The birth of Emre Isaiah McClane--HBAC turned CBAC (POSITIVE, BUT VERY LONG) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Emre Isaiah McClane

12/28/10, 7:04 PM

10 lb 8 oz, 22 in, 15 in head

Emre's birth story actually starts over 3 years ago with the story of Aydin's birth. That sounds so beyond corny, but it's true. Jason and I decide to try to conceive Aydin at a time when his birth would coincide with my graduation from law school. I always had this abstract idea that I would have a natural birth, but I didn't really know what that meant. I'm almost embarrassed to admit how little I knew about pregnancy, but that's where I was. I assumed a woman just decided to have a natural birth and that was that. I stopped taking birth control in August and we immediately conceived. I was so happy. In 9 months, I would be vaginally delivering my baby at a local birthing center surrounded by soft music, candlelight and violins playing in the background. Instead, I risked out of the birthing center at 19 weeks due to essential hypertension. They called me to tell me that I could no longer continue under their care while I was driving 70 down the interstate. I was devastated and had to pull over because I was crying so hard. No worries, they told me. They knew of a great, natural birth friendly OB whose care I could transfer to and still have a shot at a natural birth. Foolishly, I ignored their advice, basically opened up my insurance's list of covered providers and chose one off the list. When I interviewed him, I expressed my desires to have a natural birth. He seemed very supportive of my decisions, but somehow I ended up on bedrest for what were at best borderline blood pressures, induced shy of 39 weeks and cut open to have my son delivered via cesarean. The very first thing my doctor said to me when he saw me after recovery was, "Well, all your babies will have to be born by cesarean and seeing how difficult this pregnancy was, you should probably only try for one more." I was so emotionally devastated that I numbly agreed--how had I gone from violins and candlelight to being cut open, separated from my baby, unable to breastfeed him and being told that I could only have one more child because of my health? This couldn't be right.

I have to admit that after Aydin's birth, I fell into a bit of a depression. I didn't really realize that's what was going on or why, but I put on a lot of weight, I lost interest in doing a lot of things and I drank just a little too much. If you read Aydin's original birth story, I think you'll find a person who was trying to cope with a devastating experience without embracing that what happened was traumatic and that it was OK to be dissatisfied, even angry, with my birth experience. The girl who wrote that story, I don't even know her.

Around April of 2009, I decided something had to change. I wasn't going to get anywhere laying around just getting fatter and feeling sorry for myself. I found a really supportive online message board and began to discover that there was a better way to bith. Just because I was cut once didn't mean it had to happen again. I could, and indeed should, become an active participant in my pregnancy and this had to start even before we could think about conceiving. So, I quit feeling sorry for myself, lost about 50 pounds, researched my options for VBACing and decided a home birth would be best for me. To do this, I knew I had to maintain my weight loss so that I could remain low risk and off blood pressure meds throughout my pregnancy. So, that's what I did.  In November, I came off my blood pressure meds and we started actively trying to conceive.

On our 5th month of trying, finally! A BFP on Easter Sunday!! I was so happy--I caught my little Easter egg. Fortuitously, I had an interview scheduled with a midwife the next day. It was supposed to be sort of just a general meet and greet because I was in the process of interviewing care providers before I even became pregnant. I thought finding out I was pregnant the day before we met must have been a sign and it was. You know that feeling you get when you meet someone and you just know? Well, that's how it was with my midwives. I just knew Kari and Brielle were who I wanted by my side when I birthed my baby. Add to that, they were working with an apprentice midwife who also happened to be my postpartum doula with Aydin and pretty much the only bright spot of that entire time and I just knew.

My pregnancy was simply amazing. I had a fear of having my pressures taken because of what happened with risking out of the birth center, but my midwives were so understanding with me. I grew to trust them and my pressures went and stayed down during my visits. I have to admit, in the back of my head was the constant niggling fear that I would risk out at some point, but Kari and Brielle were sure to always tell me how much they believed in me and my birth. I think they believed in my home birth long before I truly did. I didn't want to become too emotionally invested in it and then have it ripped away from me. I would feel like a fool, so I kept my guard up until I just couldn't anymore. As my pregnancy progressed and I remained healthy and low risk, I began to believe that it was really going to happen. I was going to deliver my baby at home in the safety of my living room, surrounded only by people who believed in and supported me. I remained low risk throughout my pregnancy. I was so proud of myself. Our prenatals, at least an hour long each, were spent laughing and getting to know each other as people and as women. I wasn’t just a file amongst tens of other files….my experience was as unique as I was and I was treated as such.

