Post partum swelling? **UPDATED** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Daniel was born Saturday and I noticed that yesterday, my hands and feet are swollen. I had a home birth and did not have IV fluids or anything. This sucks. I didn't have one problem with this during pregnancy.....

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#2 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Call your midwife and let her know.  It's possible to get pre-eclampsia postpartum.  Swelling can also be normal, but I'd call.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#3 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM

Are you having any trouble breathing?  Coughing more, any shortness of breath going up stairs or laying down?

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#4 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

I have what I am pretty sure is a chest cold. So yeah, lots of coughing. Not really short of breath though.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#5 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM

You need to get checked out.  It could be something serious (and it could be nothing at all). 

Your story makes me think of Annettemarie http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1283473/the-amazing-birth-of-matthew-and-molly-followed-by-pph-and-peripartum-cardiomyopathy

But Babycenter says it's normal http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-swelling-edema_1152274.bc  I think it's more normal after IV fluids and pitocin.  If you didn't have these things, I don't THINK you should be terribly puffy...but then I'm an RT not an OB/GYN or a midwife.  I've only seen post-partum edema after those things or with moms with infection.

Emedicine has info about postpartum edema http://www.emedicinehealth.com/edema/article_em.htm

An article about a woman who had pulmonary edema after a c-section http://business.highbeam.com/435166/article-1G1-194702166/acute-postpartum-pulmonary-edema-23yearold-woman-5 (I don't think a c-section is more likely to cause it than a vaginal birth).

Quote:
Her only previous respiratory complaint was a mild cough the preceding day.

Can you check your blood pressure?  Any headaches?

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#6 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

*hug* I know it's probably the last thing you want to do right now, but I agree that you should have things checked out.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Merck Manuel info

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec18/ch259/ch259e.html?qt=postartum%20edema&alt=sh

#8 of 13 Old 12-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Call your midwife asap.  I had the same thing happen after my c-section (was short of breath too) and I was very, very sick.  Your midwife can come over and make sure you are ok.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif
#9 of 13 Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking of you today and hope you're doing well!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 13 Old 12-24-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm also thinking of you!  Hoping you are home cuddling with your baby!

#11 of 13 Old 12-25-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. What a whirl wind. Turns out, I have postpartum pre eclampsia. My midwife called to do her check in phone call and I mentioned it. She wanted me to get checked by a doctor. I went to urgent care thinking I would just need a "Take it easy" talk and a blood pressure reading. My BP was 144/99 and I was more than a "little" swollen. I had pitting edema from feet to ankles. So, to the ER I headed. When I was admitted, my BP was 177/108!!! So, 2 nights in the hospital on IV fluids and mag sulfate, and batteries of tests (one was a 24 hour urine that I had to be catheterized for..yuck!!) , I was sent home on BP meds, and strong narcotics for the raging headache I have pretty much had for a week now. I was discharged yesterday. Scary stuff!!! My BPs at home have been running 140-150s/90s...

#12 of 13 Old 12-25-2010, 08:53 PM

So glad you went in!  I'm sorry that you are sick, but glad it didn't go any further.  Mag is really the pits.  Hope you and your baby are well and have no more adventures!

#13 of 13 Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 AM

Oh no! I had that pitting edema thing with DS1 and I was in early cardiac failure with pneumonia. I am so glad you went in. I hope you feel better soon.

winner.jpg, cloth diapering, babywearing, AP mama to Aiden (10/04/07) and Rylan (12/20/10)  hbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page