Ok, cough up your castor oil tips... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right.  I was not originally interested in this route, but there comes a time in every girl's life when castor oil starts to look mighty tasty...   Any dos or don'ts or hints?.... I will start researching it.   It is Saturday here, I was thinking about going for acupuncture on Monday and then trying on Tues morning, the midwife is coming Tues afternoon.  Or I may try on Sunday, got to admit I am going a tad loopy here! 

Had an osteopathic adjustment on Friday, I have a "cracker" pelvis apparently (that is good in NZ speak as far as I can tell lol) and been taking the blue cohosh for about 2 days.  Been doing some acupressure points kind of roughly too.  And all that sex and curries and walking stuff. 

Maybe I should just be patient, but the minute baby stops moving I start to get nervous.  I have had lots more show in the last 2 days, and lots of BH and cramps, but then I have been having lots of them since 37 weeks!  It has been a darned long wait I tell you!  That is 5 weeks of thinking baby will turn up!  (Gosh are you sure that there is nothing wrong, that is a long time for practice runs?....)

Ok, going to rouse my tired butt and try do some African dancing now to shake this wee one down....

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 PM

yes it's a long time but def doesn't mean any thing is wrong!  i've had that for my last 2 pregnancies and i totally understand that it's frustrating!  i'd wait until tues am for castor oil.  give the acupuncture a chance 1st.   then i'd check out what ina may says in guide to childbirth.  i hear a shake or smootie is good as is cooking it with scrambled eggs, well, as good as castor oil can be i guess!  good luck!  hopefully babe is here before you have a chance to try anything!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Being overdue can be perfectly normal. It can be frustrating waiting and waiting, but think of it as a lesson in patience, of which you'll need quite a bit as a mother.

As far as castor oil, I came across an interesting article during my pregnancy stating that it's possible for the castor oil to cause a bowel movement in the baby in utero. So beware that even natural inductions still have consequences.

Also, there is definitely something to be said about letting your baby choose his/her true birthday.

Listen to your instincts and good luck.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas, ok, I will put it off as long as I can.  It is just that there is so much pressure to induce I was thinking this might be teh lesser of two evils.  My midwife said that when we meet up on Tues that we really "have to" do something to get this baby going.  DH does not like being told what to do and bucks up anytime anyone says "we have to" or they will "make us" do anything so that is nice!  And he has been listening second hand to all the HypnoBabies affirmations long enough now that he repeats them back to me or whoever is listening when needed! So I have a fabulous support person, I just have days when I get scared, and I am worried that by aiming for what I believe is best for me and the baby, that I may get it wrong.  I have these images of little starving babies in mommas belly, getting all overcooked, choking on meconium while the placenta withers... Agh!  Thanks for that image midwife!  I am 42w2d today if you go from my ovulation date, 42w5d if you go from the LMP. 

On the other hand, the wee one is active, I have an awesome  diet and natural health practices and stress free life, the baby has had an ideal incubation period.  Plus my mother slow cooked all 4 of us (still never went into labor naturally though, was induced every time!)  I still feel that baby is healthy and happy (but I have fearful days and am just desperate to see LO, just to know that I did manage to grow a healthy happy baby, this is my first, so all the usual first time fears here!)

Anyway, you mamas are tough!  I can unequivocally say that this 9 months is the hardest thing mentally and physically I have ever done.  And I have done some tough stuff in my life!  But the sleep deprivation, physical discomforts and fears that can play on you during pregnancy are really something!  And yeah, I know what you are going to say, raising that child is even harder...

Married to my best friend and delightedly expecting #1 (30 Dec 10)
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 AM

DDC to say, parenting is harder, but more rewarding.  You hardly notice the sleep deprivation when you can look into that precious face and kiss those darling cheeks.  Don't worry!  You'll be there very soon!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

Old 01-17-2011, 12:04 PM

I second Sarah...smoothies wit OJ mask the taste, also the scram eggs. Good luck!! I also agree w/ littlebear but you are quickly approaching medical induction time so I say try everything like you natural first like you are. Hang in there, you'll be on the other side soon!!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.

User Tag List