I experienced contractions for the first time around my 37th week. I was so excited. Yet another milestone reached in this pregnancy. I had never felt any with Aydin--even once they hooked me up to the pitocin and tried to induce me. And here, my body is working on its own!! My midwives told me that a lot of VBAC mamas have gentle contractions for awhile before they actually go into labor--they think this is the body's way of being gentle with the mama's scar. Well I definitely had a ton of gentle, practice contractions. To the point where I began to wonder if my body did actually know how to work. Would I ever go into labor?

Around 41 weeks, I started to get really desperate.  I had always said 42 weeks was my cutoff of feeling comfortable birthing at home and with only a week to go, I was starting to worry that it wouldn’t happen. I began to have the sickest fantasies about castor oil inductions, pitocin and all these other horrible, dirty things that I knew wouldn’t help. I made it through 41 and 41+1 because I really didn’t want to have a Christmas Eve or day baby. On 41+2, my facebook status referenced the fact that I was losing the will to live. It felt like my baby was never going to come and I was going to be doomed to have a repeat c/s.

(Please note: my twitter updates and my midwives’ charts are probably a lot more accurate in terms of timelines and the order in which things happened. I was definitely in labor land most of the time. Jason is helping me get things right, but this is mostly just from my memory of things)

I went to bed on Sunday the 26th and noticed around midnight that I was producing a lot of fluid in my nether regions. It wasn’t like any discharge I had ever experienced throughout my pregnancy—it was watery. I didn’t want to get my hopes up because I figured if it were my water, it would be constantly leaking or drip when I went to the bathroom. Still, I noticed that when I wiped it up, it would return an hour or so later.  I sent Brielle an email about it in the morning on Monday and told her not to get too excited because it was probably nothing. She told me it sounded like my water and to get rest. She would be over later to check. Jason started nesting like crazy and decided he would wait to go into work just in case. When Brielle arrived, she busted out the ph swab and wiped it on the pad I had put on and confirmed that it was amniotic fluid. Today was my birthing day!!! I updated my facebook status with a link to my Twitter account, which I planned to keep updated throughout my birthing time.  It looked like it was just a slow leak, so Brielle checked baby’s position. His head seemed to be off to the side, so we agreed that I would work on getting him in to a better position for birthing and putting pressure on my cervix. She sat with me for awhile, knitting her fingerless gloves and keeping me calm and conserving my energy while I rocked on the birth ball.  I fell back to sleep for awhile while Brielle sat knitting in the room. 

I learned that Jessica, the apprentice MW and Aydin’s PP doula, was just recovering from a flu and wouldn’t be coming. Even though she was sure she wasn’t contagious anymore, she didn’t want to risk it…she would have come had I gone into labor just a day later. I was so disappointed because Jessica is so calming and I was really looking forward to having her at my labor, but what can you do? After sitting with me for awhile, Brielle left me to work on things on my own and I spent time pelvic rocking and climbing the stairs sideways.

Around noon, Brielle and Kari came back so that they could work with me on getting baby into an optimal position.  I was sitting on the ball when they arrived and Brielle suggested pumping to maybe get some contractions going.  She and Kari left the bedroom and began eating and chatting in the kitchen while I pumped.  Now again, I have little concept of time, but it seems like about an hour into pumping and bouncing on the ball, I felt a pop and then about 5 gallons of fluid rush out of me, all over the ball and onto the floor beneath me. I was so shocked, I started yelling “Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit!”  Kari and Brielle rushed into the room to check on me and told me to go ahead and rinse off after checking heart tones, baby's position, etc.  I think I heard them discussing that the earlier leak had probably been up top and that’s why it had been so slow.

I got into the shower and tried to contain my excitement. My body was moving!!! My baby was helping me get ready to bring him into the world. I asked Jason to get my hypnobabies and I listened to my Birthing Day Affirmations soundtrack and laid in bed to relax. I had a few mild contractions during this time, but they would easily peter out. They were also very gentle, so I thought it would be awhile before the real deal started.

