was hungry!  ((HUGS))

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#12 of 19 Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 AM

My sister just had a stressful guest and she said that it is true, stress affects your milk supply. Now don't let that make you more stressed, that is not my intention, but you are feeding, you do have milk, you are having a rough time, but more than likely that will all smooth over and you will be doing just fine in no time at all.  So congratulate yourself for what you are doing, it will keep improving.  It is challenging!  Tell yourself lots of good things, don't cry, you are a wonderful, dedicated, beautiful mama doing her best!  Your daughter is very lucky to have you.  Give it and yourself some time and be kind to yourself in teh meantime.  Hugs!!!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#13 of 19 Old 12-21-2010, 10:52 AM

I could not read and not send a virtual hug.gif. I hope all the support and advice pay off and you get to enjoy a breastfeeding relationship with Rachel.

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#14 of 19 Old 12-21-2010, 11:01 AM

As long as you're doing your best (and it sounds like you're doing that and then some), you are NOT a failure.  Please be gentle with yourself during this challenging time. I had a hard time BFing my daughter, had to syringe feed her because we couldn't get a good latch and had to see an LC, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever been through. grouphug.gif

#15 of 19 Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 AM

DDCC - you are absolutely not a failure!  hug2.gifYou are Rachel's mommy.  No one can change that, no one can take that from you.  This is motherhood for you -- so wrought with emotion and truth and unfairness.  But you are strong and can get through this together.  Feeding is just one part of how you will care for her and show your love.  Keep pushing and trying, and breathe.  Take care of yourself, too.  Make sure you get rest and eat lots of healthy foods.  If you need to supplement, IT'S OK.  It's going to be okay.  Rachel will not feel any less loved by you and you will love her no less for it.  Hang in there. 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#16 of 19 Old 12-27-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so, so, so much for the encouragement!  Things are going so much better.  Rachel was up to 6 lb 14 oz on Wed, and today she was 7 lb 3.5 oz.  I am not pumping anymore, nor are we doing a strict feeding schedule, and I haven't had to supplement her in 36 hours!  I have not been engorged, but my breasts feel so much fuller and heavier, and I occassionally leak a little bit, which is pretty exciting.  It has been a really, really tough emotional road to get to this point, and I know that we may need to go back to supplementing, but I am enjoying how things are going right now.  My midwife was so kind and encouraging today when we went in for a weight check; I feel much better about trusting Rachel's cues, and my own gut about how she needs to be nursed. 

I have been so blessed to have so many milk making mama friends; Rachel has had 100% breast milk since she was born.  I figure all those different donors are givng her a way increased immunity.  luxlove.gif

lynsage likes this.

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#17 of 19 Old 12-27-2010, 04:56 PM

So happy to hear things are turning out better!

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#18 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 01:42 AM

I am so happy things are working for you and Rachel. That is wonderful that you had enough milk donors, and that you can feel your breasts getting fuller. 

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#19 of 19 Old 12-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Emily ~ Congratulations on the birth of Rachel! I'm sorry you were/are having struggles with breastfeeding but glad to read that things have gotten better. You are so lucky to have been able to supplement purely with breastmilk. What a wonderful gift.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page