Winter Baby, keeping everyone healthy... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are about to welcome into our family a winter baby, due Dec 31st.  The baby's siblings are older, 8 and 9, and have various activities they attend.  I'll admit I'm a bit concerned with them catching a cold and bringing it home for baby. Sometimes I'm still appalled at my son's biting his fingers etc. We've had a discussion about handwashing and baby holding. I will be nursing and have been in good health myself.  Any suggestions of supplements to take on an ongoing basis?  I do a raw food prenatal, prenatal DHA, probiotics, floradix (due to low iron levels), and I take Vitamin D3. 

Anything to add or should I just chill out?  :)
Eagerly awaiting Baby #3!
Aimee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 06:09 PM

I vote for chill out.  :)  Hand washing and breastfeeding along with eating well is going to be the best things you can do.  I am about to have my 3rd winter baby, it can be nerve racking!  I do limit who holds the baby and insist upon hand washing but germs are impossible to totally avoid.

#3 of 5 Old 12-20-2010, 07:18 PM

remember, germs in your family are important immune building components for baby. 

The baby will also get all of your immunities from breastfeeding.

Do your kids take all those wonderful supplements as well? It might be helpful for them too...dd does all that and more and she's a pretty healthy kid.

but I hear you...we of course have these concerns too, kids get sick and it's bound to happen when the new baby comes. we're just sticking to our old standby's of thyme and tea tree essential oils burning in the house when one of us is ill to help as best as possible. 

also dd and dp both use a thyme/tea tree blended hand sanitizer that I made them so they don't have to use antibacterials at work/school. 

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 10:09 PM

This is my first winter baby and I've been pretty worried about it too. I'm not usually concerned about germs. It sounds like you're doing the right things already. I try to keep us all on probiotic foods, D3 drops or FCLO, lots of greens and other veggies (onions, garlic) and bone broth.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#5 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)

My February baby is one of the healthiest kids I know, and never got so much as a sniffle until he reached 9 months old.  And I didn't do anything special (other than breastfeed him).  So I'm not too worried about this December one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page