Kari checked me after I showered and I was at a 3 and soft, so I was making progress. Last time I had been checked at a prenatal, I was only about a 1. I spent a lot of time alternating between the pump and the ball during the early stages of my labor trying to get my contractions to pick up. I had my best (read:hardest) contractions while pumping and I have to admit that it made me not want to keep pumping. But, I also didn’t want to be ruptured too long with no progress, so I did it. Ten minutes at a time and I would usually have 2 good contractions while pumping. Sometimes, I would have a third right as the session was ending.

My labor was long, slow and gentle.  Kari told me funny stories and we all laughed and chatted through my early stages.  I rested most of the night and didn’t really have any more contractions. It seemed that my body let me rest when I wanted to and would oblige me with contractions when I was actively asking for them.  In the morning, I decided to lay down for about 20 minutes of serious rest and then get up and get serious about getting my labor moving.  I asked Jason to wake me up after 20 minutes so that I could buckle down  I laid down and when I woke up around 11 or 11:30 (definitely not 20 minutes later), everyone (Jason, Kari, Brielle and Jessica) was all around my bed. I looked at Jessica and just said “I am” and then started to get up. Everyone left the room and I sat on the floor and hooked myself up to the pump. Jason came back into the room and I asked him if Jessica was here. Kari rushed in and felt my forehead for a fever since I had literally just seen and talked to Jessica. I was fine. I just thought I had dreamt that Jessica came over because I wasn’t expecting her.

Jessica suggested crawling up the stairs on hands and knees. This really sucked, but it did bring on a couple contractions. Brielle also started feeding me this herbal remedy. It wasn’t too gross—mostly tasted pepperminty. I really wanted to labor in the tub, but I couldn’t since my labor wasn’t really picking up and I was actively having to bring contractions on myself. About eight hours after my first cervical exam, I had another and I was only 4-5 cm. I began to take castor oil to augment my labor and I kept lamenting not being able to get into the tub. There it sat, taunting me all empty in my living room.  Jessica took us out walking the neighborhood vigorously, doing curb walks and a fast pace to try to get things going. After we would walk around, I would come back in, get on the pump and do the stairs again. This went on for a bit and I still wasn’t getting into an active labor pattern of my own. I began to feel despondent and like I was staring down the barrel of a hospital transfer. I needed to have made some progress at my next cervical exam—at this point I had been ruptured long enough that we really needed to get things going. I was a 6-7 at my next exam (I think? Maybe a 7).

I asked Brielle if she thought I was holding my baby in.  She looked at me and asked me, "Do you think you are holding your baby in?" I was.  Jessica got my birth ball and suggested I put it between my back and the wall and rock my hips side to side. I started this and I don’t know if it was the rocking or the what, but all of a sudden I was breaking down weeping about how hard I had worked for this HBAC and how it wasn’t fair that I was going to have to transfer all because my labor wouldn’t pick up and I was doing everything I could. I said I would never have another baby if this ended in a c/s. Jessica and Brielle listened to me and agreed that I had worked hard and that it wasn’t fair. It was so soothing to just have people listen and agree. I could easily have gotten hysterical and probably would have if they had tried to reason with me. Instead, their quiet understanding really calmed me down. Brielle suggested getting on the pump while sitting on the toilet. Let me just say, I hatedthis idea. And I hated it because I had the hardest contractions while I was in this position. They were intense and hard, but this is what I needed to get things going. I couldn’t just sit around crying about how my labor wouldn’t pick up if I wasn’t going to do anything about it.

So, Jason and I went to the bathroom together. I was sick of holding the horns up to my boobs, so I had Jason doing it and my contractions were getting stronger and stronger. I was moaning through them and trying to make the “ooooooooh” sound. Brielle was reminding me to make the sound low pitched and to relax my bottom so baby could descend.

I don’t know how long we stayed like this but all of a sudden, I had the contraction from hell. I mean, they were intense before, but this was like nothing I ever felt before. I stood up off the toilet, ripped the pump off and yelled “I need help!!!” Jason asked me what I needed help with and I burst into tears and told him not to ask me questions. All of a sudden, my MWs were in the bathroom and I told them between sobs that Jason was asking me questions and to tell him to stop. This is what they had been waiting for.

