Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rhiannon Mackenzie

12-25-10

1:44am

7lbs 2oz

21 inches long

About 8 pm on Christmas eve I started some menstral cramping that had peaks and valleys rather than just a dull ache.  I told my hubby that he needed to come on home from work soon.  He wasn't supposed to get off till 11:30.  About 8:30 they picked up and I asked him if he was on his way.  About 9 I decided to eat a frozen pizza to get some energy in me for my birth.  I was cleaning up somethings around the house, as hubby was freaking out trying to make sure he got all the right bags and such.  About 10 the contractions became more noticable and I decided to sit down and time them.  Well first one lasted 37secs.  Next one came 2 minutes later and was 22 secs.  The next one came almost 4 minutes later and lasted 41 secs.  During that time I felt a gurgle then a *pop*.  Afterwards I went to check what poped.  I laughed and hollared to my hubby that my water had broke.  His response was a rather gruff "Are you serious"  He thought I was joking with him.  But I wasn't.  I noticed right away that it was green with meconium.  I put a pad on and called the midwife.  She told me to head on in to the hospital.  We loaded the car and hubby drove as fast as he felt safe with the flashers on.  The contractions were getting to the point I couldn't talk.  I get to the hospital and get to labor and delivery.  The check me in and say I'm a 4-5cm.  Contractions were 2-3 minutes apart.  The midwife was surprised to see me already to this point, she said you were so calm on the phone.  I was doubting my plans of a natural birth at one point.  I felt sick.  I knew I needed to puke.  And as she is handing me the bag, it starts coming up.  When the contractions were getting unbearable.  I finally thought of water, I need water.  Than it dawned on me, I forgot to ask for the room with the tub.  Hubby called and asked, and they switched my room.  The midwife filled the tub, not a big tub.  Laboring on my side did not agree with me so I made do for awhile.  Hubby poured water over my back as I squatted between contractions.  I stood for the contractions.  I started to get pushy so hubby called the midwife.  I got out and she checked me and said I was 8-9.  Dropped the foot of the bed and labored on my knees laying on the top of the bed.  The midwife could tell by my vocalizations that I was really feeling pushy.  So She said to go ahead and start pushing.  At one point the heartrate started dropping and they made me move to my side.  She keep telling me to push.  I think she was worried  about the baby.  Hubby said once the head was out enough to get ahold of her she grabed and pulled her out.  They wisked her away to suction her because of the meconium.  I was in a daze.  It was 1:44am when she was born.  I ended up with a second degree tear and I had postpartum hemorraging.  The removal of the clots and massaging of the uterus were worse than the labor.  At one point she was doing that and trying to get a iv set up.  I had to tell them they had to do one or the other, not both at the same time.  Because of the hemorraging I had hubby hold the baby and they gave me pitocen, cytotec, and 2 bags of fluid well she stiched up my tear.  Baby is doing great.  Lost only 2% in 24 hours.  We were  discharged after less than 34 hours.  She is latching and nursing every 3-4 hours for 40-75 minutes.  Pictures to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Congratulations! I like her name!

Proud new mom to J, 12/14/2010! Miss you Basia. candle.gif 
#3 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM

Congrats!  I was beginning to think we made it through without any Christmas babies!  What an amazing Christmas gift to you all!  :) 

Jamie * Andy's Queen
Mama to: Kaleb 9/12/2005 * Adeline 7/02/08 (born at home!) & 'Dot' EDD 12/23/2010
#4 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Congratulations!

#5 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM

Congratulations!  

loving wife of 10 years, stay at home mom to
Sam 05 Isaac 06 Melody 08Baby #4 2010
#6 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 06:52 PM

Congrats! What a great name- I hope you don't mind, but whenever I hear it I think of the song- and that's a good thing thumb.gif

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#7 of 10 Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

DSCN1085.JPG

Here is a picture showing off her head full of hair.

#8 of 10 Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Congratulations!

Scottish Expat Mummy to: 1 angel and 5 earthlings (4 girls, 2 boys)
#9 of 10 Old 12-27-2010, 05:02 PM

What a cutie!  Sounds like things were a little scary there for a while; glad everything turned out ok!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#10 of 10 Old 12-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Congratulations - what a cutie! So sorry to hear about your hemorrhage - I had one, too, and I agree that the clot removal was worse than labor! Not to mention how hard it was on my husband to watch me go through that...

Mama to Ellie (11/11/05) and Owen, born 12/12/10 - a successful VBAC!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page