I desperately needed to get in the tub. The contractions were coming on their own now and they were more intense than anything I have ever felt in my life. I wanted to be anywhere but in that bathroom laboring. I think at this point, I kept asking my midwives if my baby will be here soon. They told me yes, this was it, soon the baby will be born. Jason had left the bathroom after my outburst and Kari told me that he was scared. I burst into tears and told her I didn’t mean to hurt his feelings or scare him. She explained that he knew that—I was just at a point in labor where things were going to get intense and he was a little overwhelmed. I think Jason was in the bedroom at this point. I could finally get in the tub. Jessica scrubbed out our tub and it was filled. It was SUCH a relief to get in the water. I was butt naked and more open than I have ever been in my life. Every time a contraction would hit, I would try to force myself to say “I can do this.” Brielle helped me to keep my legs open during contractions so baby could come down—my natural instinct was to close them against the pain. Brielle checked me and baby was at a zero station and I just had a thick lip of cervix to work through. This gave me hope. Soon, I would be holding my baby.  I was a little panicky and I remember saying a couple times to Brielle and Kari that I was scared and I couldn’t do it. They assured me that this is what every woman feels right before her baby comes out. Kari, who knows me so well, explained that this was often the hardest part of labor for women like me, who really don’t like to be out of control because all of a sudden our body is taking over and this birth is going to happen whether we like it or not.

My midwives kept encouraging me to drain my bladder because I had been drinking a lot but not eliminating. They noticed a bulge in my vaginal area—I think it was my full bladder, but baby was sitting on it and I could not for the life of me urinate.

I had to get out of the tub and the midwives had set up a laboring station on the floor by my bed with chux pads and a tablecloth. I was beginning to think I would die if I had one more contraction. They told me to lean over the bed and rock my hips during these contractions, but I was really panicking. I told them I couldn’t and I laid on the floor and began asking for an epidural. I told them that I had to go to the hospital, I just could not birth this baby at home, even though in my head I knew it was too late for an epidural. My baby was coming and I would probably birth him in the car on the way if we left. Still, I kept asking for the epidural.

All of a sudden, I felt a sharp pain on the lower left side of my stomach. I said “my uterus hurts!” and Kari came over and saw that during my next contraction, the top of my uterus became really hard. She immediately got on the phone with 911 and got EMS on the line. I just kept saying that my uterus hurt and I had to go to the hospital. Brielle kept assuring me that we were going to the hospital, but that I shouldn’t worry—baby’s heart tones were fine, my color was good and it didn’t seem like a rupture. Still, I was panicking. I heard Kari telling the EMS person that I was a VBAC and she trusts mom’s instincts in situations like this. I felt back against Jessica and was squeezing her leg and telling her that they had to hurry, I needed to get to the hospital. Brielle and Jessica were so calm and reassuring me, letting me hear baby’s heart tones which were awesome and telling me that I was fine, but we were going to the hospital to be safe.

EMS got there and I couldn’t believe how slowly they were moving! Couldn’t they see that I was dying?!?! I’m laying naked as the day I was born crying about needing an epidural and that something just wasn’t right and here they were calm as can be strapping me to the gurney. Kari got to ride with me in the ambulance which was so nice. She kept reminding me of the birth I wanted and why I wanted it. I told her that I didn’t want that birth anymore, I wanted the epidural.  I was so angry with the ambulance driver because he wasn’t even driving with lights and sirens. He told me they assess the situation and if it isn’t a true emergency, they don’t jeopardize other people’s safety by going full speed with lights and sirens. Hello! Couldn’t he see this was an emergency? Let me tell you—the worst contractions I ever had were strapped to that gurney, unable to move. The guy in the back was timing them and they were 3 minutes apart lasting 45 seconds. Kari was using their Doppler to monitor heart tones and she kept telling me baby was fine and I was going to birth him vaginally either in the ambulance or in the hospital once we got there. She asked if we could go to St. David’s because they work well with the midwives and their homebirth transfer clients are really treated well there.

When we get to the hospital, the EMS guys are STILL moving slowly. I am telling Kari over and over I want an epidural and I am dying. She is calm and telling me that I am going to birth my baby soon and that I am fine and baby is fine. I get into a room and I start to tell the nurse over and over that I want an epidural. She says “Honey, it doesn’t work that way. You cant have an epidural until you’re admitted.” Everyone seems pretty unsympathetic to the fact that I am knocking on heaven’s door right in front of them…in reality, everyone’s calm was exactly what I needed. I am not sure if my midwives ever thought I or the baby was ever in danger, but I know they trusted me when I said that my uterus hurt and they kept me safe by transferring. I remember Kari telling the doctor she didn’t think it was a rupture, but that she was always cautious with VBACs. I remember how, even at the height of my panic, safe I felt with her as a midwife and hearing her say that just confirmed it.

The doctor checked me and I was at an 8 and baby was at minus one or two. What the hell?!?! I had actually regressed!!! I think it was due to the panic and fear I let in. Immediately after he checked me, though, I felt the urge to push—the one and only time I felt pushy during my labor. Everyone told me I couldn’t push because I wasn’t complete. I think I said that I didn’t care, that the baby was coming out. The doctor said that he thought it was time for a c/s. He noticed some decels in baby’s heart tones and he thought the risk of letting me continue to labor wasn’t worth it. I was watching my midwives’ faces to see if I could read what they thought—I desperately wanted to know if they thought I could do it and whether I should refuse the section. They didn’t say much of anything and I couldn’t read their faces. I wanted to ask the doctor to leave so that I could ask them whether I could push the baby out, but I thought that might be frowned upon.

At this point, I thought this baby had to come out. I consented to the c/s and things really got going. I went to the OR, was put under general anesthesia. Jason couldn’t come with me since it was GA. From the discussions I heard afterwards, I get the feeling that the doctors felt the section was rather emergent, but to the hospital’s credit, I never felt like I may be dealing with an emergency situation. So many hospitals like to play the “dead baby” card and I appreciate that this one didn’t. I did not have a rupture at all, but the doctor did say he found varicose veins along my old scar line, which I have never heard of, but he told me could cause me to bleed to death during labor if they burst. Brielle is going to see what she can find out about this…he did say it was very rare, but I am eager to learn more about this. I would also like to know what the official reason for the c/s was listed as in my birth records (I suppose I could just ask my midwives about this).

When I woke up, I remember being pretty loopy but I found out Kari, Brielle and Jessica had left because they were told I would be asleep for 4-6 hours. I was awake about an hour after surgery asking for Emre. He was brought to me and I nursed him in recovery. I was shocked that he immediately latched on and nursed. I couldn’t believe it! I was so sure breastfeeding would be a struggle as it had been with my first son. I learned that he weighed 10 lb 8 oz, was 22 in and had a 15” head. I took a picture of us nursing and sent it to Brielle and Jessica. I vaguely remember talking to Kari and asking her if she was disappointed in me. I can’t remember her exact response, but I know she said that she wasn’t and I am pretty sure she said that she was really proud of me. I told her I really tried hard and some other things I don’t remember.

I was expecting to be devastated if I had a repeat c/s, but I was surprised with how not only content, but happy I was about my birthing. I had worked so hard for two days, listening to my body and working through contractions. I felt really respected by the hospital staff. No one ever once made me feel bad about being a home birth transfer. In fact, the OB that delivered Emre told me that he is sorry that it ended in a c/s because he knew how badly I wanted a natural childbirth and how hard I worked for it. He didn’t downplay the importance of my birth to me and that was so very special to me. I felt respected, validated and valued by every single person who was part of my birth experience. I never knew that a CBAC could feel like that.

I used to worry that I would feel hypocritical being such a natural birth advocate having never had a vaginal birth. I think that’s actually one of the reasons it was so important to me to have a vaginal birth with Emre (albeit not the main one, but it was one nonetheless). How could I preach the value of natural birth if I had never birthed a baby naturally? As I reflect on my birth experience, I realize I had just about as close to a natural birth as I could. The only thing I didn’t experience was pushing. I went into labor on my own and I labored for two days with no pain medication or chemical augmentation. I felt my uterus contract and work with my baby to move him into the birth canal. My cervix opened up fully on its own, working to birth my baby and I moved my baby down into a zero station all by myself. I know what a completely natural labor feels like, just not natural delivery, and I am OK with that for now. I feel like I can advocate for natural birth, having felt the discomfort of contractions and basically been right there, about to birth my baby. And I am often reminded that I always told my midwives that all I wanted was a chance to have a vaginal birth, and that’s what I got. And it was amazing.

It feels really great to give myself permission to feel whatever came along with my birth. I was so sure that I would feel devastated, depressed and just sick over it all if my birth ended in a cesarean. I am pleased to find that I only feel power, beauty, peace and love when I think of Emre’s birth and my journey to and through it. Breastfeeding has been a breeze for us, for which I am so grateful. I have found so many blessings on this journey, not the least of which is an acceptance of my cesarean birth as a positive experience.

So, this begs the question: what will my next births be like? I still 100% believe in the safety of home births. If anything, my experience only cemented this belief. I’m just not sure if I would be a good candidate, although I would LOVE to try again. I did have a pretty good freak out there at the end of my labor, and I am just not sure that would not happen again. Also, there is the fact that I make larger babies and I have yet to birth one. I am hesitant to believe that my body would grow a baby I couldn’t birth…I really think that in 99.9999999% of cases, a woman can birth any size baby she can grow, but I do still have the question of whether I actually can.  I really loved the OB who delivered Emre. Like I said, he was SO sympathetic to the fact that I didn’t get my home birth. I also asked him whether, if I needed to have c/s for any future pregnancies, I could do it as “naturally” as possible—that is, I would want to go into spontaneous labor on my own and have the baby then and not be pressured into an earlier one based off an estimated due date.  He said that is something he would be fine with, even though he did express some reservations over going as “late” as I did with Emre just because of his size. However, I don’t think that would be an issue anymore since now, my body is no longer that of a first time mom. I loved the prenatal care I got with Kari and Brielle—that is just irreplaceable. If I had my druthers, I would see them for all my prenatal care and (if it turns out I do require c/s to birth) see the OB who delivered Emre for the delivery of my babes.  ETA: I saw my MWs yesterday (Saturday) and I am pretty sure I would like to go for an hba2c. I think I would do parallel care with an OB just in case of transfer and not tell the OB I was really planning a hb....that way, if I transferred in, I would have a doc I knew and trusted, but otherwise, I would have my baby at home.

Anyway, all that is far in the future. For now, I am reveling in the amazing birth of my son Emre. I am loving nursing him, cuddling him, getting to know him and love on him. We will see what the future has in store, but for now, I am just so thankful for my wonderful HBAC turned CBAC.

#2 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 AM

wow what a powerful story!  you are a strong mama!!!!  i hope your recovery continues to go well and you heal quickly!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#3 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Sarah! :) I am feeling so great. What a difference from after my first c/s. It is amazing what a little respect for a woman's experience can mean in one's feelings about the birth. :)

sarahn4639 likes this.

#4 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and I thought I would upload a pic. Took this yesterday at 4 days old. We bought this outfit thinking he would be born before Christmas, but we didn't let that stop us from having a Christmas photoshoot LOL I love his expression in this pic. I like to joke that this is the same face I was wearing when he made me wait 10 extra days for him to be born orngtongue.gif

1000.jpg

#5 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Congratulations mama!  You worked so hard and I am so proud of you!  You did great.  You have showed tremendous emotional strength as well as physical strength.  Wishing you a loving babymoon and all the best!

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
#6 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Mahi. What a sweet message :)

#7 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM

My HBAC turned CBAC 3.5 years ago was one of the most amazing life changing experiences. I felt so strong and self confident afterwards. I am still so glad I had the experience and made those choices. Congratulations! You are so powerful.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#8 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

love.gif Thank you MSF. May I ask if your latest addition was a c/s as well? I am seriously thinking I can do an hba2c and no doc here in Austin will do a vbac after multiple c/s anyway so it'd be my only choice

#9 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 PM

oh. my. holy. cuteness!!!!!!!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#10 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

oh god!!!! I just want do die with the cuteness!!!!

Congratulations mama! What a wonderful story!

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#11 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys!!! I just love this shot so much!! love.gif I included it in a FB album with pics of him in various other Christmas outfits and poses...I am certainly not letting the money we spent on props go to waste! LOL! ROTFLMAO.gif

#12 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 PM

LOL that picture is priceless!!! What a sweet little grump face. luxlove.gif

Congratulations on your birth - sorry that it wasn't what you had wanted, but I'm so happy for you that you are able to look back and feel good about the experience. I think it makes a big difference when the hospital staff understands that you had wanted a homebirth but they don't judge you for it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmama1984 View Post

Oh and I thought I would upload a pic. Took this yesterday at 4 days old. We bought this outfit thinking he would be born before Christmas, but we didn't let that stop us from having a Christmas photoshoot LOL I love his expression in this pic. I like to joke that this is the same face I was wearing when he made me wait 10 extra days for him to be born orngtongue.gif

1000.jpg

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#13 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

We x-posted Nova. You are so right...the hospital staff made all the difference. I learned later that the nurses who handled my transfer are part of a team of nurses who are HB supportive and always choose to work with HB transfers, so they were especially awesome!

#14 of 24 Old 01-02-2011, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Congratulations on a beautiful little guy and a hard-working mom!  I'm glad you had such a wonderful birth team.  I was very lucky to have a great team for both my children (same team), and it makes all the difference in the world.

#15 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 AM

What an inspiring birth story. And such an inspiring woman. I hope the rest of your recovery goes as smoothly

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#16 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 AM

What a wonderful story!  When we had to go to the hospital for my unexplained bleeding at 37 weeks, it made all the difference in the world that the midwives and nurses there knew and were sympathetic to the fact that we didn;t really want to be there.

Thanks for sharing!

Emily--Married to the love of my life 2008--Joyful mommy to Rachel Elizabeth 12/10
PM me about low supply; insufficient glandular tissue; posterior tongue tie; lip tie bfinfant.gif
#17 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 06:10 AM

DDCC There are 12 days of Christmas...so keep busting out the festive props!!!  Congratulations!!!!!!!  What a cutie!

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#18 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

You ladies are making me teary!!! Thanks so much for the amazing support and encouragement. And just one more pic b/c babies+baskets= love.gif

1000-2.jpg

#19 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Awesome pics! Yep this birth was a planned c/s. It was a great birth. I wanted a birth where I had more control. I would have gone for vba2c if I had gone into labor on my own around my edd but didn't want to do an induction or wait till 41+ like last time.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#20 of 24 Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply MSF! I am glad to hear your birth was so great. That is one of my concerns about trying for an hba2c--I am considering doing parallel care with an OB just in case of a transfer and just pretending it was an accident if I had baby at home, but I wasn't sure if he would start trying to get me to go ahead with the c/s around 40 or so weeks (and I went to 41+3 before labor started this time). I am meeting with the doc for an incision check next week and I am going to try to feel him out about this issue. He seemed really amazing and like I said was totally respectful about my birth, so I hope I get a favorable response. But look at me, already planning my next birth with a 6 day old at home! LOL I have plenty of time to work all this out :)

#21 of 24 Old 01-04-2011, 07:24 PM

wow! what a story. Our stories have some similarities. I was planning a hbac as well, but ended up transferring late in labor because baby was having some serious heart rate decelerations. My midwives and I were sure I would be having a cbac, but I ended up with a vbac! I also had supportive, respectful hospital staff and that made all the difference. I am glad you feel at peace and happy with your birth, even though it didn't go as planned.

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#22 of 24 Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

FTM, i was thinking the exact same thing when I read your story and almost commented on that in your thread, but I did not want to hijack it!!! The only difference was that my baby's heart tones were fine the whole time, I just got freaked out by how quickly transition came on after laboring for 2 days so slowly! I really think I could have had a successful vbac in the hospital, but I was really too panicked and consented to a c/s. Next time, I will be going for an hba2c! thumb.gif

#23 of 24 Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM

We must have been reading and posting on each others stories at the same time, law mama. It sounds to me like you could have had a VBAC at the hospital too, but I am glad you are still content with having had another cesarean. I am so glad you got such an awesome o.b! I think it's great that you are wanting to give it another shot by trying for a hba2c. I really admire women who try for a VBAC after multiple cesareans. My husband and I may be done having children, but may also consider one more, and if I do have another, I would plan another home birth, and feel confident that if nothing unexpected occurs (like the heart rate decels we had this time) that I could have a home birth. I think it would be a lot easier for me mentally with a successful VBAC experience already. In some ways I would feel silly planning my third home birth ( I planned a home birth with my c/s baby as well), but my midwives and their care was so incredible that I would want that again. They gave so much of themselves too me, and I totally loved them. I am especially attached and bonded with one of my midwives, and would totally want her again for any future birth, but she has retired from midwifery, so unfortunately I couldn't hire her again. I'm trying to tell myself that I don't need to think about this right now, we would want to wait a few years anyway. I'm also trying to remind myself of the pain of labor, as it is already fading, and when I was in labor, and right after my son was born, I felt sure I never wanted to go through that again! How fast that memory fades and the good part remains!

Maria, wife to DH, mama to DS 09/2007, #2 12/2010 and hoping for a
#24 of 24 Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

FTTM, i am nak but i just want to say i could have written this post! lol down to the bonded with my mw part (except mine is not retiring thank goodness), already thinking about the next one (I don't think we are done), the pain fading, confidence in achieving the hb w/o the unexpected (and I would NOT panic this time lol), etc. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page